The BEST Way to Cook Fresh Corn on the Cob ~ Oven Roasting!

Fresh ears of corn are oven roasted in their husks for tender, sweet corn that shucks effortlessly. This is the BEST way to cook fresh corn on the cob…it tastes better than boiled and there’s no sticky, messy silk to deal with!

The Easiest, Tastiest, BEST Way to Cook Fresh Corn on the Cob: Oven Roasting! Simply wash & cook...once done, husks and silk peel away with no mess! | FiveHeartHome.com

Today’s recipe isn’t exactly a recipe…it’s more of a method. Nevertheless, the few basic steps are beyond easy and the results are beyond delicious. I’m convinced that if you try this way of cooking fresh corn on the cob, it will become your favorite way to do so from here on out. Big talk, huh? Well, if you haven’t tried this method before, prepare to be pleasantly surprised!

So the biggest pro of cooking fresh corn on the cob is, of course, that it tastes really good. And the major con? It’s a big, sticky, stringy mess getting that yummy corn separated from the husks and silk. Well, this oven roasting method eliminates the mess, folks. Eliminates it! Seriously…let me walk you through how easy this is.

STEP 1: Do not peel your husks of corn…just wash them. Truthfully, you probably don’t even have to worry about this step, but I’m in the habit of washing all of my produce…if not to appease my germophobia, then to rinse off any pesticide residue. I also recommend cutting off the silk sticking out of the ends of the husks as well as any tips of leaves that are extending from the body of the corn. There’s probably nothing to worry about, but doing a little trimming beforehand makes me feel better about not catching anything on fire during roasting.

STEP 2: Preheat the oven to 350° and lay your ears of corn directly on the center-position oven rack. (I have only ever cooked as many corn cobs as I can fit in a single layer, so about 8 at a time. And yes, there are only 7 here. Just making sure you’re paying attention!) Cook for 30 minutes.

STEP 3: Remove the corn from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. (You’ll know the corn is done if it gives a bit when you squeeze it.) Using an oven mitt or kitchen towel, hold the base of each ear of corn and shuck away the husk and silk. Be careful of very hot, escaping steam! The silk should peel away easily with the husk.

STEP 4: Slather with butter! Sprinkle with salt and pepper! Serve hot and scarf it down!

Okay, you are not actually required to use butter, salt, or pepper…this corn actually tastes amazing perfectly plain, as displayed above. But however you choose to eat it, I think you will love it!

So just in time for Memorial Day weekend…just in time for summer barbecues and picnics and potlucks…just in time for 4th of July festivities…you are now privy to the easiest, yummiest, most mess-free way to cook fresh, sweet, PERFECT ears of corn! Enjoy, friends! And keep your eyes peeled for some upcoming recipes calling for fresh corn. Because now that we all know how easy it is to achieve effortless ears of roasted corn, I think we need to agree to include it in our recipes all summer long!

Have a wonderful long weekend with your families, and take a moment to remember the brave servicemen and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice serving our country. We are so blessed to live in America.

The BEST Way to Cook Fresh Corn on the Cob ~ Oven Roasting!

The BEST Way to Cook Fresh Corn on the Cob ~ Oven Roasting!

Fresh ears of corn are oven roasted in their husks for tender, sweet corn that shucks effortlessly. This is the BEST way to cook fresh corn on the cob...it tastes better than boiled and there's no sticky, messy silk to deal with!

• Fresh ears of corn, unpeeled and in husks

1. Place rack in center position of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Wash ears of corn. Cut off any silk hanging out the ends. Trim any tips of leaves extending from sides. Do not peel.
  3. Place ears of corn directly on oven rack. Cook for 30 minutes.
  4. Remove corn from oven. Corn is done when it gives a little beneath the husk when you squeeze it. Allow to cool for a few minutes before holding with a kitchen towel or oven mitt to peel. Beware of very hot, escaping steam. The silk and husks should remove easily. Use the husks as a handle or remove them altogether.

I keep my number of ears of corn to however many will fit in a single layer on the oven rack. If you decide to stack your corn in order to fit more, just be sure it doesn't get too close to the heating element in the oven. Also be aware that you may have to slightly increase the cooking time.

Recipe adapted from FoodNetwork.com.

Ideas to use your fresh roasted corn…

Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, & Fresh Corn
Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, and Fresh Corn ~ a perfect summer side dish or light supper! | FiveHeartHome.com

Corn, Black Bean, & Tomato Salad
Corn, Black Bean & Tomato Salad ~ this version of "Texas Caviar" is delicious as a side salad or as a dip with chips | {Five Heart Home}

Creamy Cheesy Corn Casserole
Creamy Cheesy Corn Casserole ~ decadent with cream cheese and cheddar, this corn is perfect as a holiday side dish and can even be made in the crock pot | {Five Heart Home}

Fresh Summer Corn DipFresh Summer Corn Dip ~ cool, creamy, and bursting with sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, and ribbons of basil | FiveHeartHome.com

Easy Creamed Corn with Parmesan
Easy Creamed Corn with Parmesan ~ creamy, decadent corn topped with Parmesan and baked until bubbly | FiveHeartHome.com

…and see all of our summer recipes << HERE!

Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram

This pos
t may be linked up to House of Rose, 4 Little Fergusons, and these fabulous parties!

Comments

1. A different idea. I’ll give it a try. Thank you Samantha.

I think you’ll really like this method, Liz! Every time I cook corn this way, I can’t get over how easy it is and how great it tastes. 🙂 Enjoy!

2. I’m definitely trying this when we have fresh corn. I always do it the messy way! Thanks!

You’ll never go back to the messy way again after trying this, Julie! 😉 Hope you’re having a great weekend!

3. i actually just read about this method somewhere, and i’m excited to try it out. glad you showed how easy and good it looks!

You should definitely give it a try…I think you’ll be pleased by how well it works! 🙂

4. YUM!!! Pinned! I’d love for you to share this at my Saturday Dishes Link Party this weekend! It’s a themed link up & this week’s theme is Memorial Day & Grilling! Feel free to share other posts that fit the theme as well if you have them! (:

Thanks so much for the invite, Marissa…I just linked up a few posts. 🙂

5. I love this, definitely going to have to try it soon!

6. My mouth is watering!
    *hugs*deb

7. I’ve never tried roasting corn in the oven! Sounds delicious and easy! I’d love if you’d come link up at Tickle My Tastebuds!

Julia @ Mini Van Dreams

8. I love corn on the cob! I’m going to have to give this a try. Thanks for the tips. I’d be thrilled if you’d link up at this week’s Off the Hook link party!

Thanks so much, Lauren! And I just linked up this post…I appreciate the invite! 🙂

9. Definitely pinning this and trying it this summer! I LOVE fresh corn on the cob and this method couldn’t be any easier!

Thanks, Carrie! I appreciate the pin, and I think you will love this method as much as you love fresh corn. 🙂 Enjoy!

10. I’ve been having my 7 year-old shuck corn whenever I bought some. How funny. Need to try this!

Ha, Amanda…sounds like your 7-year-old will be very happy that you discovered this method! 😉 Hope it makes cooking fresh corn easier at your house!

11. Yes! I LOVE making corn this way……it is so easy and absolutely delicious!

I agree, Cathy…I only wish I had discovered this method years sooner! It would have saved me a lot of frustration with sticky silk. 😛

12. Bryan R says:

Samantha just read your oven roasted corn on the cob method and i have not tried it yet but I am now looking forward to giving it a try in the next few days. I will let you know what the family thinks about it compared to the grilled method i always do.

Hi, Bryan! I hope this was (or will be) a hit with your family! I love the taste of grilled corn as well, but it’s so much easier to cook corn this way that I just can’t bring myself to messing with the silk anymore. 🙂 Thanks for taking the time to comment…hope you have a great week!

• Bryan R says:

Hi Samantha, Bryan R again, I Loved your oven roasted corn on the cob and I was very pleased with the ease of prep and the flavor was very good. It was much easier to deal with the silk just as you had said. Thank you and hope you have a nice weekend.

I’m so glad to hear that you had success cooking your corn this way, Bryan! I appreciate you coming back to let me know, and I hope you have a great weekend as well! 🙂

13. This is soooo great! I actually needed this yesterday when I cooked corn on the cob, for guess what… the FIRST TIME EVER! I was all online trying to find instructions so I didn’t boil the wrong. Ha, so sad! Pinned.

Ha, Mariel! Not sad at all…there’s a first time for everything. 😉 Hope this method works well for you when you try it. Thanks so much for the pin and happy Sunday! 🙂

14. Laurie says:

I love this. I made a blackberry cobbler and when that was done I put my corn in the oven. I love how the silk comes right off and I don’t have to stand there forever picking the silk off.

Isn’t this a great trick, Laurie? I’ve always hated dealing with sticky, messy silk, but this method of cooking pretty much eliminates the problem. 😉 Hope you enjoy lots of fresh corn all summer long!

15. Helen Hopkins says:

First time ever roasting corn in the oven! Absolutely delicious! Will definitely make again! Husband enjoyed it as well! Thanks for the recipe! Mmmmm Mmmmm Good!

So glad this was a hit, Helen! I can’t wait to buy some fresh corn and enjoy it cooked this way all summer long. In fact, I think you’ve just inspired me that it’s about that time… 😉

16. This way of cooking corn was new to me. I love it. Every time coon the cob is on my menu plan I am using this method.

So glad you found this method helpful, Cindy! And I totally agree…this is the only way I make corn on the cob anymore. 😉

17. We picked corn a few days ago at my family farm and came across your website. We don’t have a grill being in an apartment to the oven was a great option!

Today is Wednesday and the corn was picked Saturday. We kept it in a paper bag in the fridge until this evening. Then we peeled off the stray pieces, chopped the ends on both sides, then rinsed.

We actually cooked about 12-14 pieces between two racks (centered as much as possible) and they came out great after about 35 minutes. The corn was sweet and soft using this method. Thank you!

So glad to hear that this method was a hit, Amber! I bet your fresh-off-the-farm corn is especially delicious. 🙂 Thanks for the comment and have a great week!

18. Can I do this ahead and remove from cob and heat when ready to serve?

19. Williamsot says:

Appreciate you sharing!

20. Roasting says:

I see most of the comments are from about a year ago, but cooking corn on the cob is always the thing to do this season. I tried your simple method tonight. I don’t eat butter, so I was planning to put a little Sriracha sauce on it after I peeled down the husks. No way! Nature gave it all the flavor one could ask for. I am a firm believer in roasting veggies. It brings out their wonderful, caramelized flavor. The corn was wonderful, and the built in handle was good to have.
    Thanks.

So happy to hear that you enjoyed the results of this method! And I agree…roasting veggies always brings out their best flavor! 🙂

1. […] Best Way to Cook Fresh Corn on the Cob by Five Heart […]

2. […] came across this recipe (and I just got 12 cobs from a local farming couple) so I thought I would try it. Twelve corn cobs […]