Blackberry Cobbler

This homemade blackberry cobbler is a simple, scrumptious dessert featuring plump, tart berries ribboning a layer of sweet, tender cake. And don’t forget the vanilla ice cream!

Homemade Blackberry Cobbler ~ delicious served warm out of the oven with vanilla ice cream! | FiveHeartHome.com

I hope that everyone had a nice weekend! We had a pretty relaxing, low-key few days full of food and family. But just about the best part of all is that we got some rain! Texas is in a terrible drought right now, so we are overjoyed at every drop of precipitation, even if it did ruin our plans to go to the pool this weekend.

But back to the food! One of the recipes I made this weekend to celebrate the long weekend was Blackberry Cobbler. I don’t know about you, but there aren’t many baked desserts that bring summer to my mind more than a homemade cobbler…served warm, oozing with fruit, and topped with vanilla ice cream. I realize that different regions around the country make different versions of cobbler, and while they all involve fruit and some type of dough or batter, there are various expectations of what a cobbler should truly be. Well, I’m not here to argue technical or historical definitions, but I would venture to claim that this is a pretty common manifestation of cobbler in the south.

Your start with your fruit, and in Texas, that typically means peaches or blackberries, since those are abundant through the summer in these parts. Of course, when your favorite stone fruit or berry is out of season, frozen fruit makes a great substitute for fresh. To make this cobbler, simply cook your desired fruit with a simple syrup until it gets, well, syrupy. In the meantime, whip up a basic batter. Melt your butter in a baking dish, pour in the batter, and then spoon the fruit on top. The fruit will initially sink, but as your cobbler bakes, some of it will rise to the top. The result is a cake-like dessert with a gorgeous fruity layer ribboned throughout.

And did I mention ice cream? In my humble opinion, cobbler is best served warm (either fresh out of the oven or reheated), and it must be topped with vanilla ice cream. If you’re feeling particularly industrious, homemade is even better. 😉

I’m not ashamed to admit that I’ve been known to enjoy this Blackberry Cobbler for breakfast. It’s made with fruit, right? So it can’t be that bad. Of course, it’s easier to justify eating cobbler for breakfast than ice cream, but what’s a girl to do?

Well, let me tell you what a girl does. A girl gets a carton of vanilla yogurt out of the fridge and spoons that on top of her cobbler for a perfectly acceptable breakfast variation. Brilliant, right? And, I can assure you, delicious.

So the next time you have an occasion to make a summertime sweet treat — like perhaps this weekend? — go for this glorious Blackberry Cobbler! It’s like the downhome comfort food of desserts. And rumor has it it can even double as breakfast. 😉

Blackberry Cobbler

Blackberry Cobbler

• 4 cups fresh blackberries
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. In a medium pot, combine blackberries, 1 cup sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
  3. While blackberries are cooking, whisk together flour, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Slowly blend in milk and vanilla and mix until batter is smooth.
  4. Put butter (sliced into 6 equal pieces) in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and place in preheated oven for a couple of minutes to melt. Remove dish from oven and tilt so that butter evenly coats the bottom. Slowly pour batter over melted butter. Gently spoon berries and syrup evenly over batter without stirring.
  5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cobbler is light golden brown and tests done with a toothpick inserted in the center. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.

A 16-ounce bag of frozen blackberries (thawed) may be substituted for fresh.

The blackberries will start to break down when they are simmered. If you prefer some whole blackberries in your cobbler, you may simmer only 3 cups of berries with the sugar and water and then stir in the remaining 1 cup of berries after removing from the heat.

Blackberries are typically pretty tart, but if you use particularly sweet blackberries, you may reduce the sugar used in the simple syrup.

More summer favorites…

(Click title below photo to be taken to recipe)

Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Hot Dogs | {Five Heart Home}

Bacon-Wrapped Cheese-Stuffed Hot Dogs

Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, and Fresh Corn ~ a perfect summer side dish or light supper! | FiveHeartHome.com

Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, & Fresh Corn

German Potato Salad ~ a perfect side dish for a summertime dinner from the grill, picnic, or holiday potluck | FiveHeartHome.com

German Potato Salad

The Easiest, Tastiest, BEST Way to Cook Fresh Corn on the Cob: Oven Roasting! Simply wash & cook...once done, husks and silk peel away with no mess! | FiveHeartHome.com

The BEST Way to Cook Fresh Corn

Homemade Strawberry Syrup for Strawberry Soda ~ easy, 3-ingredient syrup can also be used in cocktails or drizzled over ice cream, pound cake, waffles, etc. | FiveHeartHome.com

Homemade Strawberry Soda

…and see all of our summer recipes << HERE!

Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram

This pos
t may be linked up to House of Rose, 4 Little Fergusons, and these fabulous parties!

Comments

“Berry” cobbler has always been my very favorite! We had it all year round, thanks to my grandmother freezing some berries. The best ones are the wild ones. And she spoiled us- no seeds! Thank you!

No seeds?! Boy, Deb, you were spoiled… 😉 Seriously, though, I bet your grandmother’s cobbler was wonderful. And I agree that wild berries are the sweetest and the best! Did y’all call them dewberries, too?

• Debbie Caraballo says:

Yes we did call them dewberries! Of course most of the time we just called them berries. I grew up with a Boxer who would keep ahead and eat them off the vines. Had to leave her at home. Awesome days!

2. That blackberry cobbler looks amazing! In fact, just a bowl of blackberries like that would satisfy me. They’re so sweet and delicious!

Thank you! I love blackberries, too, in just about any incarnation. Plain is great but ice cream on top is even better — ha! 😉

3. Still drooling over this cobbler, Samantha!! Can’t wait to try it!

Thank you, Liz! It’s so easy to throw together. Hope you enjoy it if you have a chance to try it! 🙂

4. Every single bite of this looks amazing. Those berries!!! How perfect for a summer treat.

Thanks so much, Matt…I appreciate your thoughtful comment! This dessert definitely makes me ready for summer. 🙂

5. I am totally with you—–fresh berry cobbler says SUMMER to me. That photo where the ice cream is melting a bit, which says the cobbler is warm. Oh my that made me salivate involuntarily. Sigh.

Sorry to do that to you, Carol! You’ll just have to make some cobbler soon and eat it warm with ice cream on top to satisfy the craving… 😉

6. Samantha, you have stolen my heart! I love all your recipes, and this one looks fabulous! I am definitely making this soon because I think blackberries are on sale this week for $1. Thank you for the recipe!

7. This looks amazing & my Hubby LOVES blackberries so I’m sure we’ll be making this soon!!! Thanks for linking up at Saturday Dishes! This will be one of my features this weekend, so feel free to stop by & grab a button! I can’t wait to see what other yummy recipes you have to share in future weeks (:

Thanks so much, Marissa! I really appreciate the feature and I hope that your hubby enjoys this cobbler when you make it for him! 🙂

8. This recipe looks so delicious! And it would be perfect, also with the ice cream!

9. A cobbler worthy of a Stumble! Thanks.

Awww…I’m so glad to hear that, Patti! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy! 🙂

10. Samantha, your cobbler looks perfectly amazing! I love blackberries so much and yes, this is definitely worth having for breakfast – maybe even lunch or dinner, too! 🙂 Thanks for sharing your recipe!! Pinning!

I so appreciate that, Cindy! I can’t get enough of blackberries right now. I just visited your recipe and wow…I know what I’m making next! 🙂

11. So I love this!! Blackberries are one of my favorite berries! That dollop of cream on top is AMAZING 🙂

Thanks so much, Zainab! Blackberries are so yummy this time of year. I’ll be making this cobbler as often as I can while they’re in season…and then I’ll make it with frozen berries. 😉 Happy Friday, and hope you have a great weekend!

12. Samantha, that cobbler is gorgeous!! I absolutely agree, that anything made with fruit works for breakfast! 😉

Great minds think alike, Lisa…breakfast cobbler for all! 😉 Thanks for stopping by…hope your weekend is getting off to a great start!

13. This looks like the perfect dessert, especially with a scoop of ice cream! I’m loving fresh berries right now:)

14. Oh my heck this looks amazing! I love blackberries and any kind of cobbler! Pinned 🙂

Thanks so much, Chelsea! I’m with you…blackberries and cobbler can’t be beat, on their own or in a happy little marriage. 😉 Thanks for stopping by…hope you’re having a great week!

15. Blackberries are one of my favorite fruits…right off the bush or baked in a delicious cobbler. This recipe looks delicious. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks for sharing it!

Thank you, Nicole! I hope you enjoy this cobbler…it’s a summertime staple at my house! 😉

16. I have made this cobbler three times now, and my husband loves it!!

1. […] to the features… I have been dreaming about this blackberry cobble from five heart home pass me a spoon […]

2. […] Wednesdays Pinterest board so make sure you’re following along. ON to the features… I have been dreaming about this blackberry cobble from five heart home pass me a spoon please it’s summer, and eating more fruit is important right? I’ll […]

3. […] Wednesdays Pinterest board so make sure you’re following along. ON to the features… I have been dreaming about this blackberry cobble from five heart home pass me a spoon please it’s summer, and eating more fruit is important right? I’ll […]