Double Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream {Dairy-Free}

This creamy chocolate ice cream is made with coconut milk and ribboned with flecks of semi-sweet chocolate for a decadent dessert that’s also dairy-free.

I’m not gonna’ lie, folks…ice cream is right up there amongst my least favorite foods to photograph. In fact, this is a post that almost didn’t come to be because I just didn’t feel that these photos were up to par. But I decided that this recipe was just too good not to share, and even if I made and photographed it on five more occasions, my photos probably wouldn’t turn out any better. I guess I’m just meant to eat ice cream, not take pictures of it. 😉

Double Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream ~ a delicious treat that can be made dairy-free | FiveHeartHome.com Have you tried ice cream made from coconut milk before? I first discovered it when I had to go dairy-free for almost a year while nursing my milk protein intolerant daughter. In the beginning, going without dairy was really, really difficult. There were so many things I couldn’t eat, and when I feel deprived of something, I’m always hungry (even when I’m not).

Slowly but surely, however, I figured out dairy-free substitutes for most of my favorite foods. And after trying ice creams made with almond milk, rice milk, and coconut milk, the coconut milk version was my far and away favorite. Unfortunatley, it was also really expensive — like $5 for a tiny pint — so it didn’t take me long to figure out that I could enjoy it more often if I made it myself. And guess what? My homemade coconut ice cream tasted even better than what I could buy in the frozen foods section!

Even better is that I could play with the flavors! When you make ice cream out of coconut milk, there is a definite coconutty undertone. Some flavors are complemented by that coconut, and some kind of clash with it. I quickly determined that chocolate happens to be an excellent addition to coconut milk.

This homemade ice cream is simple to make. The chocolate flavor comes from not only cocoa powder, but also melted chocolate that is drizzled into the churning ice cream just before it’s done. The result is little shards of chocolate speckling your batch of ice cream. If you’re all fancy and into gelato and such, you may have heard of this chocolate phenomenon referred to as stracciatella, which means little shred in Italian. But rather than giving you a recipe title that you might not be able to pronounce (I know I can’t), I decided to keep things simple and go with Double Chocolate. Hope you don’t mind. 😉

In case you’re wondering why this batch of frosty deliciousness proved so frustrating to photograph, it primarily has to do with the fact that homemade ice cream (particularly when made with coconut milk instead of heavy cream) starts out like soft serve and then freezes into a pretty darn solid block once you pop it in the freezer for multiple hours. So I had to decide between taking pictures of ice cream that would melt faster than I could adjust the settings of my camera, or ice cream that was too hard to form into attractive, photogenic scoops. Granted, this ice cream may have been easier to scoop had I taken it out of the freezer after only a couple of hours, but my kids were a-preventin’ that, so 24 hours later, I did the best I could. My recommendation? Let your ice cream soften at room temperature for about 15 minutes before you attempt scooping it…unless you’re handy with a chisel.

One last note…this ice cream is naturally dairy-free as long as you use dairy-free chocolate. Or you could leave the melted chocolate out altogether if that makes life easier (though slightly less delicious). Or if you don’t have an issue with dairy, you can use regular ol’ chocolate. My lactose intolerant eldest son can handle the small amounts of dairy found in regular chocolate, but he can’t tolerate straight cow’s milk or ice cream. So even though I can once again enjoy dairy these days, I frequently make this Double Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream for him. And who am I kidding? I eat it, too…and so does the rest of the family…because, well, it’s just that good!

Double Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

Double Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

This creamy chocolate ice cream is made with coconut milk and ribboned with flecks of semi-sweet chocolate for a decadent dessert that's also dairy-free.

• 2 (13.5-ounce) cans good quality, full-fat coconut milk, chilled
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 ounces dairy-free chocolate chips, melted and cooled
  • Toasted coconut for garnish, optional

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a blender or food processor, combine coconut milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Mix or blend/process until smooth and thoroughly combined.
  2. Freeze ice cream in an ice cream maker, following manufacturer's directions. About five minutes before ice cream is done (when it starts pulling away from the sides of the bowl and has reached the stage of adding solid ingredients), slowly drizzle in the melted chocolate. The chocolate should break into shards and spread throughout the ice cream as it finishes churning. If the chocolate solidifies on the arm of the ice cream maker in a big chunk, momentarily turn off the ice cream maker and break up the chocolate with a spoon before continuing.
  3. Serve immediately for a soft serve consistency or cover and freeze for several hours until desired firmness is reached. If ice cream freezes solid, allow it to soften at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.

You can usually find cans of coconut milk in the Asian food section of the grocery store. Make sure you don't buy reduced fat coconut milk.

If you don't require dairy-free ice cream, you may use regular chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.

More frosty summer treats…

(Click title below photo to be taken to recipe)

Dye-Free Fruit Juice Snow Cones ~ all natural, no food coloring | {Five Heart Home}

Dye-Free Fruit Juice Snow Cones

Frozen Orange Creamsicle Pie with a Pretzel Crust | FiveHeartHome.com

Frozen Orange Creamsicle Pie with a Pretzel Crust

Razz, White, & Blueberry Smoothie ~ perfect for the Fourth of July! | {Five Heart Home}

Razz White & Blueberry Smoothies

Fresh Pineapple Margaritas ~ made with fresh lime juice and pineapple purée, these are perfect for celebrating Cinco de Mayo | FiveHeartHome.com

Fresh Pineapple Margaritas

…and see all of our summer recipes << HERE!

Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram

This pos
t may be linked up to House of Rose, 4 Little Fergusons, and these fabulous parties!

Comments

1. This is amazing, Samantha – the flavors, the texture, the photos, you name it. Love this!

Thank you so much, Matt! It vanished pretty quick at my house… 😉 Thanks for stopping by!

2. This ice cream looks so delicious! I love that it’s made with coconut milk too, such a nice added touch!

Thanks, Gayle! I love coconut milk, so it was a great discovery when I figured out how to turn it into ice cream! 😉

3. Holy cow, Samantha! My lactose intolerant husband will rejoice over this glorious treat. We’ve been experimenting with coconut and almond milk ice creams and can’t wait to try your version. And please keep making and sharing ice cream recipes, even if it is a pain to photograph 🙂

I hope y’all love it, Amy! I was drooling over your piña colada mango ice cream the other day…going to have to make that one next! 😉

4. YUUUUUUM – Samantha- you are killing me 🙂

5. Caroleene says:

This looks amazing! Do you have any ice cream maker recommendations?

6. Wow! Now this looks like the perfect Ice Cream Samantha and I love that it is dairy free. Seriously all my favorite flavors! YUM! Pinned!

Thank you, Krista! Those just so happen to be a few of my favorite flavors as well. 😉 I really appreciate the pin…hope your weekend is off to a fabulous start!

7. I love the idea of ice cream made with coconut milk, and for what it’s worth I think your photos look great. Somehow the ice cream looks a bit more appetizing to me when it’s slightly melted. The lovely Aimee from the blog Wallflower Girl has just published a book called Coconut Milk Ice Cream – sounds cool, doesn’t it?

Thanks to much, Helen, and I appreciate your tip about the coconut milk ice cream book…it sounds like something I definitely need to check out! 🙂

8. Your photos really highlight how creamy creamy creamy this is without any cream cream cream. Good Job. Dairy free is such a plus too!

Thank you, Carol! This ice cream definitely turns out creamy. I love using coconut milk whenever I can, so it’s a fun excuse to make ice cream! 😉

9. Nice job! This looks and sounds delicious 🙂

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

Thanks so much! This ice cream was a definite hit with my family, especially my lactose-intolerant 6-year-old. 🙂

10. Delish, Samantha! Chocolate and coconut together make for one good ice cream!

Thanks so much, Melanie! I agree…coconut and chocolate are a match made in heaven. 😉 Have a wonderful weekend!

11. This looks AMAZING!!!!! Sounds so good with all the coconut milk in it.

Thank you, Maria! It’s nice and coconutty under all that chocolate! 😉 Hope you have a chance to try it sometime…I appreciate you stopping by!

12. Mmmm… chocolate and coconut are the best combo. This looks SO refreshing. I host a Monday link party called “Off the Hook” and I’d love to see you link it up!

13. This ice cream looks scrumptious! I love chocolate and coconut and to have it dairy free is fantastic! Thanks for sharing on Two Cup Tuesday.

14. Oh. My. Goodness. This looks AMAZING! I think I’m actually salivating right now. Ha! I so wish I had found this months ago, my daughter was also milk intolerant while I breastfed. I had to go completely dairy free, which was the hardest thing for me to do. I was craving chocolate and dessert so bad, but most had dairy! Even though I can have dairy now, I’m still trying this. Pinning, thank you!! 🙂 (I came over from Hit Me With Your Best Shot and got distracted by this recipe!!)

Thanks, Amanda! It sounds like we had similar experiences…my daughter was milk protein intolerant as a baby as well so I couldn’t have a trace of dairy for a year! It was so hard at first, but recipes like this one saved me. 😉 Thanks so much for the pin and I hope you enjoy this ice cream when you try it! 🙂

15. my family is dairy free as well and finding good alternatives can be so hard.
    This Icecream looks delisous, and your photos are beautiful!

Thanks so much, Lisa! I hope your family enjoys this ice cream if y’all have a chance to try it. 🙂

1. Cool Treats says:

[…] Double Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream from Five Heart Home […]

2. […] Happy Food Healthy Life 2. Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwiches from Half Pint Baker 3. Double Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream from Five Heart Home 4. Strawberry Lime Sorbet from Lemons for Lulu 5. Frozen Chocolate & […]

3. […] from Happy Food Healthy Life 2. Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwiches from Half Pint Baker 3. Double Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream from Five Heart Home 4. Strawberry Lime Sorbet from Lemons for Lulu 5. Frozen Chocolate & Oreo […]

4. […] Happy Food Healthy Life 2. Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwiches from Half Pint Baker 3. Double Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream from Five Heart Home 4. Strawberry Lime Sorbet from Lemons for Lulu 5. Frozen Chocolate & […]