Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs with Cheese are cooked on the grill and take a summertime staple to the next level…they’re sure to be a hit at any party or barbecue!
Benjamin Franklin once said that in this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes, and the fact that bacon makes everything better.
Ol’ Ben was onto something, don’t you think?
I can probably count on one hand the number of times per year that I eat a hot dog. It’s not that I don’t enjoy them when I do. But hot dogs are just kind of situational/seasonal for me. I’ll have one at a baseball game in the spring. I’ll enjoy one at a BBQ in the summer. Or with chili on top in the fall. But oozing with cheese and wrapped in bacon like these Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs with Cheese? Well, that could make eating a hot dog (or three) a weekly affair.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs with Cheese
If you’re looking to take your next cook-out to the next level, might I suggest the following method: take a package of plump, good-quality hot dogs, slit them down the middle, stuff them with sharp cheddar, and wrap them snugly in a jacket of flavorful bacon.
Then take your time grilling them so that, as the cheese melts, the bacon gets nice and crispy all the way around. I’m telling you, you’ll never want to eat a plain hot dog again.
Sure, my kids enjoyed these, but they don’t yet have the abundant appreciation for bacon that takes 30-plus years to fully cultivate. So I’m telling you now, if you L-O-V-E bacon like I do, you must try these hot dogs. Even if you’re lukewarm towards hot dogs and/or cheese, you must try these hot dogs. And if you want to go all Emeril on me and kick it up yet another a notch, you could even stuff some sauerkraut and/or sautéed onions on top of the cheese before wrapping the whole caboodle in bacon.
I know, I know…bacon is not exactly health food and, as responsible adults, we should enjoy it in moderation. But the same could be said about hot dogs. So I’m going to side with Mr. Franklin on this one and say that it’s okay, nay encouraged, to wrap your hot dogs in bacon. For special occasions, of course. And if this upcoming Fourth of July isn’t the type of special occasion that calls for a Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog with Cheese? Well, I don’t know what is.
More Summer Recipes
- Grilled Flank Steak
- The Easiest, Tastiest, BEST Way to Cook Fresh Corn
- Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds
- German Potato Salad
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs with Cheese
- 8 large hot dogs
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, sliced into thin sticks
- 8 to 12 slices bacon (1 to 1 1/2 slices per hot dog)
- Toothpicks (about 3 per hot dog, pre-soaked in water)
- For each hot dog, cut a lengthwise slit about 3/4 of the way through, leaving the ends intact. Stuff the cheese tightly inside. Using a toothpick, secure a strip of bacon at one end of the hot dog and start wrapping, keeping the bacon snug but avoiding overlapping. If you run out of bacon before you get to the end of the hot dog, continue your wrapping with another half strip. Secure bacon with toothpicks in the center and at the end of the hot dog.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Place hot dogs over indirect heat and grill first side for 4 minutes or until bacon is crispy and cooked through on that side. Rotate hot dogs a quarter of a turn and repeat. Continue until all four sides of each bacon-covered hot dog are cooked.
- Remove toothpicks and serve hot dogs on toasted buns with desired condiments.
- Soaking your toothpicks in water ahead of time will prevent them from catching on fire.
- Use fairly thin-sliced bacon in order to ensure that your bacon cooks all the way through.