Chocolate Banana Muffins combine half plain banana batter and half chocolate banana batter in sweet, moist, bakery-style muffins that make a perfect breakfast or snack!
I've pretty much decided that chocolate and bananas were made for each other. When I have overripe bananas, I often find myself making simple banana treats OR going over the top with a batch of Triple Chocolate Banana Bread...but never before have I combined the two. Until today. And WOW. What was I waiting for? These Chocolate Banana Muffins are so darn good.
If you're in the mood for a super delicious, slightly decadent, bakery-style muffin treat, this scrumptious recipe fits all of those criteria and more. They are light and fluffy, with an addition of sour cream that really boosts their moisture level. And fortunately, they don't even need to go overboard on the sugar since the mashed bananas lend a good dose of natural sweetness.
Half and Half Muffins
But of course, the kicker comes when you divide the batter in half and stir some melted unsweetened chocolate into one of the bowls.
Then simply use a spoon or small cookie scoop to fill your cupcake liners with half plain batter and half chocolate batter.
Or -- if you so wish -- you can layer or swirl the two batters together to your little heart's content. After all, marbled Chocolate Banana Muffins would be equally gorgeous and tasty!
It is possible that, in the course of dividing your muffin batter, you may not get the amounts in your bowls perfectly even. And you may end up with a slightly disproportionate amount of chocolate batter. Which may result in a "completely chocolate" muffin or two at the end. But you know what? It will all be okay. Because being imprecise has its advantages sometimes...
And that's it, folks! Easy-to-whip-up Chocolate Banana Muffins with a flavor and texture worthy of any coffee shop or bakery. Not to mention the fact that they're totally fun to eat with that split banana bread/chocolate banana bread personality. So the next time you're pondering how to use up those overripe bananas, go forth and make scrumptious half-and-half muffins! You won't be disappointed. 🙂
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana, from approximately 2 large or 3 medium overripe bananas
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare muffin pans by lining 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until smooth, and then beat in the sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in the egg, vanilla, mashed bananas, and sour cream until fully incorporated (batter may look curdled at this point...it will smooth out with addition of flour). Gently mix in the dry ingredients until just blended.
- Scoop half of the batter into a second bowl. Stir the melted unsweetened chocolate into one of the bowls of batter until fully incorporated.
- Use a spoon (or small cookie scoop) to scoop plain banana batter into half of a muffin liner. Use another spoon to scoop chocolate batter into the other half of the muffin liner. Repeat until all twelve muffin liners are full. (Alternatively, you may layer and/or swirl the batter with a toothpick for marbled muffins.)
- Bake muffins for 17 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center just comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pans for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- Recipe can be easily doubled.
- For more wholesome muffins, you can always substitute whole wheat pastry flour for the all-purpose flour.