Caprese Chicken Salad combines two summertime favorites, featuring juicy tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and fresh basil tossed with diced chicken in a homemade, Greek yogurt-based balsamic dressing.
Happy Friday, y’all…hope the week has treated you well! We’ve been enjoying July while doing our best to survive Texas’ current heat wave…which feels akin to opening a hot oven or, you know, skipping across the surface of the sun. But enough chit-chat about the weather. I’m way excited to share today’s recipe with y’all, so let’s get to it, shall we?
If you’re anything like me, your love of chicken salad is vast…and it’s roughly equivalent to your love of caprese salad. Yep, I utterly adore both. As a result, I’ve come up with a plethora of versions of chicken salad over the years, and I’ve also given a variety of recipes a caprese twist. But it never occurred to me to combine the two until a few days ago, and holy wow…what took me so long?!
Caprese Chicken Salad is exactly what it sounds like. I took the classic ingredients of caprese salad — tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and balsamic vinegar — and incorporated them into my tried-and-true chicken salad recipe. The resulting deliciousness is an explosion of bright color and fresh flavor…tender chicken coated in a creamy balsamic dressing (made with a base of Greek yogurt and kissed with honey) and studded with juicy tomatoes, pearls of fresh mozzarella, and ribbons of fresh basil.
It is so good, y’all…so good.
So have your chicken salad and eat it, too, while simultaneously enjoying some of the best flavors of summer! Caprese Chicken Salad would be a showstopper at a ladies’ luncheon or a bridal shower. It would be right at home in a picnic basket. Or throw together a big batch of it, pile it on mini croissants, and pop it in the fridge to feed to your family for a quick, light dinner after a long day at the pool (which was the fate of the chicken salad pictured here…shouldn’t all chicken salads meet such a happy ending?).
I don’t know that I’ve ever met a chicken salad I didn’t like, but this one just rocketed to the top of the list. Try it soon and I hope you’ll agree!
P.S. For a quick tutorial on how to chiffonade basil, check out the photos and explanation in this post. 🙂
Caprese Chicken Salad Recipe
Caprese Chicken Salad
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked diced chicken, about 4 cups
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 8-ounce tub fresh mozzarella pearls
- 1 small bunch basil, leaves washed, dried, & sliced into ribbons (chiffonade)
- In a large bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt, garlic powder, and pepper until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, for up to two days.
- To the bowl of dressing, add diced chicken, tomato halves, mozzarella pearls, and basil. Carefully stir until all ingredients are evenly coated. Adjust salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to chill and allow the flavors to blend.
- You may substitute regular plain yogurt for the Greek yogurt, but it will make your dressing thinner.
- You may cook chicken using your favorite method (or use rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken). Seasoned chicken (using at least salt & pepper) will give your chicken salad more flavor. You may dice it or shred it depending on your preferred chicken salad texture. I poached 3 (average-sized) boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Fresh mozzarella pearls are the smallest size mozzarella balls (one size smaller than ciliegine). If you can't find them, you can always buy larger mozzarella balls to halve or quarter, or a big ball of fresh mozzarella to cut into cubes.
- This dressing is slightly sweet to balance out the acidity of the balsamic vinegar. If you would prefer it more savory, feel free to reduce the amount of honey.
More Yummy Salads
- Caprese Orzo Salad
- Chicken Salad with Apples & Cashews
- Chicken Berry Pasta Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Thai Chicken Chopped Salad with Peanut Dressing