Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread is a soft, moist, easy-to-make quick bread bursting with ripe banana, creamy chocolate chips, and chewy coconut!
I apologize for missing my usual post this past Monday, y’all. We were traveling back from our (wonderful, relaxing, FUN!) summer vacation in Colorado, and I just didn’t have it in me to work on the road while entertaining three restless kiddos. The good news is that before we left, I got several weeks worth of posts and social media scheduling done ahead of time, meaning I was free to enjoy our vacation without working, only occasionally checking in on the ol’ blog (YAY!). The bad news is that now that we’re back, I have lots of work ahead of me to get back into the swing of things (BOO). But it was well worth having a break and some quality family time. 🙂
Luckily, I made and photographed this Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread back in June — before my travel to Canada and then Colorado commenced — keeping it in my back pocket until just the right time. Lucky for us, today is the right time! Although I have to admit, revisiting these photos has given me a craving for this banana bread again. You can bet I now have plans for the rapidly-browning bananas currently sitting on my counter…just a few more days…
Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread is exactly what it sounds like…traditional banana bread kicked up with creamy chunks of chocolate (I used a combo of semisweet + milk) and chewy shreds of coconut. It’s sweet, it’s moist, and it’s downright delectable. The tantalizing scent that emanates from the oven while it’s baking is actually reason enough to make it…the amazing flavor and texture are added bonuses!
This recipe gets filed into the Decadent Banana Baked Goods category, along with treats like my Chocolate Chip Nutella Swirl Banana Bundt Cake, Frosted Brown Butter Banana Bars, and Triple Chocolate Banana Bread. For more wholesome banana recipe options, you can always check out my Healthy Whole Wheat & Honey Banana Muffins, Banana Oat Snack Cake, or Banana Breakfast Cookies. See…something for everyone! I clearly believe in a balanced banana diet. 😉
I realize that some parts of the country are hotter than others right now (here’s looking at you, Texas), so I will totally understand if you can’t bear the thought of turning on your oven until, sayyyy, October or so. If that’s the case, simply file away this recipe until that time (I hear Pinterest works well…). 😉
But if you currently and simultaneously boast overripe bananas, a kitchen that’s *not* overheated, and a hankering for the best banana bread this side of the Mississsippi…well then, my friend, this Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread is for you! Make it, love it, share it, REPEAT! The second time, you can even keep it all to yourself…
Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread
Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup mashed banana*, from 3 to 4 overripe medium-sized bananas
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips/chunks, semisweet, milk, or a combo, plus additional for top (optional)
- 1 cup shredded coconut, plus additional for top (optional)
- Arrange an oven rack in the center position of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Grease an 8- by 4-inch loaf pan with softened butter, or generously coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to blend the butter until creamy. Mix in the brown sugar and beat for 1 minute. Stir in the eggs, mashed banana, and vanilla until well blended (it's okay if it looks a little curdled at this point). Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and the shredded coconut.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips and/or coconut, if using, and lightly press into the surface (if stray pieces of coconut are sticking up, they will burn). Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until the outside of the bread is dark and crunchy and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (unless you stick it in a chocolate chip!).
- Allow the bread to cool for at least 10 minutes before turning it out of the pan onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Serve warm or at room temperature. Once completely cool, tightly wrap or cover any leftover banana bread and store it on the counter for up to a couple of days (and in the refrigerator after that).
More Yummy Banana Treats
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
- Banana Bread & Chocolate Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Almond Banana Smoothie
- Tropical Banana Ice Cream