Honeydew melon, green grapes, kiwi fruit, & fresh mozzarella are dressed up with a sweet & tangy syrup in these Fruit & Mozzarella Skewers with Honey Lime Drizzle, a fun & healthy summer kabob that’s delicious for poolside, picnics, or parties!
How was y’all’s Independence Day? We celebrated America’s 240th birthday with a fun holiday weekend that included plenty of relaxing, family time, a patriotic parade, a fireworks show, and ample opportunities for eating yummy food. In addition to grilled grub and sweet treats, I whipped up some fruit kabobs for a family get-together on Sunday, and they turned out so cute and tasty I thought I’d share them with y’all here today!
I’ve always been a sucker for monochromatic food, so when I found myself with a shopping cart full of green fruit last week, I thought it might be pretty to throw it into a fruit salad or skewer it up as some fruit kabobs. As you can see, the latter idea won out. At the last minute, I decided to layer in some fresh mozzarella balls for a bit of savory contrast. And then, for extra flavor and shine, I drizzled the kabobs with a mixture of fresh lime juice, lime zest, and honey. The end result was these Fruit & Mozzarella Skewers with Honey Lime Drizzle that were almost too pretty to eat! Almost.
I love making fruit kabobs all summer long because not only are they fun to eat and easy to make, but they’re also healthy. You can whip them up for a get-together, as I did this past weekend. You can set a platter of them by the pool to be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. You can tuck some into a picnic basket. Or you can simply stock the fridge with them for a ready-made, cool and refreshing snack on a hot day.
PRO TIP: Just be sure to snip off the sharp ends of the wooden skewers before serving if you have energetic boys who are prone to spontaneous sword-fighting with makeshift swords. Ask me how I know…
These Fruit & Mozzarella Skewers will be popular with the kiddos because doesn’t food on a stick just seem special?! And they’re fancied up for adults as well between the creamy mozzarella and the lime zest-flecked drizzle. In full disclosure, some less-adventurous kids may not care for the mozzarella, so you can always opt to leave it out. Alternatively, you can seize the opportunity to relieve any dining companions of their unwanted mozzarella, meaning more for you! 😉
I hope your July is off to a great start and I hope you’ll have a chance to try these lovely green fruit kabobs soon! After all, Fruit & Mozzarella Skewers with Honey Lime Drizzle are a great way to celebrate a special occasion…or just an ordinary summer day. 🙂
Fruit & Mozzarella Skewers with Honey Lime Drizzle Recipe
Fruit & Mozzarella Skewers with Honey Lime Drizzle
- 1/2 honeydew melon, chilled and scooped into 24 balls
- 24 large green seedless grapes, chilled
- 3 large kiwi fruit, peeled & cut into 4 thick slices each (for 12 slices total)
- 1 tub (8-ounces) fresh mini mozzarella balls , (ciliegine)
- 1 large lime, for 1 teaspoon zest & 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 12 10- to 12-inch wooden skewers
- Onto a wooden skewer, thread a melon ball, a grape, a mozzarella ball, a kiwi fruit slice, another mozzarella ball, another grape, and another melon ball. Repeat until all kabobs are made and set aside.
- Wash and dry a lime, and then zest 1 teaspoon of grated lime zest; transfer to a small bowl. Juice the lime and measure 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice into the bowl with the zest. Add honey and stir until honey is completely dissolved.
- Drizzle honey lime syrup over fruit skewers and serve immediately. (Or refrigerate skewers until ready to eat and drizzle just before serving.)
- Fresh mozzarella balls come in different sizes. Ciliegine are the smallest, with a size comparable to small cherry tomatoes.
- An 8-ounce tub of ciliegine will likely have 22 to 24 mozzarella balls. This recipe assumes 24 balls to make 12 skewers. However, if your tub has fewer, you may only get 11 skewers out of this recipe (which would require a few less pieces of fruit, as well).
More Yummy Green Recipes
- Cucumber Mint Infused Water
- Texas Pesto
- Ultimate Taco Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Creamy Jalapeño Dip