Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies are loaded with decadent chocolate chips and crushed pretzels for a delicious, chewy, sweet-and-salty treat!
Something inexplicable has happened to my tastebuds in the last six months or so. The girl who has always had a GIANT sweet tooth has started craving salty snacks instead. Traditionally, I’ve always reached for chocolate or ice cream as soon as the kids are safely in bed…but lately, I’d much rather have barbecue potato chips. And half a bag, at that.
So when I had a hankering for chocolate chip cookies the other day, I knew I wanted to bring in a salty element. I could always sprinkle regular cookies with sea salt, of course. But upon spying an unopened bag of pretzels in the pantry, I decided that the addition of salt and crunch would be even better!
And boy was I right. Y’all. Shorty after these photos were taken, there were about half a dozen less cookies to be accounted for. And I hadn’t even shared with the kids yet! Seriously…someone needs an intervention.
What makes these Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies so fabulous is the contrast of flavors and textures. You’ve got soft, chewy cookies studded with creamy chocolate and crunchy pretzels. You’ve got salty plus sweet. The combination is magical.
And to make things even better, these cookies are a cinch to make and can be oven-ready in a matter of minutes!
Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies, my friends, are the answer…whether you have a sweet tooth or need a salty fix. They are plump, textured, bursting with chocolate, loaded with pretzels, and completely addictive. In fact, that last part is probably their only downfall.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I better start whipping up a second batch to replace the embarrassing number of cookies already missing from the first batch… 😉
Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies Recipe
Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, light or dark
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup crushed pretzel twists, plus additional pretzels garnish
- Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt until well combined. In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugars and beat on medium-high for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until smooth. With the mixer on low speed, gradually blend in the flour mixture until just combined. Carefully mix in the chocolate chips and crushed pretzels.
- Use a tablespoon (or a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop) to scoop a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough onto a prepared baking sheet. Lightly press a pretzel twist into the top of the cookie mound (the cookie will spread as it bakes, so don't flatten it too much). Repeat until the cookie sheet is full, with cookie dough balls spaced 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9 to 13 minutes until the cookies are set in the middle and light golden brown around the edges. Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before using a thin spatula to carefully transfer them to a rack to finish cooling. (Repeat this process on fresh cookie sheets until all of the dough has been used.) Once completely cool, store in an airtight container.
- I was able to fit 10 cookies to a baking sheet.
- If you only have one or two cookie sheets to work with, you'll need to allow the cookie sheet(s) to cool before starting the next pan of cookies so that the cookie dough balls don't get too warm and spread too thin.
More Yummy Cookies
- One-Bowl Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Fudge Cookies
- Cowboy Cookies