Slow Cooker Chicken & Black Bean Tacos make for an effortless taco night since the crock pot does all of the work!
I know y’all love crock pot recipes, and you’ve probably noticed that over the past few weeks, as winter headed towards spring, I’ve been slacking in the slow cooker department. The truth is, I do use my crock pot all year long, but the type of recipes that I make in it change. Instead of hearty, comforting soups and stews, the warmer weather sees me utilizing my slow cooker for sandwich toppings, taco fillings, and such.
So that’s what I have for you today. Tender, juicy chicken — cooked with black beans and corn, seasoned with taco seasoning and salsa, and then shredded — makes the ultimate chicken soft taco filling! But if you’re not in a taco kind of mood, don’t let that deter you from trying this recipe. I have determined that the chicken/black bean/corn mixture is also delicious in the following applications:
Seriously, any Tex-Mex type recipe is adaptable to using this filling. And it would probably be good in even more ways than the ones I’ve listed. Let me know if anyone is feeling up to trying it on a pizza…
I actually hesitated to post this recipe because it’s one of those that I feel is so easy and brainless that everybody must already know about it and make it regularly. But my rational side argued that there are probably many of you out there who haven’t, in fact, thrown this particular combination of ingredients into the crock pot before. And if that’s the case, you are truly missing out. So this is for you!
This is one of my go-to recipes when I only have a few minutes in the morning, because it’s something for which I almost always have the ingredients on hand. It’s also adaptable, of course, if I happen to be out of something. I’ve made it with pinto beans instead of black. I’ve used tomato sauce with a few dashes of hot sauce in lieu of salsa. Canned corn works instead of frozen. Heck, (I haven’t tried it, but) I bet you could even use pork instead of chicken for a change of pace!
Whatever you do, be sure you have plenty of your favorite toppings on hand when you make this recipe. These tacos are good as-is, but they are downright spectacular when loaded up with avocado slices, sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro, etc., etc. Mmm-mmmm-MMMMM!
The last thing I’d like to mention is that this recipe makes a lot. So it’s great if you have a large family or if you enjoy the convenience of leftovers (which, incidentally, can be used in one of the other aforementioned options if you don’t feel like tacos again). The leftovers also freeze well for a ready-to-go dinner down the road.
And this quick and easy recipe is even great for serving at a party or get-together! Set up a little taco bar with a crock pot full of shredded chicken filling, a stack of warm flour tortillas, and bowls of every taco topping you can think of. Do I envision a March Madness-watching party in the near future???
Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Taco Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken & Black Bean Tacos
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package taco seasoning, or 3 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons mined fresh garlic, or the jarred, refrigerated kind
- 2 cans (15-ounces each) black beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 16 ounces salsa
- sliced avocado, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, fresh chopped cilantro, salsa, sour cream, pico de gallo, etc.
- Place chicken breasts at the bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and minced garlic. Place black beans and corn on top, and pour salsa evenly over everything. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker to a cutting board. Slice into big chunks and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir all ingredients to combine. Taste and stir in a bit more taco seasoning, if desired. Cover and allow to reheat for a few minutes before serving. Serve on flour tortillas with plenty of your favorite toppings!