Triple Chocolate Banana Bread is moist, fudgy, and loaded with three kinds of chocolate, making it a mouthwatering way to use up overripe bananas!If you’re anything like me, you always have overripe bananas sitting on the counter, on a quest to discover their purpose in life. And let’s face it…baking them into plain ol’ banana bread can get kind of boring. I’ve always thought that chocolate and bananas pair beautifully, and this moist, fudgy bread is no exception. It’s quickly become my family’s favorite way to use up old bananas!
After all, who doesn’t love banana bread? And this is banana bread with chocolate. Three kinds of it, to be exact. Not only do you sift a bit of cocoa powder into your dry ingredients, but you also stir some melted baking chocolate into your batter and then add plenty of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips to take it completely over the top!
The resulting banana bread is soft and moist and oh-so-chocolatey, delicious for breakfast or a snack. It’s perfectly tasty at room temperature, but it is amazing still-warm out of the oven with a pat of butter slathered on top.
You can definitely make this recipe with regular all-purpose flour, but I typically make it with whole wheat pastry flour to make me feel better about eating it for breakfast. 😉 I love baking quick breads, muffins, pancakes, waffles, and such with whole wheat pastry flour because it is 100% whole wheat flour but has a lighter taste and texture than regular whole wheat flour. By using whole wheat pastry flour in a chocolate-infused recipe like this, I don’t think anyone would ever guess that it wasn’t made with regular white flour.
One of the things I’ve learned about baking quick breads is that I almost always prefer the outcome when I divide my batter between mini loaf pans instead of baking a full-sized loaf. Full-sized loaves are great but, at least in my experience, it’s sometimes difficult to get the center to the desired level of doneness without overcooking the edges. The other bonus of baking smaller loaves? They’re done — and ready to slice into! — that much quicker. Multiple loaves also make sharing and gift-giving possible…if you can restrain yourself from eating them all first. 😉
So the next time you have a couple of overripe bananas longing to be put to use, try this Triple Chocolate Banana Bread…you may not make any other banana bread ever again! 😉
Triple Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour OR whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 medium bananas, mashed (equaling approximately 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or spray with cooking spray) three 5 3/4" x 3 1/4" x 2" mini loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter until smooth, and then beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in egg, vanilla, melted chocolate, mashed bananas, and sour cream until fully incorporated (batter may look curdled at this point...it will smooth out with addition of flour). Gently mix in dry ingredients and chocolate chips until just blended.
- Evenly divide batter between prepared pans and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool bread in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Other Yummy Banana Recipes
- Banana Breakfast Cookies
- Banana Oat Snack Cake
- Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Chip Nutella Swirl Banana Bundt Cake with Nutella Glaze
- Healthy Whole Wheat & Banana Muffins