Brain Healthy Salad
This Brain Healthy Salad is loaded with leafy greens, blueberries, walnuts, and extra-virgin olive oil for an easy way to include brain-protective ingredients in your diet!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 4 servings
For the Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened red grape juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 to 3 teaspoons honey to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- Dark leafy salad greens such as baby spinach, baby kale, or other superfood greens
- Walnut pieces toasted or raw
To prepare the Red Wine Vinaigrette, measure oil, red wine vinegar, grape juice, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper into a mason jar. Tightly screw on lid and shake vigorously until everything is thoroughly combined. Alternatively, you may briskly whisk the ingredients together in a medium bowl, or blend them in a blender or mini food processor.
Fill a bowl or salad plate with a big pile of leafy greens. Sprinkle blueberries and walnuts over the top. Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine.
- To toast the walnuts, adjust oven rack to the center position and preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnut pieces on a sheet pan and bake for 4 to 6 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly toasted, watching carefully to prevent burning. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Other berries and nuts may be substituted for the blueberries and walnuts.
- You may add a sprinkle of feta cheese or goat cheese to your salad, if you like.
- If you think the dressing is sweet enough from the grape juice, you may omit the honey.
- Store leftover vinaigrette in the refrigerator. Allow to come to room temperature and shake well before using.
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 427mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5645IU | Vitamin C: 21.2mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 2.2mg