Strawberry Snack Cake + Five Heart Home’s 4th Blogiversary GIVEAWAY!
Strawberry Snack Cake is soft, moist, and easy to make, loaded with sweet, ripe strawberries, creamy buttermilk, and a shower of powdered sugar on top!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 9 servings
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 baking soda
- 1/4 salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe strawberries
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter melted & slightly cooled
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam or preserves optional
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Thinly sliced strawberries optional
- Powdered sugar
Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, blend together the sugar, mashed strawberries, buttermilk, melted butter, strawberry jam (if using), and vanilla. With the mixer on low, slowly blend in the flour mixture until fully combined, but do not over beat.
Spread batter into an 8- by 8-inch baking dish (I used Pyrex). Top with a few thinly sliced strawberries, if desired. Bake for 28 to 33 minutes, until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Once the cake is done, place the baking dish on a metal rack to cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
- A tablespoon of strawberry jam or preserves is added to boost the strawberry flavor without adding too much additional moisture. However, if you don't have any jam on hand, the cake will turn out just fine without it.
- The thinly sliced strawberries on top are more for looks than anything. They're a nice touch if you plan on enjoying the cake soon after baking it. However, if the cake will sit for awhile or if you think there will be leftovers, keep in mind that the strawberries on top may get soggy and mushy after awhile so it may be best to leave them off.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 68mg | Potassium: 98mg | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Vitamin C: 7.1mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1.2mg