One-Skillet Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
One-Skillet Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is a quick, easy, family-pleasing weeknight dinner recipe that's made in just one pan!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can (15-ounces)pinto beans rinsed & drained
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 bag (16-ounces)frozen tater tots
Set a 12-inch oven-safe skillet over medium-low heat. Add a few drops of extra-virgin olive oil, and saute the garlic for a minute or two until just fragrant and very light golden brown. Add the ground beef, increase heat to medium/medium high, and cook until no longer pink, breaking apart and stirring as the meat cooks. Drain the grease from the meat.
While the meat is browning, arrange the oven rack in the center position, preheat the oven to 425°F, and prepare the sauce. In a large measuring cup, combine the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Pour the sauce over the browned meat, stir to combine, and mix in the pinto beans. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until heated through and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
Smooth the sloppy joe mixture in the skillet and sprinkle with 1 cup of the grated cheddar. Arrange the frozen tater tots in a single layer on top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tater tots are browned.
- If your ketchup contains a lot of sugar or if you prefer a more savory sloppy joe mixture, you may reduce the amount of brown sugar.
- You may substitute different types of beans or cheese if you prefer.
Calories: 686kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 1509mg | Potassium: 1061mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 16.3mg | Calcium: 290mg | Iron: 4.3mg