Macaroni & Cheese Soup
Creamy, decadent Macaroni & Cheese Soup topped with crispy bacon is the ultimate cool weather comfort food!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 6 ounces dry elbow macaroni about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese shredded (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups milk 2% or whole, warmed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon cooked until crispy and diced or crumbled
Set a medium pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Stir in the macaroni and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In the meantime, set a large pot over medium heat. Melt butter. Use a whisk to stir in flour, whisking continuously until light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Continue to whisk while slowly and gradually adding broth. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Cook while whisking until the sauce is smooth and thickened, between 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove pot from heat. Add grated cheddar, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until completely melted and smooth before adding more. Once all cheese has been incorporated and cheese sauce is smooth, stir in milk, cooked macaroni, Parmesan, tomato paste, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately with diced bacon sprinkled on top.
Calories: 659kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 821mg | Potassium: 521mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1045IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 611mg | Iron: 2mg