Fluffy, tender pancakes that boast the flavors of gingerbread are
perfect for the holidays or make an everyday breakfast special.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 5 servings (Appoximately 10 4-inch pancakes)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coffee cooled
- 4 tablespoons butter melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. In a medium bowl, mix together buttermilk, coffee, butter, eggs, and brown sugar until well incorporated. Gradually add wet mixture to flour mixture and mix until just blended. Do not overmix! Batter should have some lumps.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt a pat of butter, tilting pan to coat it evenly. Use a 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop batter onto skillet, spacing pancakes about 2 inches apart. Cook for a couple of minutes, or until bubbles start to appear on the surface of the pancake and the edges look dry. Flip pancake over and cook until underside is golden brown, about another minute.
Serve hot with maple syrup. You may also keep pancakes warm by placing them on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet and putting it in a 180°F oven.
- Every stove is different, so the temperature at which you'll need to cook your pancakes may take some trial and error. If you sprinkle water on your skillet and it bounces around and sizzles, you're ready to cook. Start at medium heat and adjust up or down based on how quickly the first batch browns.
- This pancake batter is supposed to be thick, so I usually spread it out just a bit with the back of my measuring cup so that it still results in thick, fluffy pancakes. However, if you prefer a thinner batter, just add a little more buttermilk.
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 613mg | Potassium: 341mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 454IU | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 3mg