Soft-Baked Banana Oat Bars
Soft-Baked Banana Oatmeal Bars are loaded with wholesome ingredients and make a yummy, portable breakfast or snack!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 12 to 16 bars
- 1 cup mashed banana from 2 medium overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or oat flour -- see Tips & Tricks below
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts, OPTIONAL
Arrange oven rack in center position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with coconut oil or softened butter, or coat with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, beat together the mashed banana, coconut oil, honey, egg, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Blend the oat mixture into the banana mixture and stir until well-combined.
Scrape the batter into prepared baking dish and smooth the top so that it's an even thickness. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, if using, and lightly press into the surface. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until the edges just start to turn golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing into bars.
Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- To make oat flour, use a blender or mini food processor to grind 1 3/4 cups oats into a fine powder. Measure out 1 1/4 cups of oat flour for the recipe after grinding. If you have leftover oat flour after measuring, you can always save it for a Blueberry Muffin Healthy Oat Smoothie.
- To save a dirty dish, I melt the coconut oil in a measuring cup in the microwave, add it to the recipe, and then measure the honey into the same cup. The coconut oil helps the honey slide out of the measuring cup.
Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 104mg | Potassium: 176mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1.4mg