Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds

A simple summer side dish of Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds comes together quickly using only two ingredients…and will disappear from the table even faster!

Zucchini is one of those summer vegetables that not only grows abundantly, but it tends to come in all at once. Thanks to my generous in-laws and their bountiful garden, we are the lucky recipients of boatloads of zucchini each summer, and I try to use it up in a variety of ways, from zucchini bread and muffins to zucchini fritters to hiding it in as many dinner entrees as possible.

However, my old standby recipe for enjoying zucchini as a dinnertime side dish are these Parmesan Zucchini Rounds. I hesitate to even call this a recipe because it requires only two ingredients and about five minutes to prepare.

If you want to get all wild and crazy, you can sprinkle your zucchini slices with a bit of garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper before spooning on the Parmesan, which is what I decided to do for this batch. Of course, if you elect to do that, budget an additional 30 seconds of prep time into the long and arduous process of making this recipe. ;)

Even those who claim to dislike zucchini will be popping these little babies in their mouth as fast as humanly possible. By baking at a relatively high temperature, the zucchini gets nice and soft, with an almost creamy texture, while the Parmesan turns crispy and golden brown.

You can experiment with the thickness of your zucchini slices and the ratio of Parmesan to zucchini to determine your sweet spot, but I find that 1/4-inch thick slices work pretty perfectly. And since I like to put a generous mound of grated Parm on each zucchini round, I end up using about 1/4 cup of cheese per every medium-sized zucchini that I slice up.

Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds ~ you're just 2 ingredients away from a quick and easy, delicious summer side dish! | FiveHeartHome.comParmesan Zucchini Rounds ~ you're just 2 ingredients away from a quick and easy, delicious summer side dish! | FiveHeartHome.com

Regardless of how you decide to customize these, I definitely recommend making more than you anticipate needing. For one thing, the zucchini rounds do shrink a bit during the baking process. But on top of that, they are just so dang tasty. Don’t tell anyone, but I may have eaten an entire pan of these all by myself…a time or twelve.

Oh, and feel free to place your zucchini slices much closer together than depicted in the pics on this post. I evenly spaced them for more aesthetic photography, but typically, I cram them on the pan and don’t pay any heed to neat, symmetrical rows. ;)

A certain someone at my house was very intrigued by my zucchini endeavors on this particular day.

As you will see below, towards the end of my photo shoot, she just couldn’t resist touching, and then grabbing, and then face planting (“Mama, I smell!”) into my carefully arranged plate. And after that, she didn’t appreciate being informed that she needed to step away from the zucchini.

If you love zucchini as much as my little gal, you definitely need to give these Parmesan Zucchini Rounds a try. If you hate zucchini, they just might change your mind. And if you have lots and lots of fresh garden zucchini to use up every summer? I think you’ll find yourself falling back on this recipe quite often!

Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds

Yield: 2 to 4 servings

Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds

A simple summer side dish of Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds comes together quickly using only two ingredients...and will disappear from the table even faster!

• 2 medium-sized zucchini
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • Garlic salt & freshly ground black pepper, optional

1. Place oven rack in center position of oven. Preheat to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil (lightly misted with cooking spray) OR parchment paper.
  2. Wash and dry zucchini, and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Arrange zucchini rounds on prepared pan, with little to no space between them. If desired, lightly sprinkle zucchini with garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper. Use a small spoon to spread a thin layer of Parmesan cheese on each slice of zucchini. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until Parmesan turns a light golden brown. (Watch these closely the first time you make them and pull them out of the oven early if the Parmesan is golden before 15 minutes!) Serve immediately.

More spectacular summer dishes…

Zucchini Fudge Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze
Zucchini Fudge Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze {OR} Chocolate Zucchini Bread ~ so moist and decadent, nobody will guess that it's hiding a pound of zucchini and whole wheat flour! | FiveHeartHome.com

Zucchini Marinara
Zucchini Marinara ~ quick, easy side dish of sliced zucchini that's pan sauteed and then cooked until tender in marinara sauce, fresh herbs, and Parmesan | FiveHeartHome.com

Tomato Cucumber Salad with Olives & Feta
Tomato Cucumber Salad with Olives and Feta | {Five Heart Home}

Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, & Fresh Corn
Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, and Fresh Corn ~ a perfect summer side dish or light supper! | FiveHeartHome.com

German Potato Salad
German Potato Salad ~ a perfect side dish for a summertime dinner from the grill, picnic, or holiday potluck | FiveHeartHome.com

The Easiest, Tastiest, BEST WAY to Cook Corn on the Cob
The Easiest, Tastiest, BEST Way to Cook Fresh Corn on the Cob: Oven Roasting! Simply wash & cook...once done, husks and silk peel away with no mess! | FiveHeartHome.com

Tomato Cucumber Pasta Salad with Avocado
Tomato Cucumber Pasta Salad with Avocado, Kalamata Olives, Feta, and Fresh Dill | FiveHeartHome.com

…and see all of our recipes << HERE!

Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram

This pos
t may be linked up to House of Rose, 4 Little Fergusons, and these fabulous parties!

Comments

1. Nice and easy. Thank you. Have a good week!

Poor baby! I bet these smell wonderful – how could she resist? lol…Thanks for an easy, healthy and yummy recipe. Happy Sunday, and have a great week!

Ha, Deb…I’ve learned that something is within arm’s reach, she pretty much can’t resist! But she’s cute, so she usually gets away with it… ;) Enjoy the recipe, and I hope your week is off to a great start!

3. Boy do those look yummy and your little girl is sooo flippin cute! Terrific post :)

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

4. Ashley Johnson says:

I’m thinking some oil would be helpful. Mine completely burned up.

Hmmmm…I’m so sorry to hear that, Ashley! I’ve been making these for years and they’ve never required any oil. It’s almost like making Parmesan crisps (where you just melt Parmesan into disks directly on a sheet pan) except that there’s zucchini underneath. :) Mine are typically done at 15 minutes, but if your oven runs hotter than mine and the cheese is melted and golden brown before that, definitely pull them out! They can go from done to burnt quickly. The only other thing I can think of that might affect them is the type of Parmesan you used? I use freshly grated, so I’m wondering if other varieties might brown faster? At any rate, I hate that these burned for you. :( I hope they work out if you try them again!

5. I’ve made these but before I put the parmesan on I put a little lawrys seasoning salt and it’s to die for!!!! My family devours them!

These are totally addictive, aren’t they, Ashley? ;) And I bet adding a little Lawry’s makes them extra delicious. What a great idea…thanks for sharing! :)

6. This recipe looks great! I love parmesan cheese!
    Thanks

7. These are amazing, Samantha. So perfect for a side dish at a summer BBQ!!

Thank you, Matt! We end up with so much zucchini all summer long that we eat these A LOT…but nobody is complaining. ;)

8. These look so delicious! I’ve been baking summer squash and zucchini with just pepper, salt and a sprinkling of olive oil. They are also good but dang the parmesan cheese makes them look so much tastier!

9. Now I know exactly how I’ll be using up all that zucchini from my garden!

You and me both, Liz! We almost have more zucchini than we can eat…but we give it a valiant effort using this recipe. ;)

10. I’m a big zucchini fan and can’t wait to try this one. Found your recipe at Pint Sized Baker’s Two-Cup Tuesday.  I am one of the hostesses of Tickle My Tastebuds and would love you to stop by and link up this recipe if you have not yet already.

11. Oh my goodness, these were so yummy! And I don’t like zucchini.:O

This recipe is a keeper.

I’m so glad you enjoyed these, Michelle! To be honest, I don’t really care for zucchini prepared in certain ways either…but I inhale it when it’s cooked like this! ;)

12. I can’t wait to try these. I love fried yellow squash, but this looks a lot healthier. Thanks for sharing.

Baking these with Parmesan gives them such flavor, Sara, that you won’t even miss the frying. :) Enjoy!

13. Aww…love the recipe, but I love your dd’s cute faces more…lol. Pinned.

Ha ha…thanks, Erlene! She’s perfected that face. ;) I appreciate your sweet comment and the pin!

14. Those look delicious!

15. Not to ask a stupid question, but do you serve these as a snack? or a side dish? They look delicious, I just can’t think of when I would actually make this.

Not a stupid question at all! I’ve always made this zucchini recipe as a side dish. But I don’t see why you couldn’t serve it as an appetizer or enjoy these rounds as a snack! :)

16. These look like a delicious way to enjoy zucchini! Pinning! (found this on The Weekend re-Treat–thanks for sharing!)

Thanks for stopping by, Kelly, and I really appreciate the pin! Hope you enjoy if you have a chance to try these! :)

17. Love this! They look delicious, I bet my little guy would react the same way if I made him wait. So simple too..my favorite kind of dish!

I’m glad to be in good company, Sherri…it’s just too tempting to put something yummy at eye level and expect them to be able to resist, right? ;) These are definitely simple, so I hope you love them if you have a chance to try them. :) Thanks for stopping by!

18. Yum – I need to try these soon. I usually pan saute my zucchini, but this looks cheesey wonderful!

Cheese makes everything better, doesn’t it, Gina? ;) I hope you enjoy these just as much (or perhaps more than?) your pan sauteed zucchini!

19. Congratulations!! Your Zucchini Rounds have been featured at Tickle My Tastebuds on my blog, Lori’s Culinary Creations. Hop on over and grab a feature button and link up your latest culinary creations. Congrats again.

Lori

What an honor, Lori…thanks so much for stopping by to let me know! :) Hope you’re having a great week!

20. These look delicious!!! Stopping over from The Makers and pinned!

Thanks so much for stopping by, Summer, and I really appreciate the pin! :) Hope you’re having a great week!

21. Becky S. says:

Made these for dinner last night and they were amazing!! Thank you for sharing!! I have never been a big fan of zucchini but I’m trying to find ways of making veggies taste better. I will definitely make these again! Thank you!

I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed these, Becky…thank you for coming back to let me know! And I agree with you…I’m not naturally inclined to want to eat a bunch of veggies, but every time I make these, I just can’t stop popping them in my mouth! ;) I appreciate the kind comment and hope your week is off to a great start!

22. Might be a dumb question, but I do not have any fresh Parm to grate……..can I just use some pre-grated parm cheese, the kind that comes grated in the little plastic shaker bottle?!?!

Hi Mandie! Not a dumb question at all. :) I haven’t tried it myself, but I think that any type of Parmesan should work in this recipe. The kind in the plastic green shaker just might not melt as smoothly as Parmesan that’s a little fresher. Good luck…hope it turns out well for you! :)

23. What is that, that’s drizzled on the plate?

Hi Malissa! That’s actually just the pattern of the plate. :) It’s a mustard-colored plate with a white design, but you’re right…it does look like it could be something drizzled below the zucchini! Hope that helps, and hope you’re having a great week!

24. I just started a low carb diet so I have been searching the internet trying to find recipes that still taste good and I am so happy I found this! I made them tonight for a light dinner and they were so tasty. I put garlic powder, pepper, and parmesan cheese and baked them and then I ate them with a little bit of pizza sauce (marinara sauce could work too!). Yum! I still have to be careful with the zucchini carbs but in moderation it’s okay. Thank you so much for the recipe!

I’m so glad you enjoyed these, Nicole! I’ve never thought to serve them with marinara…sound delicious! Thanks for the comment and I hope you’re having a great week! :)

1. […] from Five Heart Home always has such delicious looking food and these baked parmesan zucchinis are no […]

2. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds […]