Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds

A simple summer side dish of Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds comes together quickly using only two ingredients…and will disappear from the table even faster!

Zucchini is one of those summer vegetables that not only grows abundantly, but it tends to come in all at once. Thanks to my generous in-laws and their bountiful garden, we are the lucky recipients of boatloads of zucchini each summer, and I try to use it up in a variety of ways, from zucchini bread and muffins to zucchini fritters to hiding it in as many dinner entrees as possible.

However, my old standby recipe for enjoying zucchini as a dinnertime side dish are these Parmesan Zucchini Rounds. I hesitate to even call this a recipe because it requires only two ingredients and about five minutes to prepare.

If you want to get all wild and crazy, you can sprinkle your zucchini slices with a bit of garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper before spooning on the Parmesan, which is what I decided to do for this batch. Of course, if you elect to do that, budget an additional 30 seconds of prep time into the long and arduous process of making this recipe. 😉

Even those who claim to dislike zucchini will be popping these little babies in their mouth as fast as humanly possible. By baking at a relatively high temperature, the zucchini gets nice and soft, with an almost creamy texture, while the Parmesan turns crispy and golden brown.

You can experiment with the thickness of your zucchini slices and the ratio of Parmesan to zucchini to determine your sweet spot, but I find that 1/4-inch thick slices work pretty perfectly. And since I like to put a generous mound of grated Parm on each zucchini round, I end up using about 1/4 cup of cheese per every medium-sized zucchini that I slice up.

Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds ~ you're just 2 ingredients away from a quick and easy, delicious summer side dish! | FiveHeartHome.comParmesan Zucchini Rounds ~ you're just 2 ingredients away from a quick and easy, delicious summer side dish! | FiveHeartHome.com

Regardless of how you decide to customize these, I definitely recommend making more than you anticipate needing. For one thing, the zucchini rounds do shrink a bit during the baking process. But on top of that, they are just so dang tasty. Don’t tell anyone, but I may have eaten an entire pan of these all by myself…a time or twelve.

Oh, and feel free to place your zucchini slices much closer together than depicted in the pics on this post. I evenly spaced them for more aesthetic photography, but typically, I cram them on the pan and don’t pay any heed to neat, symmetrical rows. 😉

A certain someone at my house was very intrigued by my zucchini endeavors on this particular day.

As you will see below, towards the end of my photo shoot, she just couldn’t resist touching, and then grabbing, and then face planting (“Mama, I smell!”) into my carefully arranged plate. And after that, she didn’t appreciate being informed that she needed to step away from the zucchini.

If you love zucchini as much as my little gal, you definitely need to give these Parmesan Zucchini Rounds a try. If you hate zucchini, they just might change your mind. And if you have lots and lots of fresh garden zucchini to use up every summer? I think you’ll find yourself falling back on this recipe quite often!

Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds

Yield: 2 to 4 servings

Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds

A simple summer side dish of Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds comes together quickly using only two ingredients...and will disappear from the table even faster!

• 2 medium-sized zucchini
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • Garlic salt & freshly ground black pepper, optional

1. Place oven rack in center position of oven. Preheat to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil (lightly misted with cooking spray) OR parchment paper.
  2. Wash and dry zucchini, and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Arrange zucchini rounds on prepared pan, with little to no space between them. If desired, lightly sprinkle zucchini with garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper. Use a small spoon to spread a thin layer of Parmesan cheese on each slice of zucchini. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until Parmesan turns a light golden brown. (Watch these closely the first time you make them and pull them out of the oven early if the Parmesan is golden before 15 minutes!) Serve immediately.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Zip Recipes Plugin

More spectacular summer dishes…

Zucchini Fudge Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze
Zucchini Fudge Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze {OR} Chocolate Zucchini Bread ~ so moist and decadent, nobody will guess that it's hiding a pound of zucchini and whole wheat flour! | FiveHeartHome.com

Zucchini Marinara
Zucchini Marinara ~ quick, easy side dish of sliced zucchini that's pan sauteed and then cooked until tender in marinara sauce, fresh herbs, and Parmesan | FiveHeartHome.com

Tomato Cucumber Salad with Olives & Feta
Tomato Cucumber Salad with Olives and Feta | {Five Heart Home}

Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, & Fresh Corn
Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, and Fresh Corn ~ a perfect summer side dish or light supper! | FiveHeartHome.com

German Potato Salad
German Potato Salad ~ a perfect side dish for a summertime dinner from the grill, picnic, or holiday potluck | FiveHeartHome.com

The Easiest, Tastiest, BEST WAY to Cook Corn on the Cob
The Easiest, Tastiest, BEST Way to Cook Fresh Corn on the Cob: Oven Roasting! Simply wash & cook...once done, husks and silk peel away with no mess! | FiveHeartHome.com

Tomato Cucumber Pasta Salad with Avocado
Tomato Cucumber Pasta Salad with Avocado, Kalamata Olives, Feta, and Fresh Dill | FiveHeartHome.com

…and see all of our recipes << HERE!

Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram

This pos
t may be linked up to House of Rose, 4 Little Fergusons, and these fabulous parties!

Comments

1. Nice and easy. Thank you. Have a good week!

Poor baby! I bet these smell wonderful – how could she resist? lol…Thanks for an easy, healthy and yummy recipe. Happy Sunday, and have a great week!

Ha, Deb…I’ve learned that something is within arm’s reach, she pretty much can’t resist! But she’s cute, so she usually gets away with it… 😉 Enjoy the recipe, and I hope your week is off to a great start!

3. Boy do those look yummy and your little girl is sooo flippin cute! Terrific post :)

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

4. Ashley Johnson says:

I’m thinking some oil would be helpful. Mine completely burned up.

Hmmmm…I’m so sorry to hear that, Ashley! I’ve been making these for years and they’ve never required any oil. It’s almost like making Parmesan crisps (where you just melt Parmesan into disks directly on a sheet pan) except that there’s zucchini underneath. :) Mine are typically done at 15 minutes, but if your oven runs hotter than mine and the cheese is melted and golden brown before that, definitely pull them out! They can go from done to burnt quickly. The only other thing I can think of that might affect them is the type of Parmesan you used? I use freshly grated, so I’m wondering if other varieties might brown faster? At any rate, I hate that these burned for you. :( I hope they work out if you try them again!

5. I’ve made these but before I put the parmesan on I put a little lawrys seasoning salt and it’s to die for!!!! My family devours them!

These are totally addictive, aren’t they, Ashley? 😉 And I bet adding a little Lawry’s makes them extra delicious. What a great idea…thanks for sharing! :)

6. This recipe looks great! I love parmesan cheese!
    Thanks

7. These are amazing, Samantha. So perfect for a side dish at a summer BBQ!!

Thank you, Matt! We end up with so much zucchini all summer long that we eat these A LOT…but nobody is complaining. 😉

8. These look so delicious! I’ve been baking summer squash and zucchini with just pepper, salt and a sprinkling of olive oil. They are also good but dang the parmesan cheese makes them look so much tastier!

Thanks, Sara! Much like bacon, Parmesan makes everything better, doesn’t it? 😉

9. Now I know exactly how I’ll be using up all that zucchini from my garden!

You and me both, Liz! We almost have more zucchini than we can eat…but we give it a valiant effort using this recipe. 😉

10. I’m a big zucchini fan and can’t wait to try this one. Found your recipe at Pint Sized Baker’s Two-Cup Tuesday.  I am one of the hostesses of Tickle My Tastebuds and would love you to stop by and link up this recipe if you have not yet already.

11. Oh my goodness, these were so yummy! And I don’t like zucchini.:O

This recipe is a keeper.

I’m so glad you enjoyed these, Michelle! To be honest, I don’t really care for zucchini prepared in certain ways either…but I inhale it when it’s cooked like this! 😉

12. I can’t wait to try these. I love fried yellow squash, but this looks a lot healthier. Thanks for sharing.

Baking these with Parmesan gives them such flavor, Sara, that you won’t even miss the frying. :) Enjoy!

13. Aww…love the recipe, but I love your dd’s cute faces more…lol. Pinned.

Ha ha…thanks, Erlene! She’s perfected that face. 😉 I appreciate your sweet comment and the pin!

14. Those look delicious!

15. Not to ask a stupid question, but do you serve these as a snack? or a side dish? They look delicious, I just can’t think of when I would actually make this.

Not a stupid question at all! I’ve always made this zucchini recipe as a side dish. But I don’t see why you couldn’t serve it as an appetizer or enjoy these rounds as a snack! :)

16. These look like a delicious way to enjoy zucchini! Pinning! (found this on The Weekend re-Treat–thanks for sharing!)

Thanks for stopping by, Kelly, and I really appreciate the pin! Hope you enjoy if you have a chance to try these! :)

17. Love this! They look delicious, I bet my little guy would react the same way if I made him wait. So simple too..my favorite kind of dish!

I’m glad to be in good company, Sherri…it’s just too tempting to put something yummy at eye level and expect them to be able to resist, right? 😉 These are definitely simple, so I hope you love them if you have a chance to try them. :) Thanks for stopping by!

18. Yum – I need to try these soon. I usually pan saute my zucchini, but this looks cheesey wonderful!

Cheese makes everything better, doesn’t it, Gina? 😉 I hope you enjoy these just as much (or perhaps more than?) your pan sauteed zucchini!

19. Congratulations!! Your Zucchini Rounds have been featured at Tickle My Tastebuds on my blog, Lori’s Culinary Creations. Hop on over and grab a feature button and link up your latest culinary creations. Congrats again.

Lori

What an honor, Lori…thanks so much for stopping by to let me know! :) Hope you’re having a great week!

20. These look delicious!!! Stopping over from The Makers and pinned!

Thanks so much for stopping by, Summer, and I really appreciate the pin! :) Hope you’re having a great week!

21. Becky S. says:

Made these for dinner last night and they were amazing!! Thank you for sharing!! I have never been a big fan of zucchini but I’m trying to find ways of making veggies taste better. I will definitely make these again! Thank you!

I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed these, Becky…thank you for coming back to let me know! And I agree with you…I’m not naturally inclined to want to eat a bunch of veggies, but every time I make these, I just can’t stop popping them in my mouth! 😉 I appreciate the kind comment and hope your week is off to a great start!

22. Might be a dumb question, but I do not have any fresh Parm to grate……..can I just use some pre-grated parm cheese, the kind that comes grated in the little plastic shaker bottle?!?!

Hi Mandie! Not a dumb question at all. :) I haven’t tried it myself, but I think that any type of Parmesan should work in this recipe. The kind in the plastic green shaker just might not melt as smoothly as Parmesan that’s a little fresher. Good luck…hope it turns out well for you! :)

• I tried it with the grated parm in the bottle and It did not melt. Guess I will have to try fresh.

Sorry to hear that, Lynae! Yes, I definitely recommend using freshly grated Parmesan for this recipe. You can buy it already grated in a little tub…it just needs to be the fresh stuff. :)

23. What is that, that’s drizzled on the plate?

Hi Malissa! That’s actually just the pattern of the plate. :) It’s a mustard-colored plate with a white design, but you’re right…it does look like it could be something drizzled below the zucchini! Hope that helps, and hope you’re having a great week!

24. I just started a low carb diet so I have been searching the internet trying to find recipes that still taste good and I am so happy I found this! I made them tonight for a light dinner and they were so tasty. I put garlic powder, pepper, and parmesan cheese and baked them and then I ate them with a little bit of pizza sauce (marinara sauce could work too!). Yum! I still have to be careful with the zucchini carbs but in moderation it’s okay. Thank you so much for the recipe!

I’m so glad you enjoyed these, Nicole! I’ve never thought to serve them with marinara…sound delicious! Thanks for the comment and I hope you’re having a great week! :)

25. I made these on a silicone baking sheet and the bottoms of the slices were wet. Not tasty. :(

I’m so sorry to hear that, Kat! I’ve never tried this recipe on a silicone baking sheet so I appreciate you sharing that it doesn’t result in the best outcome. I hope you have better luck if you try them again without the silicone mat!

26. I will cook this for our dinner tonight. Hubby will be happy new way of cooking it other than grilling it all the time. Lol thanks

27. Thank you for such a quick and easy zucchini recipe. You make it a lot more simple than anyone else out there! And I adore your photos and story of your little girl and her love of zucchini.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful comment, Rose! My daughter definitely got up close and personal with this zucchini while I was trying to photograph it. But I can’t say that I blame her…it’s pretty darn tasty and smells good, too! 😉

28. You must have a million hits from this photo on Pinterest. It just looks so inviting.

Ha, Barry…the recipe actually did go Pinterest crazy over the summer. It’s died down a bit now that the cooler months are upon us, but I suppose the moral of the story is that people can’t resist a 2-ingredient recipe! 😉 Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope you have a great weekend!

29. Rosie Addison says:

Hi, these really did not turn out well for me. I took them out after 20 minutes & the cheese wasn’t golden brown so my husband put them back in while I grilled the chicken. I looked over everything & the only thing I can think of is that it is because I didn’t use fresh Parmesan & I didn’t completely cover the zucchini. Does that sound right? I felt like your finished slices looked a lot thinner than mine so maybe that was part of it. Or just not being good quality because it is out of season.

Best,
    Rosie

Hi Rosie! I’m so sorry these didn’t turn out for you. :( If these were still pale after 20 minutes, I would say the cheese was very likely an issue. I’ve only made this recipe using freshly grated Parmesan, and it always melts smoothly and turns golden brown within a certain amount of time. So maybe by cooking them longer than 20 minutes to try to get the cheese brown, your zucchini overcooked? I’m just guessing here, as you didn’t specify what you didn’t like about how these turned out. At any rate, I wish that this recipe had turned out better for you, but I appreciate your feedback. Hope you have better luck next time if you decide to try them again! :) Have a great weekend!

• Thanks Samantha. We have had a bad string of cooking accidents. Ha! My husband said I probably shouldn’t try to do more than one new recipe at a time. (He is the one who cooks the more adventurous things, I always do the same stuff.) I’ll have to give it a try when I have fresh parmesan. I also think we will buy a oven thermometer because we have had a lot of problems getting stuff to cook properly.

Best,
        Rosie

• Lol I feel for you, Rosie! I am new to learning to cook (My mom almost never cooked, so I learned zero skills). My husband told me recently, “Why don’t we just make ONE new recipe a week?” haha I was so excited about making new recipes and trying new foods, that I was making like 4 new recipes a week.

Also, Samantha…I don’t really like parmesan all that much…do you think this would turn out just as well with fresh grated mozarella? I love zucchini AND cheese, so I think I’d really like this recipe and I’m eager to try it!

I’ve actually never tried this recipe with mozzarella, Sharon. The Parmesan turns rather crispy and forms a crust on top of the zucchini and I’m not positive that mozzarella would do the same? That being said, even if your zucchini turned out gooey-cheesy, that wouldn’t be an entirely bad thing, would it? 😉 Hope it works out for you if you decide to try the substitution. :) Happy Friday!

30. Robin @Robinsbite says:

Made these last night–and while the kiddo and hubs would have nothing to do with them, I ate the entire batch! Loved this and will be incorporating it into my summer veg rotation! Thank you!

Ha, Robin — they don’t know what they were missing, right?! It’s amazing to me how quickly a whole pan of them can disappear. 😉 So glad these were a hit for you and that you’ll be enjoying them all summer long! :)

31. I stumbled across your blog via Pinterest and knew I had to try these. One night I did not have the fixing for a salad to go with the pasta I had whipped up for several of my daughters friends who had decided to gather as they discussed their plans for their upcoming senior prom. I made this recipe and it was an instant hit! A real crowd pleaser and so fun to make! I love when that happens! Thank you! Also I will be back to try more of your yummy looking recipes!

I’m so happy that this recipe was a hit with your daughter and her friends, Vickie! I can’t wait for zucchini season so that I can put it back on our regular menu rotation around here. 😉 Thanks for taking the time to comment, and I hope you enjoy any other recipes that you decide to try from the site!

32. Andrea R says:

Hey Samantha!

These look awesome. Do you flip them over at all or are they just cheesy on one side??

Hi Andrea! No flipping required…they’re just cheesy on one side. :) Enjoy!

33. Hi Samantha,
    These looked really yummy so I made them tonight, but before I placed the zucchini on the foil I spread olive oil on the foil. The zucchini did not crisp up. They were more soggy. I am guessing this was due to the olive oil? Anyway, they were still good, but I expected a different texture. Thank you.
    Brandi

Hi Brandi! Sorry these didn’t turn out like you expected. I can imagine that using olive oil could definitely make the bottoms soggy. Even without olive oil, however, the underside of these zucchini rounds is soft rather than crispy. The top gets crispy as the cheese browns, but the zucchini underneath develops an almost creamy texture. I hope that helps! :)

34. I made these the other night and they were AMAZING. I will be sharing this recipe on my blog if you don’t mind! I could eat these every day!

I’m so glad you enjoyed these, Courtney, and thanks for mentioning them on your blog! I just hopped over and saw your post…good luck on your healthy eating journey! :)

35. Can’t wait to try these…thanks for sharing!

36. Great blog! I love your pictures, too! Can’t wait to try this recipe.

Thanks so much for your kind words, Kristen! I hope you enjoy these zucchini rounds if you have a chance to try them, and I hope you find some other recipes that appeal to you to try as well. :) Have a great rest of the week!

37. Just made these and they were awesome! My husband said this was his favorite thing I have made with zucchini!

Yay, Beth…I love that these are a new favorite! Thanks for letting me know that y’all enjoyed them. :)

38. I love zucchini! These look like a tasty replacement for chips. I am gonna try dipping them in some hummus.

That sounds yummy, Christopher! I’m not sure if these are crispy enough to dip in hummus — the underside does stay soft — but maybe you could dollop some on top? :)

39. Hi, would this work with freshly shredded Parmesan, instead of grated?

I’m guessing so, Sarah…as long as it’s fresh Parmesan, I imagine it would still melt nicely. But as I haven’t tried it myself, please let us know how it turns out if you go for it! :)

40. Lynne Keener says:

Wonder recipes and even better pictures!

41. Mary Linn says:

Awesome recipe! I noticed that you used parchment paper in the pics. Did you bake on that as well? I’m trying to stay away from commercial cooking spray and decided brush a little olive oil on the pan then “move” the zucchini around on both side. I also added the seasoning along with a little paprika to the cheese and mixed it before I put it on the rounds, Yummy!

Hi there…I’m so glad you enjoyed these, and thanks for sharing your tips! :) I’ve made this recipe different ways…either on a lightly oiled or “cooking sprayed” baking sheet (usually lined with foil first for easy cleanup) or on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. I typically use parchment paper either way works…I think it’s just a matter of personal preference. :)

42. Hey Samantha,
    your post is wonderful! I love Zucchini and this looks amazing!!
    Can’t wait to try it out myself. :)

43. Just made these…LOVE EM!!!

44. We didn’t grow zucchini this year, but we do have a ton of yellow summer squash. I’m going to try this tonight. Thanks for sharing!

Would you believe I’ve never tried this with yellow squash, Aileen?! I hope it turned out great! :)

1. […] from Five Heart Home always has such delicious looking food and these baked parmesan zucchinis are no […]

2. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds […]

3. […] 2-Ingredient Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds […]

4. […] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | […]

5. […] Baked parmesan zucchini rounds – Five heart Home […]

6. […] 13.  Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds […]

7. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds from Five Heart Home […]

8. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds by Five Heart Home […]

9. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds Only 2 ingredients and 5 minutes to prepare? Sounds like my kind of recipe. These baked Parmesan Zucchini rounds look like a perfect afternoon ( or morning, evening or night) snack. You can see the recipe here. […]

10. […] – Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds by Five Heart […]

11. […] saw this on pinterest here zucchini fritters,  if you search zucchini fritters or baked zucchini on pinterest, you will see HUNDREDS […]

12. […] if I was thinking hey, it’s a party live a little, I’d just make 5 Heart Home’s Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds, and then I could invite you to go for walk with the dogs. Those extra calories mean […]

13. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds  […]

14. […] don’t talk about it much, but we do occasionally like to eat healthy. Take these Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds, for […]

15. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds […]

16. […] Samantha at Five Hearth Home has a great use for all that zucchini with a simple Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds. […]

17. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds | Five Heart Home […]

18. […] I made baked parmesan zucchini rounds based on this recipe. Luckily, I read the comments, and found that substituting ordinary parmesan cheese from one of […]

19. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds Two ingredients! How can you beat two ingredients? Oven-roasting yields creamy zucchini with a layer of crispy baked Parmesan on top…the perfect way to use up an over-abundant crop of summer zucchini! […]

20. […] the internet, good old Pinterest, and searched for courgette and zucchini crisps, and quickly found this recipe from the blog Five Heart Home, which sounded like a much better solution. These ones turned out […]

21. […] This week’s Pin Test is: Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds from fivehearthome.com […]

22. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds. Just had to post this…2 ingredients, about 5 minutes prep. YUM… […]

23. […] the Zucchini Rounds for roasting.  Recipe at […]

24. […] also made baked zucchini chips with parmesan. Shut the front door. They were amazing. I found this recipe on Pinterest and I highly recommend it. I used 1/2 tsp parmesan on each zucchini round and had to […]

25. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds from Five Heart Home […]

26. […] Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds from Five Heart […]

27. […] I’d tell you these tasted like chips, but that wouldn’t be doing them justice. Recipe here. […]

28. […] I'd tell you these tasted like chips, but that wouldn't be doing them justice. Recipe here. […]

29. […] I’d tell you these tasted like chips, but that wouldn’t be doing them justice. Recipe here. […]

30. […] I'd tell you these tasted like chips, but that wouldn't be doing them justice. Recipe here. […]

31. […] I'd tell you these tasted like chips, but that wouldn't be doing them justice. Recipe here. […]

32. […] tell you these tasted like chips, but that wouldn’t be doing them justice. Recipe here […]

33. […] I’d tell you these tasted like chips, but that wouldn’t be doing them justice. Recipe here. […]

34. […] Te diría que saben como papas fritas, pero no les haría justicia. La receta, aquí. […]

35. […] Te diría que saben como papas fritas, pero no les haría justicia. La receta, aquí. […]

36. […] Te diría que saben como papas fritas, pero no les haría justicia. La receta, aquí. […]

37. […] I’d tell you these tasted like chips, but that wouldn’t be doing them justice. Recipe here. […]

38. […] 3. Baked Parmesan Zucchini Rounds […]

39. […] Unfassbar käsig, unfassbar gut. Rezept hier. […]

40. […] Everyone loves a tasty snack, but how about a wholesome snack?This easy and tasty recipe is here. The baked parmesan zucchini rounds combine tastiness and wholesomeness, which makes them really […]