Savory Zucchini Muffins are loaded with sharp cheddar and salty Parmesan, with bonus flavors of garlic & dill. Warm out of the oven and slathered with butter, they'll become your new favorite way to enjoy garden-fresh zucchini!
Okay, I admit it...sometimes I get stumped naming recipes. See, I want to include all of the good stuff that's in there, but Zucchini Cheddar Parmesan Garlic Dill Buttermilk Muffins doesn't quite roll off the tongue now, does it? And so I attempt to abridge my excessive use of adjectives and settle on something more concise. Hence, today I present to you Savory Zucchini Muffins!
It's that time of the summer when garden-minded folks are running out of ways to use up their plethora of fresh zucchini.
They've already baked it into sweet breads and cakes.
They've already fried it into fritters.
And so, it's time for something new. And baking shredded zucchini into cheesy, Savory Zucchini Muffins is something that I, for one, had never tried before.
In addition to shredded zucchini (obviously), these Savory Zucchini Muffins also feature two kinds of cheese, both sharp cheddar and Parmesan. They also boast garlic powder and dried dill for flavor, and buttermilk to keep them nice and moist.
The flavor of these little beauties almost reminds me of those garlicky Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red Lobster, except that these boast an additional pop of dill.
But most importantly, you can feel virtuous eating these because, well, zucchini.
How to Enjoy Them
I highly recommend enjoying your Savory Cheesy Zucchini Muffins warm, either straight out of the oven or microwaved for a few seconds.
Slather them with butter for bonus points.
And if you happen to have some leftover pepper jack to melt on top, well...nobody's going to object to a little spice and more cheese.
So relish the last of this summer's zucchini crop with some savory Zucchini Cheddar Parmesan Garlic Dill Buttermilk Muffins!
But for goodness sake, save your breath and call them by the Cliff Notes version of their title. 😉
More Savory Breads
- The Very Best Homemade Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- Homemade Cornbread Mix
- Savory Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread
- Garlic Bread with Fresh Garlic & Parsley
Savory Zucchini Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter, slightly cooled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease 15 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, dill, salt, baking soda, and garlic powder. Add zucchini, cheddar, and Parmesan; toss to coat. Stir in eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter, and mix until just combined.
- Divide batter between prepared muffin cups and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before running a thin spatula or butter knife around the edge of each muffin and popping it out of the pan and onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- It's normal for this batter to be very stiff.
- Try substituting your favorite cheese for the cheddar/Parmesan combo.
- If you don't have any buttermilk on hand, you can make your own by pouring 1 tablespoons of lemon juice (or white vinegar) into a 1-cup liquid measuring cup. Fill the remainder of the measuring cup with milk (whole milk is preferred but low-fat/skim milk will work). Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes and then stir well before proceeding with recipe.
Adapted from The Joy of Cooking.
Post originally published on August 16, 2015.