Wholesome and delicious Spiced Oatmeal Muffins are perfectly flavored with crunchy tops and pillowy centers, making them a delicious breakfast on-the-go or anytime snack!
I realize that there have been an overabundance of muffins shared on the blog over the past couple of weeks, but bear with me here...these Spiced Oatmeal Muffins are worth it! I wanted to make something yummy and easy for my boys' first week of school last week, and this recipe hit it out of the park!
Wholesome Oatmeal Muffins
First off, they're not overly sweet. They're loaded with protein- and fiber-rich oats that are first soaked in buttermilk (which lends the final muffins an almost creamy texture inside), and they're perfectly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. Let me just warn you that your kitchen will smell goooood while these babies are baking!
Normally I would have boosted the nutrition of these Oatmeal Muffins even more by making them with my beloved whole wheat pastry flour and tub o' coconut oil in place of the all-purpose flour and melted butter. However, we're still living in limbo at my mom's house while renovations on our next house get finished up. So alas, I don't currently have a pantry full of my usual ingredients at my disposal. So bake the recipe as written or swap out a few ingredients to make the muffins even more wholesome. I promise that they will be promptly devoured either way!
Another nice thing about these Oatmeal Muffins is that you can jazz them up if you so desire.
- While preparing the simple batter, feel free to stir in a cup of your favorite chopped nuts, raisins, or (if you're feeling naughty) chocolate chips.
- You can also sprinkle the top with a shower of cinnamon sugar.
- Or leave them perfectly plain like I did here today.
Nope...you really can't go wrong with these unassuming little gems.
So whether you need a quick, easy, on-the-go breakfast for busy school mornings (or teacher treats!), OR a relatively wholesome snack to boost energy throughout the day or welcome the kids home from school, a batch of these Oatmeal Muffins will fit the bill.
And if you don't have kids and could care less about back-to-school? Well, this recipe is for you, too.
Indeed, Spiced Oatmeal Muffins FOR ALL!!!
More Yummy Muffin Recipes
Spiced Oatmeal Muffins
- 2 cups rolled oats, not quick oats
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups flour, all-purpose OR whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, stir together oats and buttermilk. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside.
- After oats have finished soaking, stir brown sugar and eggs into the oatmeal/buttermilk mixture. Mix in melted butter and vanilla, and then blend in flour mixture and optional add-ins (if using) until just combined.
- Evenly divide batter between prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 muffins or until tops of muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
Adapted from Food.com
Post originally published on August 25, 2015.