Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole

This quick-to-prepare overnight casserole features French bread soaked in an eggnog custard. In the morning, simply pop it in the oven for a special holiday breakfast that’s perfect for Christmas morning!

Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole ~ perfect, make-ahead breakfast for Christmas morning! | {Five Heart Home}It goes without saying that Christmas morning calls for a special, festive breakfast. However, around here, that breakfast also needs to be something that I can prep the night before, seeing as how on Christmas morning I’ll be bleary-eyed thanks to two boys who were raring-to-go before 6 a.m. Nor do I want to be stuck in the kitchen and risk missing any of the Santa-induced excitement.

Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole ~ perfect, make-ahead breakfast for Christmas morning! | {Five Heart Home}This overnight baked French toast solves both problems at once. It’s quick to assemble before going to bed (you know, at 3 a.m. after all of the toys are put together), and come morning, all I have to do is pop it in the oven to bake while the kids are tearing into their presents. In addition to that, the fact that the bread has been soaked in eggnog and spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg means that it tastes — and the whole house consequently smells — like Christmas.

Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole ~ perfect, make-ahead breakfast for Christmas morning! | {Five Heart Home}What’s that? You don’t like eggnog? Well, while I am firmly in the pro-eggnog camp, I do realize that there are individuals who do not actually enjoy this holiday nectar of the gods. However, allow me to point out that even my non-eggnog drinking husband enjoyed it in this French toast. In other words, I think you might like this recipe even if you think you won’t. πŸ˜‰

Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole ~ perfect, make-ahead breakfast for Christmas morning! | {Five Heart Home}This tasty French toast can be enjoyed straight out of the oven as is…additional syrup is not necessary. Simply pairing it with some fresh berries, or a halved grapefruit, is a perfectly tart counter to the sweetness of the eggnog. Oh, and don’t forget bacon. Bacon is necessary to cut the sugar as well, am I right?

Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole ~ perfect, make-ahead breakfast for Christmas morning! | {Five Heart Home}So sometime this December — whether it’s a special school day breakfast, a lazy Saturday morning, a pre-Christmas brunch, or Christmas Day itself — promise me that you’ll treat yourself to this eggnog French toast decadence! After all, what’s better than a recipe by which you can have your eggnog and eat it, too?!

Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole

This quick-to-prepare overnight casserole features French bread soaked in an eggnog custard. In the morning, simply pop it in the oven for a special holiday breakfast that's perfect for Christmas morning!

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 cups prepared eggnog
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish (or two 8- by 8-inch baking dishes) with butter or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and maple syrup; continue stirring as mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and pour into prepared baking dish. Arrange the bread cubes over the brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle bread cubes with cinnamon and nutmeg, to taste.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and mix in the eggnog and vanilla. Evenly pour this custard mixture over the bread cubes. Press down lightly on the bread to make sure it's all coated/soaked. Tightly cover baking dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight, at least 8 hours.
  4. Remove the baking dish from the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 325Β°F. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 375Β°F and remove foil. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until knife inserted in center of casserole is clean (and mostly dry) and top is puffy and golden brown.

Adapted from AllRecipes.

Need to use up that leftover eggnog?

Eggnog Pudding with Whipped Cream
Eggnog Pudding with Whipped Cream ~ sweet, creamy eggnog pudding is a perfect make-ahead dessert for your next holiday party or Christmas dinner! | FiveHeartHome.com

Looking for more holiday breakfast ideas?

Overnight Gingerbread Baked French Toast
Overnight Gingerbread Baked French Toast Casserole with Streusel Topping ~ full of warm spices, maple syrup, and molasses, this is the perfect, make-ahead holiday breakfast, from Christmas to New Year's! | FiveHeartHome.com

Cheesy Ham & Grits Breakfast Casserole
Cheesy Ham and Grits Breakfast Casserole | {Five Heart Home}

Gingerbread Pancakes
Gingerbread Pancakes ~ perfect for a holiday breakfast or any day! (a copycat recipe of Kerby Lane Cafe) | {Five Heart Home}

Green Chile Cheddar Egg Bake
Green Chile Cheddar Egg Bake ~ this flavorful crustless quiche is a quick, easy breakfast that's perfect for serving to overnight houseguests or hungry family members any morning of the week | FiveHeartHome.com

French Breakfast Puffs
French Breakfast Puffs ~ sweet, tender muffins dipped in butter and cinnamon sugar | {Five Heart Home}

Apple Praline Baked French Toast
Apple Praline Baked French Toast | {Five Heart Home for Love Grows Wild}

And see all of our RECIPES <<< here!

Comments

1. Samantha, I am loving your blog! Keep it up & congratulations.

Thank you so much, Taneal…that means a lot! Let me know if you have any recipe requests… πŸ˜‰

2. oh my goodness this looks so delicious!! I pinned it right away. I love everything you make on your blog so glad I found it πŸ™‚

You are so sweet, Shamene…thank you! I’m glad you found the blog, too…I’m always happy to have you stop by! Hope you’re having a great night… πŸ™‚

3. My mom’s been asking for a french toast casserole and what better way than an eggnog version. This would be great Christmas morning! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

I hope that you and your mom love this one, Megan! I agree…it’s a perfect Christmas breakfast. Thanks for stopping by! πŸ™‚

4. This is gorgeous! I love your photos. And eggnog totally rocks, and so does overnight anything. Who wants to get up early and bake breakfast? #notme

Thanks so much, Dorothy! Yeah, if breakfast is dependent upon me getting up earlier than my already-too-early wake-up call on Christmas morning, breakfast just isn’t going to happen. So overnight it is! πŸ˜‰

5. I love French Toast Casseroles! And this one with eggnog sounds delicious!

We loved it, Kathy…even the non-eggnog drinkers among us! πŸ˜‰ I hope you enjoy it, too!

6. I love overnight french toast and this version looks delicious! A great way to start Christmas morning or to serve when company is in town!

Thanks so much, Audra! This is going on our Christmas morning menu for sure…it’s just too good and too easy not to! πŸ˜‰

7. This looks yummy! πŸ™‚ I’m a new FB and Twitter follower stopping by from Moonlight and Mason jars!

ChristysCraftyCorner.blogspot.com

Thank you, Christy! We are so happy to have you link up, and thanks so much for the follows! Hope too see you again next week. Have a happy Thursday!

8. This looks so yummy! would be great 4 Xmas Morning!

I agree, Krystie…it’s on our Christmas morning menu for sure! Hope you enjoy if you end up trying it!

9. Samantha, this looks great! Berries are in season here year-round so I’ll be sure to pin this to remember if for making soon. Love overnight casseroles that make mornings simpler. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Jelli! Like eggnog itself, this recipe is pretty sweet as-is, and I think fresh berries do a nice job of cutting through that a bit. How nice to have access to them year-round! They are hit and miss these days around here. πŸ™‚ I’m glad you stopped by…hope you have a great week!

10. This looks wonderful and would make such a festive breakfast for Christmas! Stopping by from Saturday Dishes! We, Coffee With Us 3, are the ones that will be taking over in January. Thank you for linking up and we hope you continue to do so.

Thank you, Lucy! I’m so glad you stopped by. I look forward to visiting Saturday Dishes once y’all take over. πŸ™‚

11. Samantha, this sounds amazing! I’m going to attempt it for a Christmas breakfast at work. I’m nervous though…I want it to turn out great. Quick question, how much of the Nutmeg and Cinnamon do you typically use?

Hi Jaime! Honestly, I’ve never measured them! I just do a moderate sprinkling of cinnamon over the top of the whole casserole, and then a very light sprinkling of nutmeg. I really don’t think you can go too overboard with your cinnamon sprinkling, but it is possible to use too much nutmeg. If I had to guess, I’d say I use about 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg? But honestly, that’s a guess…I will try to remember to measure next time and report back!

I hope this dish is a hit at your Christmas breakfast at work! Thanks so much for stopping by! πŸ™‚

12. Congratulations…this post was featured on Create It Thursday #33! Thanks for sharing such a great idea with us last week!

Thanks so much, Leslie…I really appreciate the feature! And thank you for hosting each week…you put on a great party! Hope you have a great weekend and a wonderful Christmas!

13. This looks so yummy! I just pinned it! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

You’re so welcome, Amber…and thank you for the pin! I hope this recipe is a hit at your house! πŸ™‚

14. Samantha, this french toast casserole looks absolutely divine. Especially with the eggnog action going on inside of it…pure genius. Gives us a delicious excuse to use up the eggnog for breakfast! Love it! I also wanted to let you know that I am featuring this in the morning at the Show Stopper Saturday party…thank you for sharing it with all of! (=

Wow…thank you for the feature, Gloria! And I really appreciate you stopping by to let me know! I so enjoy y’all’s party each week. πŸ™‚ Glad to hear that you’re an eggnog fan, too! I can’t get enough of the stuff, and I’m sad that it will be coming to an end soon! Hope you’re having a great weekend!

15. This eggnog french toast casserole looks so tasty! I still have some eggnog leftover which I wasn’t sure what I wanted to make with it and your casserole sounds perfect for Christmas breakfast πŸ™‚ Pinning and thanks so much for sharing and hope you have a wonderful weekend πŸ™‚

Thank you, Kelly! If you already have leftover eggnog, it sounds to me like making this French toast was meant to be! πŸ˜‰ I really appreciate the pin…have a wonderful Christmas!

16. Served this for my extended family this Christmas morning and it was delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this, this will be our go to Christmas brunch recipe for years to come.

Yay! I’m so happy to hear that, Amy! We had this dish for Christmas breakfast this morning as well. πŸ™‚ I really appreciate you coming back to let me know that y’all enjoyed it…hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

17. I made the eggnog french toast & it was delicious!!!! Only problem – how do I make it all year round. Can’t find the eggnog. What can I use????

Hi, Virginia! I’m so glad to hear that this recipe was a hit! To make it year-round, you could always make a batch of homemade eggnog. Paula Deen has a good recipe, or a Google search will turn up many others. You could always scale down the recipe to the amount that you need, and you wouldn’t have to worry about the raw egg factor that is usually inherent in homemade eggnog since it will end up getting cooked in the French toast anyway.

If you don’t want to go to the trouble of making actual eggnog, you could just substitute whole milk, half-and-half, and/or cream for the eggnog. But first sweeten it with sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg (to taste). I’m willing to bet that by the time the French toast is baked, it will taste eggnog-ish! For two cups of milk/cream, I would probably start with 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and a sprinkling of nutmeg. Taste and add more sugar depending on how sweet you like it.

Please do let us know if these substitutions work out to your liking! Good luck, and thanks for the great question!

18. Wowzah! This was so yummy-I really like eggnog but had never considered baking with it. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I made mine with the Pioneer Woman’s cinnamon bread instead of regular french bread because it is what I had. I would definitely say to serve this with berries as it was a bit too sweet without them. I forgot to serve it that way but on my second round (don’t judge me, I’m literally ten months pregnant) I put raspberries and skipped syrup-PERFECT!! Thanks again!!

Yum, Michelle…I bet this recipe was great using cinnamon bread! I can see how that would make it a bit sweeter, though, so I’m glad the raspberries helped balance everything out. Congrats on your baby and I hope s/he comes SOON…I am sure you are more than ready to meet your new little one! πŸ™‚ Thanks for taking the time to comment and have a great week!

19. I can’t wait to make this for Christmas morning. One question..does the French bread loaf need to be day old and also, could I substitute egg bread (knotted loaf kind) or is that bread too dense?

Hi Lara! Yes, the bread can be fresh, and yes, you can certainly use egg bread/challah! I have other baked French toast recipes on the site (apple praline and gingerbread variations) that call for egg bread instead of French bread, so I always find them to be pretty interchangeable in this type of recipe. Hope this is a hit at your house on Christmas morning! πŸ™‚

20. Joanna Krell says:

Just found your site. I made this casserole for Sunday school yesterday. Everyone RAVED and every single bite was gobbled up! Bought enough to make another one this week. Looking through your other recipes this morning and compiling a list to start testing. Take care and have a blessed Christmas.

I’m so happy to hear that, Joanna! I hope you find some other recipes on the site to try that you end up enjoying just as much. πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing your sweet comment and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas as well!

21. I made this last year (2013) for Christmas morning it and was a hit. I actually put the raspberries and blueberries on top prior to baking and it turned out great, I plan on making again here in a few days.

What a great idea, Melanie! I’m popping this in the fridge tonight for Christmas morning breakfast tomorrow and I just might have to try baking the berries right on top this time. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a very merry Christmas!

22. Hi! This looks delicious! One question – do you use eggnog with alcohol or without?? Thanks!

Hi Katie! I’ve only ever made this recipe with non-alcoholic eggnog. However, if you wanted to use spiked eggnog, I don’t see why that wouldn’t work as well. Thanks for the question and hope you enjoy!

23. Thank you so much for this recipe! I made it for Christmas morning and it was outstanding!!!!! My parents said it was the best breakfast they ever had!! Now, I’m trying to figure out what to make for New Years breakfast…..I’m going through all of your recipes now πŸ™‚ Thank you!

I’m so happy to hear that your family enjoyed this, Erin, and I hope you find something from the site for New Year’s breakfast that ends up being just as big of a hit! πŸ™‚ Wishing you a wonderful 2015!

24. Chris Smith says:

Wow, what a hit this turned out to be. Thanks so much for this recipe. I’ve fumbled around for years perfecting our Christmas breakfast menu for our relatively large family, the past handful of which have been spent trying variations on french toast, from making my own chocolate swirl bread to other unique suggestions/manifestations, none of which I’d yet mastered but all of which seemed to be painstakingly difficult and time consuming, time not easy to find during the hustle and bustle of the holidays, especially on Christmas day when family members have to run from house to house. And then I happened upon your recipe (thanks to Pinterest) and what a savior I think this turned out to be. So easy to make. Stress-free. And absolutely delicious. This was well received by the 15 or so people who tried it throughout Christmas day. In fact, each person–every single one–went back for seconds and commented how good it was. The immediate family, for whom this really was made (though others came and went throughout the day) LOVED it! They’ve requested that we make this part of our annual tradition. Considering I broke nary a sweat during it’s preparation, I said “done deal!” I did, however, use day old bread (not sure if it made any impact whatsoever but I’ll likely use it again…why mess with a good thing?! πŸ™‚ Thanks again for posting the perfect Christmas breakfast casserole. Happy holidays to you!

I love that this recipe went over so well for Christmas breakfast at your house, Chris…thanks so much for coming back to share that it was a hit! It makes me happy to hear that it’s going to be an annual tradition for y’all now. πŸ™‚ Hope you had a wonderful holiday with your family and wishing you a fantastic 2015!

25. Made this yesterday for New Year’s Day brunch. I did switch up the recipe a bit and used some leftover panettone (half and half with the french loaf) and instead of maple syrup, I added a splash of orange juice – nice hint of citrus to pair with the candied fruit in the panettone. It was absolutely delicious and I’m pretty sure it’s my boyfriend’s new favourite brunch recipe.

I’m so happy to hear that y’all enjoyed this, Brie! I bet using the panettone and orange juice really brightened the flavor…I’ll have to try that combo sometime. πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know how it turned out. Happy 2015!

26. Katherine S says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! My husband and I made it last year for Christmas and we are making it again this year. It is incredibly delicious and eliminates the chaos of putting together breakfast for Christmas day.

I’m honored that this recipe is becoming one of your holiday traditions, Katherine! I make this every year for Christmas morning breakfast as well…so nice to pop it in the oven while opening presents! πŸ™‚

27. Do you think this would work with a brioche and challah combination or would one be better than the other?

Hi Jill! I think that baked French toast recipes like this are pretty adaptable to using different kinds of bread, as long as you make sure to use approximately the same total amount of bread. I made this Eggnog French Toast Casserole for Christmas morning yesterday using a big loaf of Challah, and it turned out perfect. I’ve never tried this recipe with brioche, but I imagine it would work just fine as well. Hope it is/was a hit! πŸ™‚

28. Great recipe! We both loved it and I’ll be making it again. Instead of topping with fresh berries, I added dried cranberries on top prior to baking.

So glad y’all enjoyed it, Rebecca! Dried cranberries on top sounds like a great idea…I’ll definitely have to try that sometime. πŸ™‚ Hope your New Year is off to a great start!

1. […] 2.Β Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole […]

2. […] Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole by Five heart Home […]

3. […] Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole from Five Heart Home […]

4. […] Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole ~ Five Heart Home […]

5. […] hot from the oven, this eggnog-soaked French toast tastes like peace on earth. It might be the start of a new […]

6. […] 11. Overnight Eggnog French Toast Casserole […]

7. […] Overnight Eggnog French Toast Cassarole is a cinch to prepare. Β Just throw it together the night before, and pop in the oven on Christmas […]

8. […]   Via                                                         Via Stay Inspired:  Via                                                         Via […]

9. […] make it really simple, I think I’m going to make this overnight casserole version. Recipe here! What are your favorite holiday breakfasts? Do you do something special for Christmas […]