Green Chile Cheddar Egg Bake is a flavorful, protein-packed, crustless quiche. It makes a satisfying breakfast any day of the week yet it's special enough to serve to guests!
A big thanks to Goldrich eggs and Acorn Influence for sponsoring this post.
As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. #GoldrichYolk
The holiday season has arrived and many of us will find our homes welcoming extended family members and a variety of other houseguests over the next couple of months. So on top of the extensive meal planning for big holiday dinners, there's also figuring out what to feed those extra mouths for breakfast and lunch!
I don't know about you, but when I have company, I do my very best to plan and make things ahead. That might mean whipping up a batch of muffins or an overnight breakfast casserole to serve the following morning. But sometimes, between all of the holiday happenings and activities, I plain run out of time! And just because I don't have a homemade breakfast already prepped when the rooster crows doesn't mean that my guests should be subjected to a bowl of cold cereal.
This Green Chile Cheddar Egg Bake is a recipe that I've been making for years on just such occasions. Almost like a quiche without the crust, it's quick and easy enough to throw together in a matter of minutes. If necessary, it can be multiplied to feed quite a few people, and as it bakes I can get the coffee brewing and slice up some fruit. But just as importantly, everybody always loves this recipe! It's savory and cheesy with a kick of extra flavor from diced green chiles (although they are very mild and even my young children have no problem eating them).
This isn't just a breakfast for guests, though. I make it for my own household on a regular basis as well. As much as I love me some carbs, I always feel good about feeding my family a good dose of protein for breakfast, and that typically means eggs. I find that eggs fuel them with energy and brainpower and keep them going strong until lunch time.
I'm kind of picky about the quality of eggs that I buy, so I was excited to try out Goldrich eggs for this recipe. Not only are the yolks rich and golden with superior flavor and texture, but they're also packed with high levels of beneficial Omega-3 and Lutein. Nope, no pale, sickly-looking yolks here...these eggs are just begging to star in something as yummy as a Green Chile Cheddar Egg Bake! 😉
When I make this breakfast (or sometimes breakfast-for-dinner) for my family, I bake it up in a round glass pie plate. However, if you require more servings, this recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 9- by 13-inch baking dish instead. You'll just have to increase the cooking time a bit, baking until the eggs are all puffed up and a thin knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
So whether you're looking for a protein-rich breakfast recipe to feed your hungry family year round, or you need a quick, tasty, well-received egg dish to serve to a houseful of guests over the holidays, Green Chile Cheddar Egg Bake is an easy-to-make "keeper" dish to add to your recipe files. Enjoy!
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Wholesome Breakfast Cookies
- Cheesy Ham & Grits Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Frittata Muffins
Green Chile Cheddar Egg Bake
- 1 can (4-ounces) mild diced green chiles
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch glass pie plate (or comparably sized baking dish) with butter or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Evenly spread green chiles in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle grated cheddar on top. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, scramble eggs. Beat in milk, salt, and pepper until well blended. Slowly pour eggs over green chiles and cheese. If any cheese is sticking up, press down on it with the back of a fork until submerged.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until center is puffy and a thin knife inserted in the center of the eggs comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving warm.