All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer

The convenience of refrigerated coffee creamer (sans the additives and preservatives of store bought) can be yours with this 4-ingredient, 5-minute, natural creamer, flavored with vanilla extract and sweetened with maple syrup.

All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for preservative-free creamer | FiveHeartHome.comWho out there enjoys a cup (or five) of coffee in the morning? {*Raises hand.*} Growing up, my parents always drank their coffee black. I didn’t understand it then and I can’t tolerate it now. My hubby drinks his with a splash of milk but no sugar, which honestly, I don’t find much better. Me? I need plenty of cream/milk, sweetener, and ideally some sort of flavoring.

But several years back when I started paying attention to food labels and incorporating more “real foods” into my family’s diet, I was appalled at the ingredients found in my favorite flavored coffee creamers. How could something so tasty incorporate so many unpronounceable additives?

All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for preservative-free creamer | FiveHeartHome.comAlas, in the years since that revelation, I’ve been forgoing all of the fun, flavored coffee creamers and making due with milk and sugar, and sometimes a splash of flavored coffee syrup (which isn’t ideal either with its preservatives and occasional food coloring, but at least it contains less junk than the store bought creamers). Recently, however, I’ve been on a make-my-own kitchen staples kick, and it occurred to me that surely it wouldn’t be too hard to whip up my very own batch of flavored coffee creamer to store in the refrigerator and enjoy all week long.

All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for preservative-free creamer | FiveHeartHome.comSure enough, it was beyond easy. In a matter if minutes I had rich, delicious coffee creamer, made with real milk and cream, flavored with my most beloved brand of vanilla extract, and sweetened with pure maple syrup (instead of the sweetened condensed milk found in some versions of homemade coffee creamer).

You might be wondering if the resulting coffee tastes maple-y and the answer is no. I know that I’d be better off learning to drink my coffee unsweetened altogether, but if I’m going to ingest breakfast-time sugar on a daily basis, at least maple syrup is natural and unrefined. If you’ve followed this blog for awhile, you’ve probably noticed that I use maple syrup to sweeten recipes quite regularly. I get a great deal on big jugs of pure maple syrup ordered from Amazon (Coomb’s Family Farms 100% Pure Organic Grade B Maple Syrup is my favorite, just in case you’re wondering), and you’d better believe I put those jugs to good use.

All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for preservative-free creamer | FiveHeartHome.comI’m very pleased with this recipe as a starting point, and I’m so excited to experiment with it more, incorporating some pumpkin pie spices come fall and some peppermint extract and chocolate syrup (I have a homemade, all-natural recipe for that coming your way soon as well!) around Christmas. In the same way, you can adjust the richness of this creamer by tweaking the ratio of milk to heavy cream, and you can make it more or less sweet by fine-tuning the maple syrup to your liking.

But the very best part of this coffee creamer? For at least the next few days (or until the novelty wears off), this chronically sleep-deprived mama is actually looking forward to waking up…just so I can enjoy another mug of creamy, vanilla-laced coffee, thanks to this quick and easy recipe. πŸ˜‰

(UPDATE: If you’re interested in trying another flavor, now you can enjoy Homemade Chocolate Almond Coffee Creamer as well!)

All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer

All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer

The convenience of refrigerated coffee creamer (without the additives and preservatives of store bought) can be yours with this four-ingredient, five-minute, all-natural creamer, flavored with pure vanilla extract and sweetened with real maple syrup.

• 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1. Combine cream, milk, and maple syrup in a small pot set over medium heat. Stir together until bubbles start forming around the edges of the pot and mixture is very warm. Remove pot from heat and blend in vanilla. Allow to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes before transferring to a jar or bottle and storing in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.

Feel free to adjust the milk-to-cream ratio if you prefer your creamer lighter or richer, and you may also tweak the amount of maple syrup depending on how sweet you like your coffee.

If you are bothered by the skin that forms on top of the creamer while it sits at room temperature, you may strain the creamer through a fine mesh sieve before storing.

Slightly adapted from Deliciously Organic

All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ enjoy rich, creamy, vanilla-laced coffee without the preservatives and artificial ingredients of store-bought creamers! | FiveHeartHome.com

Some other make-your-own kitchen staples…

Homemade Chocolate Almond Coffee Creamer
Chocolate Almond Coffee Creamer ~ this all-natural creamer is sweetened with pure maple syrup and flavored with cocoa powder, almond extract, and vanilla extract for a decadent, delicious way to dress up your morning cup 'o joe! | FiveHeartHome.com

{5-Minute, 5-Ingredient} Homemade Caramel Sauce
{5-Minute, 5-Ingredient} Homemade Caramel Sauce ~ a jar of this makes a perfect gift! | {Five Heart Home}

Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix
Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix ~ make it in bulk for a quick pot of chili any time of year without the preservatives of store-bought mix | FiveHeartHome.com

Homemade Whole Wheat Waffle Mix
Homemade Whole Wheat Waffle Mix ~ an economical pantry staple for conveniently whipping up fluffy, all-natural, 100% whole wheat waffles! | FiveHeartHome.com

Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
The BEST Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing ~ all-natural, loaded with herbs, simple to make, and so good that you'll never go back to store-bought again! | FiveHeartHome.com

And see all of our PRINTABLES <<< here!

Comments

Can’t wait to see if you come up with a Mocha flavored creamer! I just adore coffee; drink wayyyy too much of it, light and sweet, and flavored only sometimes. Mostly I like just ‘regular’ coffee. But I do love my Mocha Cappucinos now and then. Occasionally a hazelnut also. Thanks for a great post!

Deb

I will definitely be working on other versions, Deb! For mocha, I bet you could just reduce or eliminate the vanilla and stir in a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder? Let me know if you figure it out before I do — ha! Happy Friday…have a great weekend! πŸ™‚

2. I’ve never thought to make my own creamer. I typically drink my coffee black but I do like to have creamer on hand in case I get a craving for it. I love the addition of maple syrup!

Thanks, Kathy! I wish I liked coffee black…but since I don’t, making my own creamer is the next best thing! πŸ˜‰ And I love maple syrup as well and find myself incorporating it into all sorts of things. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

3. Sounds wonderful! I love flavoring but hate the junk in the processed stuff, so this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Oh–my family is addicted to your natural queso dip now! πŸ™‚

Thank you, Dee! I hope you enjoy this creamer as much as y’all love the queso…it makes me so happy to hear that! πŸ™‚ I’m totally addicted to it as well. Thanks for stopping by!

4. I love flavored coffee creamer, but never thought to make my own before. I love the thought of using only four ingredients. Pinning this for later. Thanks!

It’s so quick and easy, Carrie…there’s no reason to ever buy it again! πŸ˜‰ I appreciate the pin and hope you enjoy this creamer!

5. Samantha, this is pretty awesome! My daughter and I love different coffee creamer flavors and this will be fun to try! Thank you so much for sharing this at Best of the Weekend – pinned and will be sharing! Hope you have a happy and fabulous weekend!

Thanks, Cindy! I hope that you and your daughter enjoy this one. πŸ™‚ Hope your weekend was great and that your week ahead is even better!

6. I love love coffee. But you can’t live in the Pacific NW and not be a coffee snob. So I do love cream or milk in my coffee, but not the creamers. On the other hand show me a latte or a mocha and I am off and running. This looks divine. I am going to make jug to take to work. I suspect I will become an even more popular person—laughing—–I bake cookies for work so that is the my popularity driver.

Too funny, Carol…I’m sure you are quite popular at work if you regularly treat everyone to homemade cookies! And your status is sure to rise even higher if you start bringing homemade coffee creamer as well… πŸ˜‰ I hope that you and your co-workers enjoy this recipe!

7. Oh I bet this is a fantastically Heavenly creamer! Mmmm

8. Okay, I’m definitely trying this! My son loves vanilla coffee creamer and I just know he’d love this homemade version. Thanks!

9. I love a little coffee to go along with my cream and sugar! It’s one of my worst habits! This creamer looks delicious and would probably be a healthier alternative for people like me. Thanks for sharing this!

I’m with you, Carrie…I’ve got to work on upping my coffee ratio compared to the cream and sugar! πŸ˜‰ But at least I feel a little better drinking this homemade creamer since I know exactly what’s in it. Hope you enjoy it if you have a chance to try it! Thanks for stopping by…have a wonderful week!

10. I’m following a Low Carb Healthy Fat diet and am trying wean myself off sugar in my coffee so I am so happy to find this recipe! Thank you so much. I’m pinning it right now.

Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

11. GREAT recipe… and your coffee mug is SO pretty! I found you through the Two Cup Tuesday link party

Thank you so much, Becca! I found that mug on clearance at Target…I’m always looking for pretty food props and the price was right — ha! πŸ˜‰ Thanks for hopping over…I’m glad you stopped by!

12. MMM…I love homemade stuff and this looks like an excellent way to make your own creamer. Thanks for sharing!!

You’re very welcome, Amanda! I hope you get to try this soon and that you love it when you do! πŸ™‚

13. I love the idea of making your own coffee creamer! Sounds delicious!

Thanks, Shannon! It’s so easy and so good that I don’t see myself ever buying it again. I appreciate you stopping by…happy Friday!

14. I too cannot stand store bought coffee creamers. Gag me! I have been buying the Coffeemate Natural Bliss ones because of the milk and cream, but this sounds awesome! I should make my own. Thank you for sharing!

15. I am so excited to find this recipe! I loove my liquid coffee creamer, but I have been hoping to find a more natural alternative without all the yucky ingredients. I can’t wait to try it out! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

16. I have made my own creamers and will be trying your recipe the next time I make it.. I love the addition of maple syrup. Pinning this.

17. This creamer sounds delicious! I’m with you…I don’t understand people who drink their coffee black. πŸ˜‰ I’d love for you to link this up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop that’s live right now. Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Nici

Thanks, Nici, and I appreciate the reminder about your party! Hopping over now…have a great weekend! πŸ™‚

18. What a great idea to use maple syrup. I can’t wait to try!

Thanks, Jennifer…I hope you end up loving it! I think using syrup is a great alternative to regular sugar and I’ve never detected the maple flavor. πŸ™‚

19. As a fellow coffee lover, I am also interested in trying to make my own coffee creamer. Although I’m lactose intolerant, I’ll have to sub the heavy cream. Thanks for the inspiration-your pictures are beautiful!

Thanks, Marisa! I’m sure this would still turn out great with your favorite non-dairy substitute. My son is lactose intolerant and, while he obviously doesn’t drink coffee yet at the ripe old age of 6, I generally have luck substituting coconut milk or almond milk for regular milk in most recipes that he’s going to be enjoying. Please let me know how this creamer turns out if you attempt a dairy-free version! πŸ™‚ Happy Friday!

20. I just made this and and my whole family LOVED it!! πŸ™‚ The maple syrup gave the creamer just the right amount of sweetness. It may sound crazy but we use coffee creamer in our fruit smoothies instead of milk or yogurt and it’s awesome! Thanks for a great recipe πŸ™‚

Yay…I’m so glad to hear that this recipe was a hit with your family! And what a great idea to use creamer in smoothies…thanks for the tip! I’m going to have to try that soon. πŸ™‚

21. trissina says:

Hi! I got so excited to make this that I accidentally added in the vanilla extract with all the ingredients before I realized that it was supposed to be added later. Will this affect the quality or flavor at all?

LOVE your site-I never knew how much junk was in my coffee creamer-turns out I’m allergic to about all of it thanks for making it an easy adjustment!

Hi Trissina! I think your creamer will be just fine if you added the vanilla at the beginning of the recipe. πŸ™‚ Vanilla is typically added after heating the ingredients in a recipe like this because it has an alcohol base which evaporates quickly, and some of the vanilla flavor can dissipate at the same time. So if you feel like your creamer didn’t turn out vanilla-y enough, just stir in a tiny splash more now that it’s done and all will be well. πŸ™‚

I’m so glad that you’re enjoying the site! Hopefully you find some other recipes that you’d like to try. πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the question, and I hope you enjoy your creamer!

22. Hi
    I just found your site and wanted the recipe for caramel sauce but when I touched on the title the page said not available. Could you send it to my email? Or post it here.

Thanks, Nancy

23. Thank you for this awesome write-up Samantha! This morning when I was making my usual vanilla iced-coffee I looked at the creamer and noticed that is was 35 calories…… per tbsp!!!! Definitely going to be making a change. Thanks for sharing, and I love your photos πŸ™‚ Great job!

24. I am so glad I found your recipe! I have tried homemade creamers that use sweetened condensed milk and I just do not like them. I had to tweek a little based on what I had but it was delicious! I used 1% milk instead of whole milk and splenda instead of pure cane maple syrup. I also made an amaretto flavor using 1 tsp of vanilla 1 tsp of almond extract and 1 tsp ground cinnamon in the recipe. Yummy. Thanks!

So glad you enjoyed it, Crystal! Your amaretto variation sounds delicious! I don’t know if you saw it, but I recently shared a new Chocolate Almond Coffee Creamer recipe as well, in case you like those flavors. πŸ™‚ Hope you’re having a great weekend!

25. I love that this doesn’t use sweetened condensed milk. We can always taste the “can” flavor when making it with that! πŸ™ Definitely trying this one.

I agree, Gina…I can’t do the sweetened condensed milk creamer recipes. This one ends up tasting so much better! Hope you enjoy it if you have a chance to try it! πŸ™‚

26. Hi Samantha,
    Just found your recipe for vanilla coffee creamer. I’m a morning coffee drinker and prefer it “creamed with a little sweetener.” Found what I thought was a great creamer but all the extra ‘garbage’ just puts me off.
    A question … what happens if you eliminate the heavy cream — trying to cut down on fat calories! I also want to use vanilla to help with the flavor of “plain, no-fat Greek yogurt. Waddya think? Joni

Hi Joni! You should be able to replace the heavy cream in this recipe with a lighter option — such as half-and-half — or simply make the recipe with all milk (using 2 1/4 cups total). Your coffee creamer just won’t turn out quite as rich. You mentioned Greek yogurt in your comment but I’m not positive if you were asking if this could be used instead of the heavy cream? I’ve never tried stirring yogurt into coffee so I’m not sure how that would turn out, if it would curdle, etc. And you mentioned vanilla, but that’s already in the creamer recipe. You could definitely boost the amount of vanilla a bit but I’d be careful about using too much. Hope that helps and hope you have a great weekend! πŸ™‚

1. […] All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer from Five Heart Home […]

2. […] All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer2014. 2. 19. – Alas, in the years since that revelation, I’ve been forgoing all of the fun, flavored coffee creamers and making due with milk and sugar, and …http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/02/19/all-natural-and-homemade-vanilla-coffee-creamer/ […]

3. […] All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer2014. 2. 19. – All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for preservative- Who out there enjoys a cup (or five) of coffee in …http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/02/19/all-natural-and-homemade-vanilla-coffee-creamer/ […]

4. […] All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer2014. 2. 19. – Alas, in the years since that revelation, I’ve been forgoing all of the fun, flavored coffee creamers and making due with milk and sugar, and …http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/02/19/all-natural-and-homemade-vanilla-coffee-creamer/ […]

5. […] All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee CreamerFebruary 19, 2014 by Samantha at Five Heart Home 44 Comments … All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for …http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/02/19/all-natural-and-homemade-vanilla-coffee-creamer/ […]

6. […] All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer2014. 2. 19. – Alas, in the years since that revelation, I’ve been forgoing all of the fun, flavored coffee creamers and making due with milk and sugar, and …http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/02/19/all-natural-and-homemade-vanilla-coffee-creamer/ […]

7. […] All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer2014. 2. 19. – All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for preservative- Who out there enjoys a cup (or five) of coffee in …http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/02/19/all-natural-and-homemade-vanilla-coffee-creamer/ […]

8. […] All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer2014. 2. 19. – All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for preservative- I’m very pleased with this recipe as a starting …http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/02/19/all-natural-and-homemade-vanilla-coffee-creamer/ […]

9. […] All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer2014. 2. 19. – All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for preservative- Who out there enjoys a cup (or five) of coffee in …http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/02/19/all-natural-and-homemade-vanilla-coffee-creamer/ […]

10. […] All-Natural and Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer2014. 2. 19. – All-Natural Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer ~ 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for preservative- I’m very pleased with this recipe as a starting …http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/02/19/all-natural-and-homemade-vanilla-coffee-creamer/ […]

11. […] All-Natural & Homemade: Vanilla Coffee Creamer […]

12. […] may have coffee on the eating clean program and you may add creamer, just not store-bought creamer. Here is a recipe to make your own vanilla coffee creamer. Did you know this is what you are drinking when you add vanilla creamer to your coffee? Here is a […]