Tomato Cucumber Salad is tossed with a creamy, sweet-and-tangy Poppyseed Dressing in this fresh, healthy, summertime side dish recipe!
I wonder if anyone has picked up on the fact that about this time every summer, I inevitably post a recipe that combines tomatoes and cucumbers in some form or fashion? And while I absolutely adore this particular combo, I have to admit that the phenomenon has less to do with my 'mater-cuke affinity and more to do with the fact that my in-laws' garden has been supplying us with more tomatoes and cucumbers than we know what to do with!
This year's tomato cucumber salad actually comes a few weeks later than the incarnations of previous years, primarily because of a major spring hail storm that required replanting of some already established plants...and thus, a delayed tomato harvest. But boy are we making up for it now! Last week, I made this giant Tomato Cucumber Poppy Seed Salad to enjoy the spoils, and it was so yummy and gorgeous that I couldn't help myself from sharing it with you here today.
Crunchy cucumbers and juicy tomatoes are the stars of this salad, of course, but I went a different route than usual in tossing it with a sweet-and-tangy dressing, generously speckled with poppy seeds. The creamy dressing plays off of the cool cucumbers and acidic tomatoes beautifully, and the salad as a whole is delicious whether you enjoy it immediately or let the flavors meld as it chills in the fridge.
As a quick aside, I have to share a funny story about these pics. I was at my mom's when I made this salad, and unfortunately, the lighting in her house is less-than-ideal for food photography. So I decided to move my salad out to the back patio, where the lighting was great but I had no choice but to arrange everything upon a plastic gardening box (though it does rather resemble a black wooden table, right???). But the real kicker? I had to employ my 7-year-old as the official Five Heart Home "fly swisher" to keep those pesky things from landing on my salad as I photographed it! Ah, the trials and tribulations of being a food blogger. Oh, and as a bonus, my mom's neighbor-across-the-fence now officially thinks I'm crazy. 😉
So what's your favorite way to enjoy a tomato cucumber bounty? If combining these stars of summer into a salad sounds appealing, I hope you'll give this Tomato Cucumber Poppy Seed version a spin! It's vibrant, it's simple, and it's oh-so-good...
More Summer Salads
- Mango Salsa with Avocado
- Amazing Marinated Tomatoes
- German Potato Salad
- Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, & Fresh Corn
Tomato Cucumber Poppyseed Salad
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- 3 cups peeled and diced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons poppyseeds
- Combine the diced tomatoes and cucumbers in a large bowl.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, yogurt, mustard powder, salt, and garlic powder. Blend/process for 15 to 20 seconds. Add the poppyseeds and pulse a few times until incorporated.
- Pour dressing over salad, to taste (you probably won't use it all...refrigerate any leftover dressing). Either serve salad immediately or chill for several hours and then stir before serving.
- Large tomatoes should be diced, but grape or cherry tomatoes may be halved or left whole, depending on size. You may seed the cucumbers if they are large and contain a lot of seeds.
- You may use plain regular yogurt if you don't have Greek.