Tomato Cucumber Salad is tossed with a creamy, sweet-and-tangy Poppy Seed Dressing in this fresh, healthy, summertime side dish recipe!
I wonder if anyone has picked up on the fact that about this time every summer, I inevitably post a recipe that combines tomatoes and cucumbers in some form or fashion? And while I absolutely adore this particular combo, I have to admit that the phenomenon has less to do with my 'mater-cuke affinity and more to do with the fact that my in-laws' garden has been supplying us with more tomatoes and cucumbers than we know what to do with! Enter today's Tomato Cucumber Poppy Seed Salad!
This year's tomato cucumber salad actually comes a few weeks later than the incarnations of previous years, primarily because of a major spring hail storm that required replanting of some already established plants...and thus, a delayed tomato harvest. But boy are we making up for it now! Last week, I made this giant salad to enjoy the spoils, and it was so yummy and gorgeous that I couldn't help myself from sharing it with you here today.
Crunchy cucumbers and juicy tomatoes are the stars of this salad, of course, but I went a different route than usual in tossing it with a sweet-and-tangy dressing, generously speckled with poppy seeds.
The creamy dressing plays off of the cool cucumbers and acidic tomatoes beautifully, and the salad as a whole is delicious whether you enjoy it immediately or let the flavors meld as it chills in the fridge.
As a quick aside, I have to share a funny story about these pics. I was at my mom's when I made this Tomato Cucumber Poppy Seed Salad and, unfortunately, the lighting in her house is less-than-ideal for food photography. So I decided to move my salad out to the back patio, where the lighting was great but I had no choice but to arrange everything upon a plastic gardening box (though it does rather resemble a black wooden table, right???).
But the real kicker? I had to employ my 7-year-old as the official Five Heart Home "fly swisher" to keep those pesky things from landing on my salad as I photographed it!
Ah, the trials and tribulations of being a food blogger. Oh, and as a bonus, my mom's neighbor-across-the-fence now officially thinks I'm crazy. 😉
So what's your favorite way to enjoy a tomato cucumber bounty?
If combining these stars of summer into a salad sounds appealing, I hope you'll give this Tomato Cucumber Poppy Seed version a spin!
It's vibrant, it's simple, and it's oh-so-good.
More Summer Salads
- Mango Salsa with Avocado
- Amazing Marinated Tomatoes
- German Potato Salad
- Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, & Fresh Corn
Tomato Cucumber Poppy Seed Salad
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- 3 cups peeled and diced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons poppyseeds
- Combine the diced tomatoes and cucumbers in a large bowl.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, yogurt, mustard powder, salt, and garlic powder. Blend/process for 15 to 20 seconds. Add the poppyseeds and pulse a few times until incorporated.
- Pour dressing over salad, to taste (you probably won't use it all...refrigerate any leftover dressing). Either serve salad immediately or chill for several hours and then stir before serving.
- Large tomatoes should be diced, but grape or cherry tomatoes may be halved or left whole, depending on size. You may seed the cucumbers if they are large and contain a lot of seeds.
- You may use plain regular yogurt if you don't have Greek.