Savory Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread

This savory monkey bread is quick and easy, thanks to refrigerated biscuits that are dipped in garlic butter and coated in herbs and cheese for a ring of rolls that are as festive as they are delicious.

Savory Herb and Cheese Monkey Bread ~ quick and easy, made with refrigerated biscuits, festive for the holidays, from Thanksgiving to Christmas to Easter | {Five Heart Home}Have I mentioned to y’all that I joined Twitter last week? Well, I did, and if you’d like to follow my riveting tweets (along with my other 21 followers so far), I’d be honored to have you. I’m @FiveHeartHome. Creative, no?

I also joined Instagram on the same day and, hello? Where have I been all this time??? As much as I enjoy taking and sharing pictures, you’d think I would have discovered Instagram long, long ago (I’m FiveHeartHome on IG as well, if you care to join me as one of my photography-obsessed brethren –er, sistren?).

Now I’m sure you’re wondering how any of that is relevant to this recipe, and I’m about to tell you. I promise this post does not merely involve shameless self-promotion. ;)

Savory Herb and Cheese Monkey Bread ~ quick and easy, made with refrigerated biscuits, festive for the holidays, from Thanksgiving to Christmas to Easter | {Five Heart Home}So…I was on my phone scrolling through my Twitter feed (is that what you even call it?) last week and the most mouth-watering photo popped up via a Food Network tweet. It depicted a colorful, savory monkey bread and I immediately thought to myself, “I must make that for Thanksgiving this year!”

Like any good Twitter newbie would do, I neglected to simply click on the link from my phone. Instead, I hopped on my laptop and pulled up the Food Network site, where I was able to quickly track down this monkey-bread-o’-my-dreams. Upon reading the recipe, however, I decided to make a few changes:

Savory Herb and Cheese Monkey Bread ~ quick and easy, made with refrigerated biscuits, festive for the holidays, from Thanksgiving to Christmas to Easter | {Five Heart Home}(1.) Instead of drizzling the layers with olive oil, I rolled each biscuit piece in butter, since that’s how I’d always made sweet versions of monkey bread. And since I’m a fan of garlic, I decided to lace that butter with some garlic salt.

And (2.), instead of using refrigerated breadsticks, I uesd my favorite refrigerated biscuits, of which I already happened to have two cans in the fridge. Any old refrigerated biscuit or bread dough should work, but (as I’ve mentioned before) I’m partial to Immaculate Baking Company biscuits, because their ingredients are natural and straightforward. I used two 16-ounce cans of jumbo buttermilk biscuits (one happened to be the flaky buttermilk variety and the other was regular buttermilk, but they worked equally well), and that seemed to be the perfect amount.

Savory Herb and Cheese Monkey Bread ~ quick and easy, made with refrigerated biscuits, festive for the holidays, from Thanksgiving to Christmas to Easter | {Five Heart Home}I’m happy to report that my monkey bread turned out fabulous! It’s obviously not Thanksgiving quite yet, but my little test run went over swimmingly with my family. We pulled the rolls apart, split them open, and stuffed them with slices of sharp cheddar for a special Sunday lunch…yum.

What’s extra fun about this recipe is that it’s so customizable. You are in complete control of your biscuit coatings. Living in central Texas, we haven’t had a freeze yet and my herb garden is still running rampant. So I rolled some of my biscuits in fresh parsley and fresh dill. But you could just as easily substitute dried herbs. I also chose to use chopped almonds, shredded cheddar cheese, and grated Parmesan (mixed with some paprika for a deeper color). I thought that this combo of herbs and cheeses would make for monkey bread with great flavor and eye appeal.

Savory Herb and Cheese Monkey Bread ~ quick and easy, made with refrigerated biscuits, festive for the holidays, from Thanksgiving to Christmas to Easter | {Five Heart Home}I can think of lots of yummy variations, however. You could do basil, oregano, parsley, and Parmesan to accompany an Italian meal. You could use cilantro, Monterrey jack, and taco seasoning for a Mexican theme. You could mix your cheese and herbs and coat each biscuit ball with the same mixture, or keep all of the coatings separate and alternate your biscuits like I did here today.

Do keep in mind that some herbs and spices are stronger than others. The dill I used in my variation was a bit overpowering, but my family loves dill so it didn’t bother us at all (in fact, my boys fought over the dill-covered rolls). Also, dried herbs are generally going to be more concentrated than fresh, and whether it’s dried or fresh, something like rosemary will fall under the umbrella of a little bit goes a long way.

Savory Herb and Cheese Monkey Bread ~ quick and easy, made with refrigerated biscuits, festive for the holidays, from Thanksgiving to Christmas to Easter | {Five Heart Home}My other tip is to make sure you use a nonstick Bundt pan that has been well greased with butter or coated down with a thick layer of cooking spray. And then, before overturning your monkey bread, you might want to run a thin, soft rubber spatula around the edges and down the sides to make sure there aren’t any spots of sticking cheese. Additionally, the bread at the top, open side of the pan ends up being the prettiest part, so after you flip the bread out onto a plate, flip it one more time onto your serving platter.

Savory Herb and Cheese Monkey Bread ~ quick and easy, made with refrigerated biscuits, festive for the holidays, from Thanksgiving to Christmas to Easter | {Five Heart Home}There you have it! A fun, festive take on dinner rolls that will liven up your holiday table, from Thanksgiving to Christmas to Easter. This savory monkey bread is sure to garner oohs and ahhs, and your dinner guests will never believe how quick and easy it is to make…meaning, of course, that you are under no obligation to tell them. ;)

Savory Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread

Yield: 10 servings

Savory Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread

• 2 (16 ounce) cans of jumbo refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 5 or so different herbs and/or cheeses, as coatings (such as fresh chopped parsley, chopped dill, chopped almonds, grated Parmesan, and shredded cheddar)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9- to 10-inch Bundt pan with butter, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Stir garlic salt into melted butter. Cut each biscuit in half and roll into a ball. Dip each biscuit ball in butter, then roll in desired coating. Arrange biscuits in the pan so that the various coatings are alternated.
  3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until biscuits are done and surface is golden. You may want to start checking bread at about 25 minutes, and if it's browning too quickly, lay a sheet of aluminum foil on top for the remainder of the baking time.
  4. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a thin, soft rubber spatula around the edge and down the sides of the pan to loosen any stuck cheese. Invert onto a plate, then lay serving platter on top and flip bread over onto serving platter so that the attractive side is on top.

Tips, Tricks, & Variations

If you wish to assemble the bread ahead of time, you may do so, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours, up to overnight. Take the pan out of the refrigerator as you preheat the oven, and then bake as directed.

If you don't want to alternate your biscuit coatings, you can mix the cheese and herbs together and use the same coating for all of the biscuits. Whatever you decide, you need to use some sort of cheese on at least some of the pieces since that's what holds the monkey bread together once you unmold it.

Keep in mind that dried herbs are more concentrated than fresh herbs, so adjust amounts accordingly.

You may use just about any type of refrigerated biscuits or bread dough. You just want the total amount of dough used to be around 32 ounces.

Adapted from Food Network.

Facebook   |   Google+   |   Pinterest   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

This post may be linked up to Live Laugh Rowe, Mandy’s Recipe Box, House of Rose, 4 Little Fergusons, Lil’ Luna, Uncommon Designs, SNAP Creativity, and these fabulous parties!

Comments

Beautiful and creative! Will look great on your Thanksgiving table…I joined Twitter too, recently, but am a total flop at it! Lol….have a great day, Sam!

Deb

Ha, Deb! I think I’m a flop at Twitter so far as well, but I’m going to keep plugging away. ;) Thanks, as always, for the kind words…hope your week is off to a great start!

2. This looks delicious and gorgeous! The herbs looks so bright and pretty.

3. Ok, seriously! Love how pretty this is, totally need to make that this year. And, welcome to twitter and instagram my friend. :) Pinning! Hope you have a great rest of the night!

Thanks so much, Krista, for the sweet words and the pin! I’m slowly getting the hang of Twitter, and I already love Instagram. Gotta’ start somewhere, I suppose! ;)

4. This i so pretty ! I’m sure it tastes delicious!

Thank you, Lizy! It turned out just the way I hoped it would…now to replicate it on Thanksgiving! ;) Have a great week!

5. OMG not only is this GORGEOUS it looks delicious! Truly a work of art. I think I’ll have to try this for Thanksgiving! : )

Thank you, Ashley…you’re too sweet! It’s deceptively easy for being so pretty. :) Hope you enjoy it if you try it for Thanksgiving!

6. This is the most gorgeous savoury monkey bread I’ve ever seen! Definitely on my to-make list…pinned!

7. Wow these look amazing! Also I must say savory monkey bread is such a neat Idea :)

8. This is a great idea when people have different tastes! I followed you on twitter as well. (P.S. Twitter still freaks me out!)

Thanks so much, Holly! I just followed you back…and yes, I am figuring out that there is definitely a learning curve when it comes to Twitter! ;) I appreciate you stopping by!

9. I love it!! You were absolutely right about how visually appealing your combos would be! It looks lovely, I hope you don’t mind if I make my own variation and blog about it (I will link back to you, of course!) Thanks for sharing on Totally Tasty Tuesdays! HUGS!

10. I need to make this for my savory friends.

11. This looks scrumptious, Samantha ! We do not have the refrigerated biscuits, but I have an idea for a substitute ;-) Thanks for sharing !

Thanks for stopping by, Linda! I think this premise would work well with homemade dough as well. I hope your version is a hit!

12. Samantha, these look amazing! I love the presentation it makes, and the variation of flavors! Something everyone will love! This may need to make its way onto my holiday menu : ) Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much, Liz! It’s such a fun variation on monkey bread, and I love all of the different ways you could change it up. You’ll have to try it on a regular night if not during the holidays… ;) Thanks for stopping by!

13. Be still my heart! That look amazing! Pinned.

14. what an amazing recipe, and your photos are stunning

Thank you so much, Heather! That means a lot coming from you…I always think your photos are beautiful. :) Thanks for stopping by…hope you have a great weekend!

15. WOW! Samantha, this looks absolutely amazing! I love that you did a savory monkey bread and the photos could be in a magazine, no kidding! Thank you so much for sharing at Best of the Weekend – pinning and sharing! :) Have a great weekendQ

You are too kind, Cindy. Thank you so much for the complimentary words, the pin, and the share! Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

16. Yum! This looks delicious and it’s so pretty:)

Thank you, Shannon! It’s deceptively easy to make for how pretty it turns out…my favorite kind of recipe! ;) Thanks for stopping by!

17. Looks fantastic!!
    Makes me wanna grab some and eat :)

18. These look wonderful!! Thanks for sharing! Pinned ;)

19. What a great variation on traditional monkey bread. It’s perfect for family meals! I’ll definitely be trying this for the holiday season!

Thanks so much, Dyanna…it really is a fun spin on monkey bread! I hope it’s a hit with your family over the holidays. :) Have a great week!

20. Gina Miller says:

This is just plain yummyness!!

21. Any recommendations for alternative pans, if I don’t want to go buy a fancy one?

Hi, Maggie…great question! I think you could use any round pan and still form your biscuits into a ring with an open area in the center, though the hole in the middle might not stay quite so perfectly round. Or you could make a solid monkey bread by laying your biscuits all over the bottom of a pan of any shape or size. I just wouldn’t go more than two layers tall without using a bundt pan because I’d be concerned that the biscuits in the center might not cook all the way through. Hope that helps…enjoy!

22. Wow! This sounds delish – you’re making me hungry! I’m hosting a pillow covers giveaway that you should enter.

23. Pretty, yummy and easy, which make this bread … perfect!

Thanks so much for the kind comment, Brenda! I agree that this bread is all of those things. Hope it graces lots of Thanksgiving tables next week! :)

24. This looks SO delicious! can’t wait to try it :) pinning!

Thanks so much, Angela! I appreciate you stopping by, commenting, and pinning! Have a great night… :)

25. Congratulations…this post was featured on Create It Thursday #29! Thanks for sharing such a great idea with us last week!

What an honor, Leslie! I really appreciate you stopping by to let me know! I was thrilled to just recently discover your fabulous party. I’ve already linked up tonight…thanks so much for hosting! :)

26. Girl, this monkey bread looks fantastic! My mouth is watering just looking at the photos. I’m definitely going to try this! Visiting from Live Laugh Rowe – congrats on the feature!

Thanks so much for the sweet words, Sarah! I do hope you get to try this recipe sometime. I really appreciate you stopping by…happy Friday! :)

27. Hi Samantha
    Fabulous pictures! Thanks for the party, I can’t wait to make these–absolutely yummy! Look forward to receiving your posts in my inbox :)

Thanks so much! Very glad to have you here and honored that you’re going to be following along from now on… :) Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

28. Not only does this monkey bread look like it tastes delicious, but it’s gorgeous to just look at! I wanted to say thanks for linking your recipe up to our Lovely Ladies link party, and to let you know I’ve featured it in a great round-up of Thanksgiving sides & appetizers. You can check it out if you’d like.
    Thanks so much- Molly from Just a Little Creativity

Thanks so much for featuring my recipe, Molly, and for stopping by to let me know! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

29. Oh my! These look so amazing. What a fabulous idea. If I were making the rolls for Thanksgiving, these are what we would have. I will make these during the season for the presentation alone! Great pictures, too.

Thanks so much, Sally! I agree that their presentation is great for a fancy occasion, but they’re so easy to make, you could throw them together to make a weeknight dinner special, too. Enjoy! :)

30. Your bread looks delicious and I love how you made different types of rolls. I want to try this for Christmas and I’m going to do a trial run this week. Did you cut your biscuits in half or use them full size? Also, did you roll them into balls? They look so perfectly round. I can’t wait to try your recipe!

Hi Kimberly! Yes, I used jumbo-sized biscuits, which I cut in half and then rolled into balls. Good luck with your trial run and I hope these are a hit at Christmas!

31. I am sharing this on my FB page tomorrow!!

Thank you so much, Beth! I really appreciate you sharing and stopping by to let me know. :) Hope your week is off to a great start!

32. This looks amazing! But I’m curious about what the refrigerated biscuits are? I’m from Australia, I don’t think I’ve seen these here. Is it a pre-made dough? Is it sweet? Thanks!

Hi Beth! Refrigerated biscuits come in a can. You pop open the can, put the biscuits in a pan or on a cookie sheet, and they bake up in about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how big they are. For this particular recipe I used these: http://www.immaculatebaking.com/product/buttermilk-biscuits/ , but there are many different brands available is the USA. Do you think you have anything similar to this product in Australia?

33. We are hosting my grandfathers 90th birthday party today and I decided to make these for an appetizer. I haven’t even tasted them but the smell from the oven is divine! I used a few different mixes; dill, paprika and cheese mixture, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, cinnamon-sugar, and some other herbs. I also was thinking that you could easily make this for a brunch, if you got blueberry biscuits and changed the toppings to more sweet versions like cinnamon-sugar, cheese, powdered sugar, etc. Thanks again!

First off, happy birthday to your grandfather, Becky! 90 years old…how wonderful! I hope that this monkey bread was a hit at his birthday party…the combo of biscuit coatings you used sounds yummy! And what a great idea to try a sweet version with blueberry biscuits! My only word of warning is that they might not stick together unless they have something cheesy/sticky coating at least some of the biscuits…but I’m sure they’d taste delicious even if they fell apart! ;) Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, and I hope your week is off to a great start!

34. Pinning this beauty right NOW !!! This is one of those recipes that can make just about anybody look like a great cook in front of company. I’m kitchen impaired so I need all the help I can get! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Thanks so much for the pin, Bridget! And you’re right…this is so impressive to serve that nobody would ever guess how easy it is to make! Hope it’s a hit when you have a chance to try it. I appreciate you taking the time to comment…hope you’re having a wonderful week! :)

1. […] She is awesome and makes some pretty mouth watering recipes you won’t want to miss, like this Savory Herb and Cheese Monkey Bread… YUM! I just know you will love […]

2. […] Savory Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread by Five Heart Home […]

3. […] Wednesdays Pinterest board, so make sure you’re following along.Now on to the features…This savory monkey bread is totally drool worthyand just look at these rolls, YUMI am simply smitten with these chair backersHow cute are these cork […]

4. […] Pinterest board, so make sure you’re following along. Now on to the features… This savory monkey bread is totally drool worthy and just look at these rolls, YUM I am simply smitten with these chair backers How cute […]

5. […] Pinterest board, so make sure you’re following along. Now on to the features… This savory monkey bread is totally drool worthy and just look at these rolls, YUM I am simply smitten with these chair backers How cute […]

6. […] Savory Herb and Cheese Monkey Bread by Five Heart Home […]

7. […] seriously hungry after looking at this Savory Herb Cheese Monkey Bread and Bacon Green Bean Bundles by Five Heart […]

8. […] 1: Cranberry Gimlet, Savory Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread, Vegetable Pot Pie, Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples; Row 2: Creamy Ricotta-Blue Cheese Spread, […]

9. […] 6. Savory Herb and Cheese Monkey Bread from Five Hearts Home […]