Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is swirled with a ribbon of sweet and tangy cream cheese filling and topped with a buttery, cinnamon streusel topping, making it a perfect breakfast, brunch, or coffee time treat!
Is there anything better than a big hunk 'o coffee cake? Why, yes, actually...yes, there is. And that something would be a big hunk 'o Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, whose tender vanilla cake is abundantly showered with cinnamon streusel while simultaneously concealing a cream cheese surprise. Because everyone knows that a cream cheese surprise is the best kind of surprise!
Seriously, though, I big puffy heart coffee cake, and I adore cream cheese pastries above all others (if given a choice, I will always, always, always pick the cream cheese one). So why not combine these two loves into one delightful recipe that would be perfect for enjoying through the upcoming holiday season?
Get-togethers and gatherings, lazy weekend brunches, overnight houseguests, coffee after dinner...this Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping is prepared to meet all of these challenges and more! 😉
Now, this is a from-scratch recipe, so it does take a few minutes to put together the batter. However, the extra effort is worth it, because using real ingredients in lieu of a boxed mix makes all of the difference in the final coffee cake! In fact, one of my favorite parts of this recipe is the contrast of flavors and textures...moist (thank you, sour cream), sweet vanilla cake, a creamy, slightly tangy filling,and a crunchy, warmly spiced topping. Yep, a hot cup of coffee or tea and a tall glass of cold milk and you're all set!
So the next time you’re called upon to make a morning time treat — whether there’s a potluck brunch at the office or you’re hosting a playgroup at home — this Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping is sure to elicit oohs and ahhs…and it’s guaranteed to disappear in no time!
Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
For the Filling:
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the Streusel:
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled and diced
For the Cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- Position oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 350. Grease and flour a 9- by 13-inch baking pan.
- Prepare the filing by using an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese. Mix in the sugar, vanilla, and egg; beat until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Prepare the streusel by mixing the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a food processor until combined. Pulse in the chilled butter until the mixture is the texture of coarse sand. Alternatively, you may cut the ingredients together in a bowl using a fork or pastry blender.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the softened butter until smooth. Mix in the sugar and beat at high speed until light and fluffy. Blend in the eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla. Slowly mix in the flour mixture, alternating with the sour cream, until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Pour the cream cheese filling on top. Dollop the surface with the remaining cake batter, smoothing the batter over the top of the cream cheese filling. Then use a butter knife to gently swirl through the batter and filling.
- Evenly sprinkle the top of the cake with the streusel mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until no longer jiggly and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Place on a rack to cool; serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from Just Baked