Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is brimming with chicken, beans, & corn and topped with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, and grated cheddar, making it a warm, hearty, effortless crock pot meal that’s perfect for a chilly day!
I’ve got another crock pot wonder for y’all today! This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup was pulled from my most-frequently-made-for-the-longest-span-of-time recipe file. In other words, it’s an oldie but a goodie and well worth the hype of being one of our all-time family favorites.
There are a thousand variations of taco-seasoned soup out there, and they go by a variety of names, from Taco Soup to Enchilada Soup to Tortilla Soup. I went with the latter title for mine, even though i do not purport this to be authentic Mexican tortilla soup. But I do feel that the crushed tortilla chip garnish is crucial to this soup’s appeal…so there you have it. 😉
Speaking of which, all of the suggested garnishes elevate this soup from good to great. Stirring in a dollop of sour cream gives the broth a creamy decadence. The tortilla chips add texture and crunch, and the avocado lends cool contrast. As for the grated cheddar? Well, what soup couldn’t be improved upon by cheese?!
If you’re a regular Five Heart Home reader and this soup seems strangely familiar to you, that’s probably because it has a lot of ingredients in common with my Slow Cooker Chicken & Black Bean Tacos. Both are effortless and delicious, but in completely different ways. As with the taco recipe, this soup is flavored with my zesty Homemade Taco Seasoning. I sometimes substitute other beans, such as pintos, depending on what I have in my pantry.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is so straightforward to throw together, y’all. Just toss everything in the crock pot, shred the chicken shortly before serving, and dinner is done! It’s the perfect easy, hearty meal to enjoy all fall and winter long, and it’s particularly a winner if you have a crowd to feed. (Football watching party, anyone?) So serve it to rave reviews…just don’t forget those tasty toppings!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 medium to large chicken breasts
- 2 to 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28-ounces) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 can (15-ounces) black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can (15-ounces) kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can (4-ounces) diced green chiles
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 5 cups water or chicken broth/stock
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Grated cheddar
- Sliced avocado
- Lay chicken breasts in the bottom of a large (6-quart) slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Add minced garlic, diced tomatoes and juices, beans, green chiles, and frozen corn. Pour water/broth over top and give everything a stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken breasts, shred, and return to soup. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cook for 30 minutes to an hour or until heated through.
- Crush a handful of tortilla chips into the bottom of a bowl. Ladle soup over chips and top with a dollop of sour cream, a generous mound of grated cheddar, and a few slices of avocado.
More Warm & Hearty Soups
- Easy White Bean, Kale, & Sausage Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken & White Bean Chili
- Slow Cooker Corn & Potato Chowder with Ham
- Slow Cooker German Lentil Soup with Sausage