Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is brimming with chicken, beans, & corn and topped with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, and grated cheddar, making it a warm, hearty, effortless crock pot meal that's perfect for a chilly day!
I've got another crock pot wonder for y'all today! This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup was pulled from my most-frequently-made-for-the-longest-span-of-time recipe file. In other words, it's an oldie but a goodie and well worth the hype of being one of our all-time family favorites.
A Soup By Any Other Name...
There are a thousand variations of taco-seasoned soup out there, and they go by a variety of names, from Taco Soup to Enchilada Soup to Tortilla Soup.
I went with the latter title for mine, even though I do not purport this to be authentic Mexican tortilla soup. But I do feel that the crushed tortilla chip garnish is crucial to this soup's appeal. So there you have it. 😉
If you're a regular Five Heart Home reader and this soup seems strangely familiar to you, that's probably because it has a lot of ingredients in common with my Slow Cooker Chicken & Black Bean Tacos, such as chicken, beans, and corn. Both recipes are effortless and delicious, but in completely different ways.
As with that taco recipe, this soup is flavored with my zesty Homemade Taco Seasoning.
However, I do sometimes substitute other beans -- such as pintos -- depending on what I have in my pantry.
As for the suggested garnishes, all of them elevate this soup from good to GREAT!
- Stirring in a dollop of sour cream gives the broth a creamy decadence.
- The tortilla chips add texture and crunch.
- And the avocado lends cool contrast.
- As for the grated cheddar? Well, what soup couldn't be improved upon by cheese?!
How to Make It
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is ridiculously straightforward to throw together, y'all.
- Just toss everything in the crock pot.
- Shortly before serving, shred the chicken and add it back to the pot.
- Don't forget the tasty toppings!
And dinner is done!
This recipe the perfect easy, hearty meal to enjoy all fall and winter long, and it's particularly a winner if you have a crowd to feed. (Football watching party, anyone?)
So whip it up and serve it to rave reviews! Nobody every has to know how effortless it was to make. 😉
More Warm & Hearty Soups
- Easy White Bean, Kale, & Sausage Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken & White Bean Chili
- Slow Cooker Corn & Potato Chowder with Ham
- Slow Cooker German Lentil Soup with Sausage
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning, OR 1 package store-bought taco seasoning
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 5 cups water OR chicken broth/stock
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Grated cheddar
- Sliced avocado
- Lay chicken breasts in the bottom of a large (6-quart) slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Add minced garlic, diced tomatoes and juices, beans, green chiles, and frozen corn. Pour water/broth over top and give everything a stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken breasts, shred, and return to soup. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cook for 30 minutes to an hour or until heated through.
- Crush a handful of tortilla chips into the bottom of a bowl. Ladle soup over chips and top with a dollop of sour cream, a generous mound of grated cheddar, and a few slices of avocado.