Sparkling Apple Cider Sangria is a festive fall cocktail of white wine, apple cider, and sweet sliced Honeycrisps, perfect for Halloween, Thanksgiving and more!
Well, we kicked off the week with homemade pumpkin spice lattes and we’re closing it out with an entirely different type of drink…crisp, refreshing, Sparkling Apple Cider Sangria! I’m telling y’all, this is THE bubbly, celebratory cocktail for all of your fall parties and get-togethers, whether that means a tailgating party or a Halloween shin-dig or a Thanksgiving happy hour…or maybe just because you’re in the mood for a yummy adult beverage to toast a brisk, autumn weekend.?
This drink screams FALL by the way it tastes and the way it looks. Because apples, obviously. But also, just look at those warm, gorgeous colors…red-skinned, green-tinged apples with buttery yellow flesh swimming in a golden liquid. Almost too pretty to drink!
But the true beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity. It’s sweet, it’s refreshing, it’s bubbly, and it’s made with just three ingredients, friends! Furthermore, you can customize those ingredients to your liking.
1. White Wine ~ You can either choose a dry, crisp, not oak-y white wine, or something a little bit sweeter. Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling (dry or sweet), or even Moscato (if you’re going for really sweet) would all be good choices. I used an Off-Dry Johannisberg Riesling, which I would consider moderately sweet, as far as Rieslings go.
2. Sparkling Apple Cider ~ Pay attention to whether or not your sparkling apple cider has added sugar. Mine did not, which is part of the reason I went with a sweeter white wine.
3. Thinly-Sliced Honeycrisp Apples ~ You don’t actually have to use honeycrisps here, but they’re my favorite. I love how they’re crisp, simultaneously sweet and tart, and once sliced, they don’t darken as readily as other types of apples.
There are plentiful variations to this recipe, of course. Use one red apple and one green apple for extra color. Or swap out one of the apples for a pear. Reverse the source of the bubbles by using sparkling wine (Prosecco or champagne) with regular apple cider. Or you can even use hard apple cider (AKA, the fermented stuff with alcohol) instead of regular apple cider for more potent sangria.
Additionally, you can make this Sparkling Apple Cider Sangria extra festive for specific holidays with some fun floaters and/or garnishes. Add cinnamon sticks to your sangria and rim the edges of your glasses with cinnamon-sugar. Or float fresh cranberries in your sangria to carry this cocktail recipe from Thanksgiving all the way to Christmas!
So who’s excited about all things autumn? And about all of those fun, family- and friend-oriented holidays coming up? This Sparkling Apple Cider Sangria is the perfect adult beverage for all of your favorite fall festivities. It’s a delicious and refreshing cocktail that’s a snap to make while paying homage to the one of the best things about the season…apples! And as a bonus, those floating Honeycrisp slices sure are pretty. Enjoy, y’all!
Helpful Tips, Tricks, & Equipment
(some affiliate links below)
- Whatever type of apple you decide to use, I recommend slicing them into a gallon-sized plastic baggie and shaking them with a big squeeze of fresh lemon juice to keep them from starting to brown as you assemble your Sparkling Apple Cider Sangria. The lemon juice will also add a slight punch of acidity to the sangria. That being said, lemon juice is not necessary as long as you quickly submerge your apple slices in the sangria.
- I love this recipe for parties because you can make a big batch in a pitcher — or an even bigger batch in one of those jumbo clear glass beverage dispensers with a spigot. The apples (and other potential add-ins) look nice and pretty floating in there, and the sangria pours right out.
♥More yummy apple recipes…