All Hallows’ Eve is right around the corner. What say we make some cute and delicious Spider Cupcakes for Halloween to celebrate?
Aren’t these Halloween-friendly cupcakes darling??? I do enjoy whipping up seasonal treats with my kids, but nothing too fussy or complicated, thankyouverymuch. These cuties fit the bill just perfectly. Simple chocolate cupcakes are turned into endearing spiders with the addition of some candy eyeballs, licorice legs, and mini chocolate chips…AKA, Spider Cupcakes!
I realize that endearing and spider are pretty much oxymorons, but there is nothing scary or creepy about these arachnids. In fact, I tend to think they’re downright adorable, at least as far as spiders go.
I found the inspiration for this idea over at Parents.com and adapted it to my available ingredients. Feel free to do the same! I’ll be sharing here my tried and true chocolate cupcake recipe another day, but in the meantime, just use your favorite chocolate cupcakes and frosting, whether they’re the box mix/tub variety or from scratch.
I opted to dip my frosted cupcakes in mini chocolate chips for some texture, but you could use sprinkles instead or even just leave your frosting plain. And I had a bag of candy eyeballs just longing to be put to work, but if you don’t have any or can’t find any, feel free to use a mini marshmallow with the flat side of a chocolate chip stuck in the center for the pupil.
Finally, thin licorice laces would make great legs, but all I could find at Target were regular black licorice ropes. I could have persevered in my search at a few more stores, but the fact that I have to unbuckle and unload three children each time we make an errand-running stop means that I usually make due with what I can find at our original destination. So, in lieu of licorice laces, I just cut some long strips from each rope of licorice and then cut those in half for my spider legs. Easy peasy.
And there you have it! Spider Cupcakes that are so cute and yummy, they just might cure a case of arachnophobia. Make a batch with your kids this weekend, or whip some up for that potluck Halloween party to which you’ve been invited. They’ll be a hit either way…I pinky swear it!
Spider Cupcakes Recipe
Spider Cupcakes for Halloween
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Chocolate frosting
- Candy eyeballs
- Mini chocolate chips or chocolate sprinkles
- Black licorice laces or black licorice rope twists, cut into strips
- For each spider, frost a cupcake and press two candy eyeballs into the frosting.
- Pour mini chocolate chips (or sprinkles) in a bowl and press the frosted side of the cupcake into the chocolate chips until evenly covered, adjusting chocolate chips around the eyeballs as necessary.
- Cut licorice laces or rope pieces in half. Use a toothpick to poke leg holes in the cupcake and then to guide each of the eight legs into place. Refrigerate before serving to help everything set.
More Holiday Fun
- Pretzel Candy Spiderwebs
- Easter Bark
- Christmas Tree Brownie Pops
- Valentine’s (Heart-Shaped) Fruit Pizza