Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet

A purée of fresh or frozen blueberries is blended with buttermilk, sugar, and vanilla for a sweet and creamy sherbet that makes a refreshing summer treat!

Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet ~ four simple ingredients combine in this sweet and creamy frozen treat | FiveHeartHome.com

Well, I’m probably going to jinx us by even talking about it, but so far, Texas has been experiencing a relatively mild summer. As in, the projected temps this week are in the high 80s/low 90s! Yes, it’s humid, and yes, we had a fun little summer thunderstorm last week that wreaked a bit of havoc. But y’all. It usually hits 100°+ by May, and we’re typically hanging out around 105° by now. So to still be in the 80s here is unheard of. And I am totally not complaining.

So that being said, weather-wise, I feel like it’s still spring! Surely it can’t be ice cream season yet? But yes, yes it is, and that is just fine by me. Because that means (as I do every summer) it’s time to whip up a batch (or three) of this cool, creamy Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet!

What’s that you say? You’ve never heard of homemade buttermilk sherbet? Well, let me just tell you that it is divine. Not only is this frozen treat easy to make, seeing as how it only requires four basic ingredients and a minimal number of steps, but the combination of berries and buttermilk is just so darn tasty. A sweetened blueberry puree (you can use fresh or frozen berries) is kissed with pure vanilla extract and blended with buttermilk. The final result is coined sherbet since it’s fruity and milk-based at the same time. But because that creaminess comes from buttermilk instead of cream, the sherbet has an underlying tang, almost like that which you taste in frozen yogurt. It’s a little bit different and a whole lot addictive.

One of my sweet teacher friends (hi, Carolyn!) shared this recipe with me many moons ago when we taught first grade together. She’s an excellent cook, so if she raved about a recipe, you knew to pay attention. Sure enough, this recipe (which she originally found in a Southern Living magazine) is a winner, and I’ve made it religiously every summer since first receiving it.

You know how, oftentimes, homemade ice cream gets rock hard after a stint in the freezer? Well, this buttermilk sherbet firms up but stays nicely scoop-able. Also, it’s fun to deviate from the original recipe by substituting other fruits for the blueberries. I’ve made raspberry and strawberry variations as well, and it’s hard to pick a favorite!

So whether your summer temperatures are mild or soaring, any day in June (or heck, any day of the year) is a good day for ice cream! And the next time you’re in the mood to make your own ice cream, churn up this Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet instead. It’s quick and easy to prep, it will dazzle you with its gorgeous color (that’s a Carolyn word), and its sweet-tangy flavor and silky texture are guaranteed to keep you coming back for more!

Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet

Yield: Approximately 1 quart

Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet

• 3 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen, thawed)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups buttermilk (regular or low-fat)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. In a blender or food processor, purée blueberries until smooth. Set a fine mesh stainer over a large bowl and pour in purée, pressing down with the back of a spoon until only solids remain. Discard solids. Blend sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla into strained blueberry purée.
  2. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker (at least 1 1/2 quart capacity) and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer ice cream to a pan, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for at least two hours before serving.

Adapted from Southern Living.

More refreshing summer treats

(Click title below photo to be taken to recipe)

Double Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream ~ a delicious treat that can be made dairy-free | FiveHeartHome.comDouble Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

Red, White and Blue Watermelon Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette ~ a fruity summertime salad to celebrate the Fourth of July | FiveHeartHome.comRed, White, & Blue Watermelon Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette

Dye-Free Fruit Juice Snow Cones ~ all natural, no food coloring | {Five Heart Home}Dye-Free Fruit Juice Snow Cones

Frozen Orange Creamsicle Pie with a Pretzel Crust | FiveHeartHome.comFrozen Orange Creamsicle Pie with a Pretzel Crust

Tortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, and Fresh Corn ~ a perfect summer side dish or light supper! | FiveHeartHome.comTortellini Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, & Fresh Corn

Homemade Strawberry Syrup for Strawberry Soda ~ easy, 3-ingredient syrup can also be used in cocktails or drizzled over ice cream, pound cake, waffles, etc. | FiveHeartHome.comHomemade Strawberry Syrup {for} Strawberry Soda {and more!}

…and see all of our recipes << HERE!

Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram

This pos
t may be linked up to House of Rose, 4 Little Fergusons, and these fabulous parties!

Comments

This sherbet sounds delicious! I have a new ice cream maker that’s just waiting for action , too! Since you’ve tried other fruits, wonder how peach would be??
    Thanks Sam, and have a great day!

You read my mind, Deb! I have not tried it with peaches yet, but it’s on my list for this summer! I think this sherbet is adaptable to pretty much any fruit…although it’s possible that the amount of sugar may need to be tweaked accordingly, depending on how sweet or tart the fruit is. Have fun experimenting, and as always, thanks for stopping by!

2. I’ve been wanting to make buttermilk ice cream for ages and it needs to happen! The blueberries and buttermilk sound like a great combination and the sherbert looks so creamy!

Thanks, Marcie! The creamy texture is one of my favorite things about using buttermilk. And it’s so easy to make! You should definitely give it a try soon. :)

3. Oh my heavens. I love sherbet – it’s my boys and my favorite ice cream. I have to make this! I just need to buy an ice cream maker, lol! What kind do you use?

I love sherbet, too, Jen…you just can’t beat something that’s fruity and creamy! And the ice creamer maker I have works great, is easy to use, and doesn’t take up too much space in the cabinet. Mine is a Cuisinart ICE-20, but it looks like a newer model has come out since then: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KYSLMW/ Happy sherbet making! ;)

4. This almost looks too good to eat! Love the flavors and the pictures show the incredible texture. Need this!

Thanks so much, Matt! Somehow I find a way to eat it despite how pretty it looks – ha! ;)

5. Beautiful pictures! I have made a strawberry buttermilk sherbert before and it was delicious! I bet this one is too!

Thank you, Kathy! I totally agree that Strawberry Buttermilk Sherbet is very tasty as well. Something about that buttermilk with any type of berry…yum! Hope you have a chance to try this version, too! :)

6. This looks amazing Samantha! Your pictures are beautiful as well! I can’t wait to try this recipe. Yum!

That means a lot, Shannon! I find photographing frozen treats to be very challenging…probably because I typically get interrupted by kids and everything starts melting! ;) Hope you enjoy this when you try it!

7. That is a stunning sherbet Samantha, fantastic job!

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

8. OMG, this looks delicious! I have got to start making some fun summer treats for the kids! Can you and my sister just move here and feed me while I finish my kitchen! ; ) Bring HEB with you please!

Ha, Ashley…I would happily cook a whole HEB’s worth of meals for you if I could! You will have to get your fill of the best grocery store EVER when you are in Texas this summer. ;) Hope the kitchen remodel is going well…everything looks fabulous in your sneak peeks!

9. Blueberry sounds delish.

It’s a little bit different, isn’t it, Madonna? But I think that’s what makes this recipe so good. ;)

10. Blueberries are everywhere. It is amazing to me what a tang buttermilk adds to recipes. Perfect color for the 4th. Other fruit would work. But come on, how many times does one have a chance at blueberry sherbet.

Isn’t the color gorgeous, Carol? This is such a different use for blueberries, which is why I think I love it so much. :)

11. Yum! This looks incredible! What amazing colour – bet it would taste amazing!

Thank you, Jessica! This sherbet is certainly very tasty…I hope you have a chance to try it. :) Thanks for stopping by!

12. That looks absolutely divine! I can’t wait to try it!

13. Looks delicious! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

14. Could you use whole milk instead of buttermilk?

Hi, Juie! I haven’t tried making this recipe with whole milk instead of buttermilk, so I can’t say for sure. But I don’t see why it wouldn’t work? If you give it a try, please come back and let us know how it turns out!

15. Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream’s City of Links on Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

16. This looks pretty amazing. I do not have a blender set up just yet so I wont be able to try it but when I finally get around to setting it up this is on my list!

Thanks so much, Shae! I think you’ll find this sherbet to be worth the wait for your blender… ;) Hope you enjoy and I appreciate you stopping by!

1. […] Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet via Five Heart Home […]