Egg Salad with Bacon & Blue Cheese makes a flavorful filling for sandwiches or lettuce wraps and is a great recipe for using up leftover hard-boiled eggs!
It’s about that time of year when many of us find ourselves with an overabundance of leftover hard-boiled Easter eggs. I mean, who doesn’t love lowering fragile eggs into receptacles of questionable dye with the assistance of jellybean-fueled kiddos?
So when leftover hard-boiled eggs abound, classic egg salad is an obvious choice for using them up. But what if that regular ol’ egg salad was elevated to something extra-special with the addition of crispy, salty bacon and bold, creamy blue cheese?
Egg Salad with a Bonus
That pretty much sums up today’s Egg Salad with Bacon recipe. It’s as straightforward as it sounds but unbelievably delicious. After all, what’s a more natural pairing than bacon and eggs? Mmmm…BACON!
For an even greater flavor boost, I decided to fold in some crumbles of blue cheese. Since blue cheese is so powerful, it didn’t take much…but if you’re a fan, you could certainly add more. The amount indicated in the recipe was just enough to give the recipe a blue cheese undertone without overpowering all of the other flavors. Even my kids (well, two out of three) loved this egg salad, and I don’t think I’d be able to say that about every recipe containing blue cheese.
Mayo or Greek Yogurt?
I typically make my egg salad with a combo of mayonnaise and Greek yogurt, to maintain the traditional flavor and creaminess (thank you, mayo) while adding extra protein and lightening things up a bit (thank you, Greek yogurt). That approach works beautifully with this recipe as well. Of course, if you choose to adjust the ratios — or use all mayonnaise or all Greek yogurt — that would work, too.
Egg Salad with Bacon & Blue Cheese would be scrumptious as a filling for buttery croissants, pillowy rolls, regular sandwich bread, or even lettuce wraps. Or you could serve it atop crackers or a bed of salad greens instead. Or heck, eat it straight from the bowl with a spoon! I won’t judge.
So keep this recipe handy for post-Easter, leftover egg utilization…or simply to stave off your next egg salad craving. The hard-boiled eggs are a-comin’! And with a little bacon and blue cheese, you’ll be ready.
Egg Salad with Bacon
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek OR regular yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, chilled and diced
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and diced
- 2 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- In the bottom of a large bowl, prepare dressing by whisking together yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir in diced eggs, then fold in bacon and blue cheese. Taste and, if desired, season with additional salt and pepper. Serve on sandwiches, crackers, or a bed of lettuce.
- If you prefer, you may make this egg salad using all mayonnaise or all yogurt instead of a combo of the two. Using only yogurt may require a tad more salt and/or apple cider vinegar.
- Feel free to add additional blue cheese for a stronger flavor.
More Ideas for Eggs
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Bacon, Potato, & Cheese Mini Frittatas
- Ground Beef, Egg, & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Easter Egg Pretzel Chocolate Swirl Bark