Soft and chewy Snickerdoodle Bars are as effortless as spreading batter into a pan and showering with cinnamon and sugar...half the work of the popular cookies with the same yummy flavor and texture!
What say we wrap up the week with Snickerdoodles? And, specifically, a recipe for Snickerdoodle Bars, meaning a batch of drool-worthy cookies can be yours with no scooping or rolling dough required!
I don't know what it is about the humble combination of cinnamon and sugar that makes Snickerdoodle-esque treats so popular. Actually, yes...yes, I do. SNICKERDOODLE TREATS ARE DELICIOUS. Brown Buttter Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn is one of my family's favorite movie-watching snacks. And my Snickerdoodle Mug Cake is one of the most popular recipes on the site, for good reason...it tastes freaking amazing and can be fork-to-mouth in just a few short of minutes!
So I figure it's high time I add these moist, yummy Chewy Snickerdoodle Bars to the repertoire. Heck, maybe one day I'll even add regular ol' Snickerdoodle Cookies to the site! What can I say...I like to work backwards.
Back to these Snickerdoodle Bars, though. They are so good and so easy, y'all! Making Snickerdoodles in cookie form can be rather time-consuming, since each cookie has to be scooped and rolled in cinnamon sugar. But these brilliant bars? Simply mix up the batter, spread it into a pan (since it's too thick to pour), sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (a heavy hand is encouraged), bake, and slice! Not quite as fast to make as that mug cake, mind you, but this recipe produces enough to share with 20 or so of your closest friends, so I'd consider that a good trade.
And the bars? Moist and chewy centers with a crunchy veneer of cinnamon sugar. Sweet but nicely spiced and with a slight tang from cream of tartar in the batter. In other words? Snickerdoodlicious!
Before I feel compelled to make up any additional submissions for urban dictionary consideration, I'll let you get on to the recipe. Just promise me one thing, m'kay? The next time you want/need to bake a sweet treat for your family/neighbors/teachers/self, don't miss the chance make this recipe! Because that, my friends, would be a snickerdoodletastrophe. 😉
More Breezy Bar Cookies
Chewy Snickerdoodle Bars
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Grease a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with butter (or spray with cooking spray); set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to stir butter until creamy. Blend in sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, and vanilla, and blend until smooth.
- Mix in the flour mixture until well combined. Spread in an even layer in the prepared pan. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into 20 bars.
Adapted from Food.com