Thick, chewy, big-batch M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are simple to make, fun to share, easy to customize with different colored M&Ms, and always a huge hit!
Well, I had grand plans to make y’all a berry slab pie decorated like an American flag just in time for Independence Day. Alas, two attempts and several pounds of berries later, my recipe turned out to be a flop…delicious yet falling apart. Le sigh. So since I wanted to share a little red, white, & blue with you before the 4th — and since berry slab pie was clearly not in the cards this year — I decided to go with an old standby, tried-and-true favorite that I knew wouldn’t flop…M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars!
This recipe makes a huge sheet pan with very little effort required. The resulting thick, dense, chewy bars are guaranteed to disappear in a flash wherever you take them…because, let’s face it, who doesn’t love a hybrid of a chocolate chip cookie? And as a bonus, the colorful M&Ms make it possible to customize this dessert to any holiday, from red, white, & blue for the Fourth of July…to red & green for Christmas…to red, pink & white for Valentine’s Day. If M&Ms are being marketed for a holiday, by golly, these bars will be ready for your celebration!
Of course, M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are great any time of year, for any occasion, using regular ol’ multi-colored M&Ms. Or leave out the M&Ms altogether and swap in peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips or additional semisweet chocolate chips instead. It’s hard to go wrong when you start with a classic!
This is one of my favorite recipes to fall back on when I want to make a big batch of thank-you-treats for teachers or local fire fighters, way-to-go-treats for my kids’ sports teams, or just-because-treats for neighbors or friends. Spreading the cookie dough in a pan is way faster than baking sheet after sheet of individual chocolate chip cookies. In that respect, this recipe is reminiscent of my One-Bowl, Big-Batch Monster Cookie Bars except without any peanut butter, which makes these treats easier to share without worrying about potential nut allergies.
So if you need a last-minute, festive, patriotic treat to take to an upcoming July 4th shindig, these M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are the way to go! They’re a cinch to make and they’ll disappear in a flash. And hopefully they’ll tide over any of your red-white-and-blue dessert needs until next summer, when I promise to perfect that American flag berry slab pie… 😉
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Recipe
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, melted & cooled until warm
- 2 cups lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups M&Ms, DIVIDED
- Position the rack in the center position of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously butter an 18x13x1-inch rimmed half sheet pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Blend in the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla and beat until well combined. With the mixer on low speed, slowly and gradually add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and half of the M&Ms.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan, pressing down and smoothing the top into an even layer. Sprinkle with the remaining M&Ms and lightly press them into the surface. Bake for 18 to 23 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown and the center is set. Allow to cool in the baking pan before slicing and serving.
Adapted from Baking Illustrated (*affiliate link)
More Red, White, & Blue Recipes
- Patriotic Stuffed Strawberries
- Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Muffins
- Chicken Berry Pasta Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Red, White, & Blue Watermelon Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette