This lightened-up Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce recipe comes together in a few minutes with only five ingredients, including healthy Greek yogurt and no mayo!
Like all stereotypical American kids, my brood loves chicken nuggets. And I oblige them at least every other week by making one of the easy, homemade, baked chicken nugget recipes in my repertoire, which lately has been this one (on repeat) because it’s just SO darn easy (and tasty!).
But where there are chicken nuggets, my kiddos request honey mustard. So any time nuggets are on the menu, I ask one of my boys to stir together a batch of this Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce. That’s right…it’s literally simple enough for a child to make, with a healthy base of protein-packed Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. And the resulting sauce is nugget-dippin’, finger-lickin’ good!
This is a recipe I actually shared a couple years back, buried in a post for one of those aforementioned chicken nugget recipes. But we love it so much and make it so often that I decided it deserves its own new and shiny post, front and center for all to see! After all, it would be a shame for y’all to miss out on such simplicity and deliciousness.
In addition to Greek yogurt, this recipe calls for both prepared yellow mustard and Dijon mustard. You could totally choose to use one or the other if you have a preference (or if you don’t have both varieties on hand), but I think using both results in a more balanced flavor for the sauce.
And then, of course, there’s honey.
And finally, a pinch of salt.
Measure it out, stir until smooth, and pop in the fridge to chill and thicken until it’s time to eat. Lightened-up. Effortless. Yummy.
This Healthy Honey Mustard Sauce is the perfect combo of zesty and sweet. And much like my Lightened-Up Honey Mustard Salad Dressing (also made with Greek yogurt), it’s not heavy or cloying. I’m telling you, my kids pick this stuff over ketchup every single time!
So do you live in a house full of chicken nugget lovers? Are you a fan of honey mustard? Do you ever replace the mayo in recipes with Greek yogurt? What is the meaning of life? (Sorry…just making sure you’re paying attention here.?) At any rate, I hope you have a chance to treat your family to a batch of homemade chicken nuggets with Healthy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce soon. They’ll think you hung the moon!
Helpful Tips, Tricks, & Equipment
(some affiliate links below)
- Greek yogurt can be kind of lumpy, so I find that vigorously whisking (with a small whisk) in a slightly larger-than-necessary bowl (to avoid spillage) makes for the smoothest sauce.
- This recipe will work with whole milk or fat-free Greek yogurt.
- In case you’re wondering why my salt looks pink in the photo up above, this is the sea salt I use and I’m obsessed with it.
- And if you’ll notice the chicken nugget in the photo at the very top of this post, it was actually made using my Homemade Shake ‘n Bake method, except breaded with half breadcrumbs and half quinoa flakes (this is the kind I buy but I find mine at Whole Foods). Yes, I’m one of those sneaky moms who derives great joy in making my kids’ food healthier without them even realizing it. 😉
- Leftover honey mustard sauce keeps in the fridge for up to a couple of weeks (as long as there was no contamination from double dipping). Just stir before serving.
♥More homemade condiments…
See all BREAKFAST RECIPES <<< here!