Homemade Whole Wheat Waffle Mix is an economical pantry staple for whipping up fluffy, all-natural, 100% whole wheat waffles!
The other day, you may have noticed that my glossy Blueberry Compote was showcased by some gorgeous, golden waffles. So today I’ve got a little question for y’all…if you had to choose one, do you prefer pancakes or waffles?
I have to say that I’m torn. I adore pancakes, but I love that waffles are so much quicker to make. Just a few batches of batter to the ol’ waffle iron and DONE!
Since I’ve already brought you a pancake mix, it only makes sense that I now share its waffle cousin. Just like my Homemade Whole Wheat Pancake Mix, this Homemade Whole Wheat Waffle Mix starts with whole wheat pastry flour, which renders the resulting waffles 100% whole wheat but gives them a lighter taste and texture than would be achieved by using regular whole wheat flour. To the flour you add the remaining dry ingredients…namely, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. Whisk it all together…and that’s it! You now have a big tub of all-natural waffle mix that brags the convenience of store-bought but for a fraction of the price and without the preservatives!
This waffle mix is easy enough to use on a busy morning for quick, homemade, whole wheat waffles. While the waffle iron heats, simply combine some of the mix with buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla and it’s time to get cooking! Now, if you have extra time and don’t mind dirtying up an extra bowl, you may certainly add the egg yolks to the batter while separately beating the egg whites into soft peaks. At this point, you carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the waffle batter for extra-fluffy waffles.
But can I be honest here? I typically skip that step and nobody is ever the wiser. I figure that if I’m saving time by using my homemade waffle mix in the first place, I don’t really want to add time by beating the egg whites separately. 😉 I just toss in the whole eggs and mix everything at the same time. As long as you’re careful not to over-mix your batter (never over-mix your batter!), your waffles will still turn out light and fluffy.
That’s it, friends…easy-peasy whole wheat waffles (that are actually light in flavor and texture, unlike some whole wheat waffles), thanks to a handy dandy homemade waffle mix! I can’t tell you how convenient it is to keep a tub of this mix in the pantry for a speedy breakfast or brinner. Sometimes I even make a double-batch so that we can enjoy some waffles right away and refrigerate the rest for easily reheat-able breakfasts all week long.
If you haven’t yet discovered the wonder of homemade pantry mixes, scroll past the recipe in a moment for some of my favorites! I’m gradually adding these staple recipes to Five Heart Home, and I have plenty more a-comin’. I can’t tell you how much I love these recipes for allowing me to avoid the icky ingredients prevalent in store-bought mixes while saving me precious time making straightforward, yet from-scratch, meals.
So did you decide on your preference…pancakes or waffles? I’m still thinking…so I still answer both. 😉
Homemade Whole Wheat Waffle Mix Recipe
Homemade Whole Wheat Waffle Mix
- FOR THE WAFFLE MIX:
- 9 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- TO MAKE A BATCH OF WAFFLES:
- 2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Waffle Mix
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, optional
- TO MAKE WAFFLE MIX:
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat pastry flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt until very well combined. Store in an airtight container.
- TO USE WAFFLE MIX:
- Preheat waffle iron. Measure 2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Waffle Mix into a large bowl. Stir in buttermilk and eggs and mix until just combined. Stir in melted butter and vanilla until all ingredients are incorporated, but do not over-mix (a few lumps are fine).
- Cook the waffles according to your waffle iron's directions. Serve waffles immediately or keep warm by placing directly on the oven rack (in a single layer) in an oven that's been heated to 200°F and then turned off.
To download Waffle Mix Labels <<< click here!
* * * * * * * * * *
Homemade Mixes & More
- Homemade Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
- Homemade Cornbread Mix
- Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- Homemade Italian Breadcrumbs