Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup with Pepper Jack & Bacon is a creamy, silky recipe that balances healthy, vitamin-packed cauliflower with zesty cheese and decadent bacon…and using frozen cauliflower, it couldn’t be any simpler to make!
Welp, it actually feels like winter once again here in Texas…albeit only for a few days before it hits the 70s again. 😛 But my understanding that other parts of the country are currently getting bombarded with snow! So while the temperatures are nice and chilly, how about taking full advantage by making a big crock pot full of soup…because what better way to warm up?!
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup with Pepper Jack and Bacon is pretty much exactly what it says. It’s as easy as tossing frozen cauliflower florets into the slow cooker along with some broth and seasonings. You may certainly start with fresh cauliflower, but I like the simplicity and convenience of frozen…and since I always have a couple of bags in the freezer, I can whip up this yummy, easy soup anytime!
After the cauliflower has cooked until tender, the real fun begins thanks to one of my favorite kitchen appliances EVER…my trusty immersion blender!(*affiliate link) This inexpensive little gadget is worth its weight in gold, as it effortlessly purees a soup like this to silky perfection. But no worries if you don’t have an immersion blender…you can absolutely achieve a smooth soup by transferring it in batches to a blender or food processor.
Once your soup is creamy with no chunks of cauliflower remaining, stir in a cup of half-and-half (or whole milk, if you prefer). And then, to add zip to the mild-flavored cauliflower, stir in a few handfuls of pepper jack cheese until melted. If you don’t care for pepper jack, you may certainly substitute mild Monterrey Jack or even sharp cheddar, but I enjoy the kick that pepper jack lends this soup. Finally, garnish your bowl with crispy, salty, GLORIOUS diced bacon. And by “garnish,” of course, I mean pile it on!
Before I share the recipe, I’m going to let y’all in on one last little secret. If you think your family might balk at an all-cauliflower soup, you can swap out half of the cauliflower for peeled, cubed potatoes. Once pureed together, the cauliflower flavor will be less noticeable and, with a little cheese and bacon, unsuspecting picky eaters probably won’t even detect that it’s there! Just be sure to hide the frozen cauliflower bags at the bottom of the trash can so you don’t get busted…not that I’ve ever been so careless.
So who’s ready for a cozy, creamy soup that’s loaded with vitamins but also loads o’ fun to eat (because have I mentioned BACON)? Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup with Pepper Jack and Bacon makes a warm, delicious lunch or dinner any time of year, but particularly when there’s a chill in the air. It’s so easy to make that it hardly counts as cooking, and therein lies the beauty of the slow cooker. Hope y’all enjoy adding this recipe to your crock pot arsenal!
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup with Pepper Jack & Bacon Recipe
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup with Pepper Jack & Bacon
- 3 pounds frozen, or fresh cauliflower florets
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 cups) shredded pepper jack cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces bacon, cooked until crispy and diced
- Place cauliflower florets in a large, oval slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Pour chicken broth over the top. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on LOW (or 3 to 4 hours on HIGH), until cauliflower is very tender when pierced with a fork (but not brown and overdone).
- Using an immersion blender, purée cauliflower pieces until smooth and creamy. Stir in half-and-half and shredded cheese (if soup is too thick for your preference at this point, you may add a bit more half-and-half or broth). Add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 more minutes or until heated through. Serve warm, topped with bacon and, if desired, extra cheese and sliced fresh jalapeños.
- You may use vegetable stock if you like. You may also replace the half-and-half with additional stock, if you prefer. The type of stock or broth you use is going to dictate if you need to add additional salt at the end or not.
- For the dairy, you can use 2%, whole milk, half-and-half, heavy cream...it's up to you! But obviously, the fattier the milk product you use, the richer and creamier the final soup is going to be.
- You may swap out the pepper jack cheese for Monterrey jack, sharp cheddar, or whatever your favorite may be.
- If you don't have an immersion blender, you may purée this soup in batches using a food processor or blender. Just allow it to cool down a bit before doing so, work with small batches at a time (don't fill your blender more than half way!), and leave the top of the blender cracked (holding it in place with an oven mitt or folded kitchen towel) so that steam can escape and soup doesn't explode everywhere!
Recipe originally shared at Yellow Bliss Road
More Slow Cooker Soups
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Soup
- The BEST Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup