This creamy, dreamy Sunshine Smoothie is loaded with citrus and tropical fruit, providing just the boost of vitamin C you need to battle winter bugs and winter blues!
Across much of the country, chilly temps and even snow are very much a part of the weather forecast right about now. And so I have finally decided that if sunny weather's not in any hurry to come to me...why, I'll just summon it up on my own accord. So say hello to my bright and cheerful Sunshine Smoothie!
It's brimming with fresh orange segments and orange juice.
It's loaded with tropical pineapple and mango.
It brags a bit of banana to make it sweet and velvety.
And it's got a touch of milk and yogurt to give it that creamy Orange Julius quality.
How to Make It
I always keep bags of frozen fruit stocked in my freezer for anytime smoothie-making, and pineapple and mango are two varieties that I like to have on hand. I also make it a habit to freeze over-ripe bananas for fabulous future smoothie additions.
So to make this Sunshine Smoothie:
- I just tossed the aforementioned frozen ingredients into the blender along with a peeled orange, some OJ, a dollop of Greek yogurt, and a splash of coconut milk (to play up the whole tropical theme...although you could certainly sub regular milk, almond milk, or whatever your favorite happens to be).
- Whiz it all up in the blender until smooth and creamy.
- Taste, and then -- if a bit more sweetness is required -- add a squeeze of honey and blend again.
The result is a thick, luxurious smoothie flavored with bright bursts of citrus and tropical fruit. Additionally, since oranges, pineapple, and mangoes are all high in vitamin C, this is a great breakfast or snack to keep colds and flu at bay...or to boost your immune system if you're already fighting off some sort of yuck.
My 2-year-old daughter has been on a straight strawberry smoothie kick for a good while now, and the rest of us have been alternating our favorite Peach Cobbler or Blueberry Muffin Smoothies with classic Green Smoothies. But I have to say that these Sunshine Smoothies have quickly become a new family favorite! The toddler guzzled hers down and my boys were not only excited to try something new, but they raved about it when they did. Yup...suffice it to say we've got a brand new, vitamin-packed smoothie to enthusiastically add to the rotation!
So are you having a hard time adjusting to the time change? Have you been staying well or succumbing to winter crud? And are you as READY as I am for sunshine and warmer weather???!!! Regardless of how you answered that little quiz, rest assured that a nice, tall Sunshine Smoothie will cure whatever happens to ail ya... 😉
More Sunny Recipes
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 1 banana, cut into chunks and frozen
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt, or plain regular yogurt
- ¼ cup almond milk, or your preferred type of milk
- ½ to 1 cup orange juice
- Squeeze of honey, to taste
- Place fruit in blender. Add yogurt, coconut milk, and ½ cup orange juice on top. Start blender and, if necessary, add a bit more orange juice to get things going (or for a thinner consistency). Blend for a few minutes, until completely smooth. Taste and, if desired, add a squeeze of honey. Blend for 1 minute more. Serve immediately.