30-Minute Skillet Lasagna

Savory, cheesy lasagna cooks up in a skillet in 30 minutes in this easy, delicious, stovetop variation!

30-Minute Skillet Lasagna ~ quick and easy, savory and cheesy, one pot, stovetop dinner | FiveHeartHome.com Well, the school year grind has officially begun. No more sleeping past the crack of dawn. No more leisurely, schedule-free days. No more making lunches at, you know, lunchtime. And no more waiting until five minutes before 5:00 p.m. to start thinking about dinner. Because the cold hard truth is that if I don’t have an organized meal plan during the school year, odds are higher than average that I’ll be serving last-minute frozen pizza for supper.

For me, however, meal planning is not a set-in-stone process. Rather, when I’m composing my grocery list, I write down a selection of dinners that I’d like to make over the next couple of weeks and buy the ingredients accordingly. But I’m not all, “We’re going to have meatloaf on Monday, and tacos on Tuesday…” because at the last minute, Monday might end up being a day that we have lots of leftovers from the weekend to eat up, and our schedule on Tuesday might require a crock pot meal.

Instead, I make a loose plan to cook something like this 30-Minute Skillet Lasagna one upcoming evening when I have — you guessed it! — around 30 minutes to prep dinner. And boy is my family excited when that golden opportunity comes along!

30-Minute Skillet Lasagna ~ quick and easy, savory and cheesy, one pot, stovetop dinner | FiveHeartHome.com So if you’ve never made it, Skillet Lasagna boasts all of the flavor and cheesy goodness of regular lasagna without all of the layering and the lengthy baking time. Instead, you combine the ingredients in a skillet and quickly cook them using a method that can only be described as Hamburger Helper-esque. The difference is that there are no artificial ingredients here! Just ground beef, tomato sauce, herbs and spices, pasta, and plenty of cheese (mozzarella, ricotta, and Parmesan). Now tell me…who could argue with that?!

Not only is this stovetop lasagna a perfect meal for busy weeknights, but it’s so tasty (and yummy-looking) that you could happily serve it to dinner guests. It also makes a great, quick and easy, yet universally appealing meal to deliver to a friend, neighbor, or family member.

30-Minute Skillet Lasagna ~ quick and easy, savory and cheesy, one pot, stovetop dinner | FiveHeartHome.com Now before we get to the recipe, I have to be totally honest about something. It might take you slightly longer than 30 minutes to make this lasagna from start to finish. But 37 1/2-Minute Skillet Lasagna doesn’t have quite the same ring to it, does it? So if you like to hand grate your cheese and prefer your pasta on the tender side rather than al dente, it is totally acceptable to go a bit over the half-hour mark. Even if you do, I think you’ll find that this recipe is still quick, still easy, and still sooooo worth the minimal effort for maximum deliciousness!

30-Minute Skillet Lasagna ~ quick and easy, savory and cheesy, one pot, stovetop dinner | FiveHeartHome.com So what type of meals do you rely on when life and schedules get crazy? If I’m not utilizing my slow cooker during the week, whatever I’m making for dinner pretty much needs to take 30 minutes or less. As a result, this yummy Skillet Lasagna is often-requested at our house…and I’m always happy to oblige, because not only is it effortless to make, but I’m quite adept at scarfing it down myself. ๐Ÿ˜‰

30-Minute Skillet Lasagna

6 servings

30-Minute Skillet Lasagna

• 1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
  • Water
  • 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • Garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 5 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian herbs (such as basil, oregano, thyme, parsley), divided
  • 8 ounces bow-tie pasta (farfalle)
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese

1. Pour can of diced tomatoes (with juices) into a 1-quart liquid measuring cup. Add water until the mixture measures 4 cups. Stir in tomato sauce and sugar; set aside.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil; tilt pan to coat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and stir for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add ground beef and cook until done. Drain grease, season meat with garlic salt and pepper, to taste, and stir in 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped herbs.
  3. Scatter pasta over meat and pour tomato mixture over pasta without stirring. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, covered, stirring every 5 minutes. Cook until pasta is tender, for about 20 to 25 minutes.
  4. Remove skillet from heat and stir in mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more garlic salt, pepper, and/or sugar, if necessary. Remove from heat and dollop heaping tablespoons of ricotta all over surface of pasta mixture. Cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining fresh herbs and Parmesan.

I use a 5 1/2-quart saute pan when making this recipe, but any large, deep skillet (with a lid) should work.

Each time you stir the lasagna, push down on the pasta so that it's all submerged in tomato sauce before recovering with the lid.

If sauce is evaporating too quickly during 20 minute simmering time, additional tomato sauce and/or water may be stirred in as needed.

Use your favorite fresh herbs. You may use all basil or a combination of basil, oregano, thyme, parsley. If you don't have fresh herbs, you may use dried (but use less since dried herbs are more concentrated).

Be sure to taste and adjust seasonings at the end before topping with the ricotta. If the tomatoes sauce is too acidic, add a bit more sugar.

This recipe is one that I’ve been making for years, but I
believe it was originally adapted from Cooks Illustrated.

More quick and easy suppers!

Slow Cooker Chicken Sloppy Joes
Slow Cooker Chicken Sloppy Joes ~ juicy shredded chicken meets homemade sauce in these effortless sandwiches | FiveHeartHome.com

Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom Gravy
Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom Gravy ~ quick stovetop supper featuring tender medallions of pork in a savory mushroom gravy | FiveHeartHome.com

ย Slow Cooker Asian Beef Short Ribs
Slow Cooker Asian Beef Short Ribs ~ tender, savory beef from the crock pot, flavored with garlic, ginger, and sesame oil | FiveHeartHome.com

Easy Italian Baked Chicken
Easy Italian Baked Chicken ~ juicy on the inside, crunchy on the outside, and oven-ready in a matter of minutes! | FiveHeartHome.com

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff {with no ‘Cream of X’ soup}
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff ~ easy crock pot meal featuring tender beef and hearty mushrooms in a sour cream sauce | FiveHeartHome.com

Cheesy Biscuit Cups {using whatever leftover meat you have on hand}
Cheesy Biscuit Cups ~ a quick and easy meal that uses up leftover taco filling, spaghetti sauce, sloppy joe meat, chili, pulled pork, chopped brisket, etc. | {Five Heart Home}

Maple-Glazed Sausage & Apple Kabobs
Maple Glazed Sausage and Apple Kabobs ~ slices of chicken apple sausage are alternated with apple chunks, brushed with maple syrup, and roasted on skewers | {Five Heart Home}

And see all of our recipes <<< HERE!

This post may be linked up to House of Rose, 4 Little Fergusons, and these fabulous parties!

Comments

1. Sometimes (often), 30 minutes is all we’ve got, so this is a perfect weeknight meal for the family. Love it!

I hear ya, Matt…it’s very rare that I ever have more than 30 minutes to make dinner! Thanks so much for stopping by…hope you’re having a great week! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Can you freeze the leftovers way to much for us? But wantto mke love love LOVE the sound of and the time too,!,,!

Hi Ern! You should be able to freeze these leftovers just fine. But keep in mind that pasta can become a little mushy after freezing and thawing, so be sure not to overcook it in the first place. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you enjoy!

2. Quick and easy meals are the thing for me. I found your recipe over at the Two Cup Tuesday link party.ย  I host Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday and would love it if you would come over and share this recipe.ย  Iโ€™m sure our party goers would love it!ย  Have a wonderful day!

Thanks so much for the kind words and the link party invite…Lori…I just hopped over and linked up! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. I love lasagna. I am going to have to try the skillet type. It’s hard to imagine. But it looks good. Obviously it works out well!

Oh, it’s so good, Carol…and so easy! If you’re a lasagna fan, you should definitely give this recipe a try. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope your day is off to a great start…thanks for stopping by!

4. Samantha, this pan of cheesy goodness is really speaking to my soul right now ๐Ÿ™‚ And the fact that it only takes 30 minutes makes me want to whip this up for dinner this very instant ๐Ÿ™‚

Ha ha, Amy…thank you! I, for one, can never resist a pan of cheesy goodness. Glad to know I’m not alone! ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Jennifer Machann says:

I made your 30 min Skillet Lasagna tonight and we loved it!! Thanks for the great recipe!!

Awww…I’m so happy to hear that it was a hit, Jennifer! I’m glad you had a chance to try it, and I appreciate you coming back to let me know that y’all enjoyed it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Friday!

6. Just added to my must try folder!!!

7. I’m planning on making this tonight!! Look yummy! I was wondering how many servings this would yield?

Hi Angela! That’s a great question, and something that I totally intended to include with the recipe. So sorry…I’ll go back and add it now! This recipe yields about 6 servings, unless you have people that eat way more or less than average. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope you enjoy!

Ha — I just went back to add the number of servings to the recipe, and it’s already there in small print just below the title of the recipe. Just wanted to point it out for future reference in case you ever decide to make another recipe from the site. It’s kind of hiding there! ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. Oh thanks for pointing that out!

No problem at all, Angela! That tiny print is really easy to miss. I just wanted to make sure you knew it was there in case you ever want to make any other recipes on the site…although it’s certainly possible that I’ve inadvertently left off the serving size info on at least a few of them! ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Literally drooling over this and I don’t even like lasagna!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Need to have it asap.. looks so saucey and delicious. Pinned girl!!

Ha, Krista…well I’m totally flattered if this converts you into a lasagna lover (or at least ‘liker’)! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks so much for the pin, and I hope you had a fabulous Labor Day weekend!

10. This sounds fabulous! Love skillet suppers!

Thanks so much, Jaren. I totally agree…if dinner came be made by dirtying just one pan, sign me up! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have a wonderful week!

11. This. Looks. So. Good! I love that the ricotta cheese is added on top – so pretty! Printing it now to try later on this week ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks so much, Michelle! That ricotta on top just might be my favorite part… ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m glad you’re going to try this one and I hope you love it when you do! Have a great week!

12. I’m trying this tonight. Can’t wait. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Hi, your recipe looks amazing. Do you add the pasta to the skillet dry or cooked? I’m assuming dry since you didn’t mention cooking it first, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Hi Sarah! Yes, you are correct…add the pasta to the skillet dry. Everything will cook in that one pan all at the same time! ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you enjoy this when you try it!

14. Brittney says:

Just made this for dinner tonight!! It was a huge hit with the family! It was delicious!!

I’m so happy to hear that, Brittney, and I really appreciate you stopping back by to let me know that this recipe was a hit at your house! ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you have a great week!

15. I’m going out to dinner tonight with the girls, so I made this for the 2 1/2 y/o and my husband for them to eat. I just tried it…I wish I was eating home with them, it is delicious!! I’m hoping there are leftovers so we can have this tomorrow night too!

I hope they loved it, Lynn…and I hope they left you some leftovers! If not, you’ll just have to make it again soon… ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks so much for taking the time to comment…happy Friday!

16. My husband is not a fan of ricotta cheese. What would you recommend as a replacement? More mozzarella and Parmesan? In what ratio do you think?

Hi Kyra! You can absolutely leave out the ricotta if you’d like…it just gives the tomato sauce a creaminess. If you’d like an extra cheesy dish, feel free to swap out the ricotta for an extra cup of mozzarella. Honestly, it’s a forgiving recipe, and it’s hard to add too much cheese. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope y’all enjoy it!

17. Ive been working on a new meal plan and this one was a hit for me in regards to making, and a hit for my very picky family! 5 Stars!

So happy to hear it, Tiffany! What an honor to earn 5 stars…I’m glad this recipe was a hit with your family, and thanks for letting me know! ๐Ÿ˜‰

18. Leonie Trevanion says:

Looking forward to trying this. Thanks for recipe and pictures.

19. Tried this and it turned out great! Took a little longer but I was being extra careful to follow follow instructions. Love the sauce! Sure beats canned sauce!

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed this, Shun! I love that you can tweak the sauce to your own tastes. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for taking the time to comment!

20. Stephanie says:

I feel like every week I cook the same things, so a few weeks ago I decided to make one new recipe a week. I made your skillet lasagna tonight for my husband and mother in law…and I was excited to use fresh herbs from my garden. Thanks for the recipe! We all loved it!

Yay…I’m so glad this was a hit with your family, Stephanie! And I totally agree…fresh herbs from the garden improve any recipe. ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Carolyn says:

Made this tonight and have to say it was soooo good. Both hubby and I gobbled it down and happy to have leftovers for some night during the week. I made it just as written – didn’t change a thing. ๐Ÿ™‚

So happy to hear y’all enjoyed this, Carolyn! And tasty leftovers are always a plus… ๐Ÿ™‚

22. Made this today. Soooo delicious. Thank you!

Happy to hear it, Monie…so glad it was a hit! And you’re very welcome. ๐Ÿ™‚

23. Would it work if I was to pre cook the noodles then just add them at the end?

That would probably work, Selena, but you’ll still want to simmer the sauce in order for it to reduce/thicken a bit. Also keep in mind that if you don’t cook the pasta in the sauce, you may end up with more liquid at the end since the pasta wasn’t there to absorb any of it. Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

24. Hi, how many cups of water do you use? I don’t have a quart measuring cup ๐Ÿ™

Hi Erica! You just need enough water to bring the total amount of liquid + tomatoes up to 4 cups, or 32 ounces. So if the can of tomatoes with juices is 28 ounces, you’ll need an additional 4 ounces (1/2 cup) water. Hope that helps!

25. Do you think soy meat or tvp can be used if we don’t eat meat?

Hi Malki! I honestly don’t have any experience cooking with soy meat or other meat substitutes. However, if it can be successfully substituted for ground beef in other recipes, I imagine it would work just fine in this one. Good luck!

26. Very new to cooking and made this for my italian boyfriend last night- went down a treat!

27. I don’t have a 1 quart measuring cup could you give a guesstimate on how much water is needed?

28. THIS IS AMAZING! I’m super picky, and I ate this every day for 4 days HAPPILY. I was sad when it ran out. I will make this over and over again.

Oh, it makes me so happy to hear that you enjoyed this recipe so much, Janelle! Thanks for coming back to share your enthusiastic review… ๐Ÿ™‚

29. Made this tonight! It was easy, fast, and quite delicious! Will definitely make it again and again in the future. Thank you for sharing it!

I’m thrilled to hear that it was a hit, Shannon! Hope you enjoy this Skillet Lasagna for many years into the future… ๐Ÿ™‚

30. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’ve made it several times and each time it is amazing. I’ve taken to adding in mushrooms and spinach for texture.

So happy to hear that this skillet lasagna is on your regular rotation, Lisa! And I love the idea of adding mushrooms and spinach…I’ll have to try that sometime!

31. Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned?

I haven’t tried it, Vanessa, but I imagine you can. However, it may take some experimenting to figure out the appropriate amount of extra liquid to add to make up for the juices that would have been in the canned tomatoes. I would probably put about 3 1/2 cups fresh diced tomatoes in the 4-cup measuring cup and then fill it up with water to the 4-cup line, as indicated in the original directions. Then I’d monitor the liquid level closely as the dish cooks. Again, I haven’t actually tried this, but I think it would work. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck!

32. Blair Lutner says:

Do you measure the pasta by weight or measure? 8 ounces, as in 1 cup, or 8 ounces as in half a pound?

Hi Blair! That’s a great question and one that many people are confused by. 8 ounces = 1 cup is the equivalent for measuring liquids. So since pasta is a dry ingredient, it’s measured by weight, and 1 cup of bowtie pasta does not weigh 8 ounces. 8 ounces of bowtie pasta actually measure out to about 3 cups. So this recipe could either say 8 ounces of pasta (meaning its weight, as in half a pound) or 3 cups pasta (by measuring it in a cup) to mean the same thing. I choose to list 8 ounces in this recipe because it’s easy to just eyeball half of a 1-pound bag. Also, different sizes of pasta can measure differently…so if I say 3 cups, a large bowtie pasta is going to fit less ounces per 3 cups than a smaller bowtie pasta, and that can throw off the proportions of the recipe. The main thing to remember is that only liquid ingredients will follow the standard of 8 ounces = 1 cup. I hope that long-winded explanation helps and makes sense. And I hope you enjoy this recipe if you decide to give it a try! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Blair Lutner says:

Thanks so much for your answer! I guessed that’s what the recipe needed, 1 cup didn’t seem like nearly enough. I made this the other night and we all loved it, including my 17 month old who had seconds!

1. […] 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna by Five Heart Home […]

2. […] 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna from Five Heart Home […]

3. […] 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna – Five Heart Home […]

4. […] 30-Minute Skillet Lasagna […]

5. […] 30-Minuteย Skillet Lasagna from Five Heart Home […]

6. […] Recipeย is adapted from HERE ย  […]

7. […] Given my lack of brain power, I instead opted to pick from theย recipes I’d already pinned (imagine that!) and went with the first one that looked mildly appetizing: 30-minute skillet lasagna. […]

8. […] 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna via Five Heart Home […]

9. […] One Pot Skillet Lasagna! It seriously doesn’t get any easier than this. Season & brown beef (or turkey), add […]

10. […] Tuesday โ€“ 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna […]

11. […] 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna can’t be beat! Doesn’t it look amazing? My kind of […]

12. […] Even kids that hate tomatoes will eat them when they’re pureed and mixed with pasta and some cheese. Recipe here. […]

13. […] 30-Minute Skillet Lasagnaย from Five Heart Home […]

14. […] I also tried TWO brand new recipes that were home-runs for us –ย Pinot Grigio Chicken and Skillet Lasagna! I would happily recommend these to anyone! That chicken recipe will be aย new summer regular, I […]

15. […] close, made another great Pinterest recipe last night called Skillet Lasagna.ย ย Easier and possibly better tasting than classic lasagna.ย  Oh, and David gives this one a […]

16. […] 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna from Five Heart Home […]

17. […] 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna-ย Fiveย Heart Home […]

18. […] Less work and just as delicious. Recipe here. […]

19. […] Less work and just as delicious. Recipe here. […]

20. […] Less work and just as delicious. Recipe here. […]

21. […] Less work and just as delicious. Recipe here. […]

22. […] Less work and just as delicious. Recipe here. […]

23. […] Skillet lasagnaย (haven’t made this before. I feel like it’s going to be the star of the week, and thus a repeat for us) […]