Overnight Oats, 3 Ways ~ PB Banana, Raspberry Nutella, & Coconut Almond

Creamy, wholesome Overnight Oats are as simple as refrigerating a mixture ofΒ oats, milk, and yogurt overnight for an instant, no-cook breakfast…and they can be flavored with your favorite additions, like PB Banana, Raspberry Nutella, or Coconut Almond!

Overnight Oats, 3 Ways: Peanut Butter Banana, Raspberry Nutella, and Coconut Almond flavors ~ refrigerate a mixture of oats, milk, and yogurt overnight for a creamy, wholesome, instant, no-cook breakfast! | FiveHeartHome.com Welllll…even though I may very well be the last one to hop on the Overnight Oats bandwagon, I do believe I am the newest, most enthusiastic member.

Overnight Oats, 3 Ways: Peanut Butter Banana, Raspberry Nutella, and Coconut Almond flavors ~ refrigerate a mixture of oats, milk, and yogurt overnight for a creamy, wholesome, instant, no-cook breakfast! | FiveHeartHome.com Y’ALL. Have you tried Overnight Oats before? I am blown away at how effortless they are, how good they are, how nourishing they are. And the possibilities for dressing them up? Endless. I did a little experimentation this round to come up with Peanut Butter Banana, Raspberry Nutella, and Coconut Almond flavors, but I honestly can’t decide which one I like the best. I’m only sorry that I didn’t try this genius concoction sooner!

So for all of you OO novices out there like myself, allow me to explain. Before heading to bed, you basically combine regular rolled oats with yogurt and milk. To that mixture you add a few additional ingredients for texture and flavor. Then you simply cover and pop it in the fridge…and in the morning, your creamy, filling, wholesome breakfast is ready and waiting!

The flavor of your oats will, of course, depend upon the extra ingredients you decide to add. As far as texture, the closest thing to which I can compare these Overnight Oats would be a thick, luxurious pudding. The oats soften and swell up and the whole mixture becomes thick and creamy…it’s almost like eating dessert for breakfast, really. πŸ˜‰ Once you make this recipe a time or two, you’ll get a sense for whether you prefer your oats creamier or drier (necessitating more or less milk/yogurt). Finally, it’s easy to tweak the sweetness of this recipe by using plain versus vanilla yogurt, or you can always add a little honey or maple syrup as a natural sweetener.

Now let’s talk about the specific ways I decided to embellish my Overnight Oats (though keep in mind that the possibilities are endless).

Option A is Peanut Butter Banana, and it’s as easy as it sounds. Simply mash a banana and stir it into your oat mixture along with a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter. Mix in a sprinkle of cinnamon, a pinch of salt, and a squeeze of honey, and you’re good to go. As you can see, I topped my jar of oats with an additional dollop of PB, some sliced bananas, and a few chopped peanuts, but you don’t have to go to the trouble unless you want to…that was mainly for the photo op. Rumor has it that a few mini chocolate chips might be decadently delicious on this variation as well… πŸ˜‰

Next up, we have a Raspberry Nutella flavor! Again, it’s perfectly straightforward with additions of (wait for it!) raspberries and Nutella. In the morning, I added extra raspberries on top as well as some toasted, sliced almonds for crunch, but just about any nut would be tasty.

My final Overnight Oats inspiration for you is Coconut Almond. This variation actually gets a bit thicker than the others thanks to the coconut, so feel free to thin it out with a splash of extra milk, if you wish. I chose to use coconut milk in this one to make it even more coconutty, as well as vanilla yogurt instead of plain. Then I topped it with more coconut and a handful of crunchy almonds. And by the way, if you decide to add chocolate chips to this one, you could just go ahead and call it Almond Joy Overnight Oats. Mmm-mmm-MMMM!

So have I convinced you to give Overnight Oats a spin? They’re my new favorite breakfast. They’re easy and make-ahead, they’re healthy and filling, picky kids love ’em…what more can you ask of a way to start your morning?

Overnight Oats, 3 Ways ~ PB Banana, Raspberry Nutella, & Coconut Almond

Yield: 1 to 2 servings

Overnight Oats, 3 Ways ~ PB Banana, Raspberry Nutella, & Coconut Almond

Creamy, wholesome Overnight Oats are as simple as refrigerating a mixture of oats, milk, and yogurt overnight for an instant, no-cook breakfast! Best of all, they can be flavored with your favorite additions, like Peanut Butter Banana, Raspberry Nutella, or Coconut Almond!

• PEANUT BUTTER BANANA:
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 medium banana)
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
  • 1 teaspoon honey (more or less, to taste)
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt
  • *Optional Toppings: banana slices, dollop of PB, chopped peanuts, mini chocolate chips
  • _
  • RASPBERRY NUTELLA:
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons Nutella
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup raspberries
  • *Optional Toppings: additional raspberries, drizzle of Nutella, toasted almond slices or other nuts
  • _
  • COCONUT ALMOND:
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup coconut milk
  • 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • *Optional Toppings: additional shredded coconut, 1/4 cup toasted almond slices, mini chocolate chips

1. In a bowl or a jar, mix together oats, milk, and yogurt. Stir in any additional ingredients and flavorings (but not the toppings). Cover and refrigerate for several hours up to overnight. Before serving, stir in desired toppings.

Tips, Tricks, & Variations

You may use your favorite type of milk in Overnight Oats. You may use regular or Greek yogurt, but if using Greek, it might be necessary to add a bit more milk to thin it out. You may use plain or vanilla yogurt. Honey or maple syrup may be used to sweeten the oats to taste, if you wish.

For the Coconut Almond variation, I use the type of coconut milk that is sold in a carton in the refrigerated section (near the soy milk, etc.). Canned coconut milk would also work (and probably taste richer/more decadent).

For the Raspberry Nutella version, I don't stir in the raspberries at the same time as the the oats and other ingredients, so as not to break them up. Rather, I just pile them on top of the oats and then gently stir them in before serving.

You may add a teaspoon or two of chia seeds or flaxseeds to your oat mixture, if you want to boost the nutrition even more.

I don't recommend using quick oats as they will get too mushy. Steel cut oats are not recommended either, as they won't soften adequately.

Adapted from KathEats.

More wholesome breakfast ideas

Eggnog Overnight Oats
Eggnog Overnight Oats ~ with just five ingredients and two minutes of prep before bed, you can wake up to a creamy, wholesome, ready-to-eat holiday breakfast! | FiveHeartHome.com

Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal
Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal ~ a tasty, wholesome breakfast recipe featuring rolled oats, grated carrots, coconut oil, and maple syrup, with flavors of the classic dessert | FiveHeartHome.com

{Dairy-Free} Coconut Waffles
Dairy-Free Coconut Waffles ~ made with whole wheat pastry flour, coconut milk, coconut oil, and honey...tender, golden, and delicious! | FiveHeartHome.com

Homemade Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
Whole Wheat Pancake Mix ~ keep a jar of this all-natural homemade mix in your pantry for a quick and easy breakfast of fluffy, 100% whole wheat buttermilk pancakes! | FiveHeartHome.com

Green Chile Cheddar Egg Bake
Green Chile Cheddar Egg Bake ~ this flavorful crustless quiche is a quick, easy breakfast that's perfect for serving to overnight houseguests or hungry family members any morning of the week | FiveHeartHome.com

Healthy Oat Smoothies ~ Blueberry Muffin & Peach Cobbler Flavors
Healthy Oat Smoothies {Blueberry Muffin & Peach Cobbler Flavors} ~ thick, filling smoothies featuring oats, yogurt, and frozen fruit taste just like blueberry muffins and peach cobbler! | FiveHeartHome.com

Oats & Honey Granola Bars
Oats and Honey Granola Bars ~ these homemade, all-natural granola bars are baked until slightly crunchy, making them the perfect breakfast-on-the-go or a wholesome, portable snack | FiveHeartHome.com

And see all of our PRINTABLES <<< here!

This post may be linked up to Mandy’s Recipe Box, The Better Baker, and these fabulous parties!

Comments

1. I love overnight oats! I haven’t had them in forever! Can’t wait to try your coconut almond version πŸ™‚

I wish I would have discovered them sooner, Megan…where in the world have I been?! πŸ˜‰ I hope you love this coconut almond variation if you have a chance to try it. πŸ™‚ Happy Friday!

2. I love love love these! Images…..totally gorgeous! I can’t wait to make these for the kids!

You are too sweet, Gina. I wasn’t sure how I was going to make oats look pretty — ha! πŸ˜‰ Hope your kids enjoy these if you have a chance to make them. Have a great weekend, friend!

3. Samantha,

Just a note to say your blog is so well done! Your photography is beautiful. Your recipes look, sound and the ones I’ve tried taste phenomenal! I love hearing and seeing the tidbits about your beautiful family (without being overwhelmed in the minutiae) haha!
    I love reading about other Texans ⭐️ Job well done!

I have a lot of food allergies and sensitities, so I adapt some of your recipes for me, others I just cook for family and friends.
    Keep up the great work.
    Lee Ann
    P.S. Your overnight oats are beautiful! I would make mine glutenfree & with almond milk!

What a sweet comment, Lee Ann…thank you! Your note totally made me smile. πŸ™‚ I’m so happy to hear that you enjoy my blog and my recipes, and I appreciate your kind words about my photography. I have a lot to learn but I strive to get a little better each day. πŸ˜‰ And I’m glad that you’re able to adapt a lot of my recipes to be gluten-free so that you can enjoy them as well! Thanks again for taking the time to comment…I really appreciate my regular, longtime readers, and yay for fellow Texans! πŸ™‚ Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

4. If I don’t like traditional oats (I prefer steel cut for a raw, crunchy meal) will I hate this too? I’d hate to try and not be able to gag them down if they are the constancy of regular oatmeal. Could I do it using steel cut? Would the steal cut end up like regular oats if it sat overnight? Please some one with experience tell me!! πŸ™‚

Hi Miranda! I would say that these Overnight Oats do have the consistency of regular oatmeal, although perhaps a little bit creamier. You could always try making a tiny batch — like 1 tablespoon regular oats + 1 tablespoon yogurt + 1 tablespoon milk — just to gauge whether or not you’d like the consistency without wasting a bunch of ingredients. You might end up liking steel-cut oats in this recipe, however, if you like crunchy oatmeal. I don’t think they’d soften to the same point as regular oats, but I can’t say for sure. Again, you could always try a mini batch to see how much they soften. πŸ™‚ Sorry I can’t be of more help…good luck if you decide to try them!

5. bc in edmond says:

I’ve seen a dozen recipes for overnight oats, but I just don’t understand – do you eat this cold? I love oatmeal, but I’ve never eaten it cold – it’s a little scary to me! help!

It does sound a little strange, BC, and I wondered the same thing before I tried it! Yes, you eat Overnight Oats cold. But it’s almost like eating creamy pudding…not like eating regular cooked oatmeal that’s gotten cold and lumpy. πŸ˜‰ That being said, I think you could totally heat it in the microwave in the morning, if that’s your preference. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a try!

• bc in edmond says:

I will definitely give it a try – thanks so much for your quick reply – I love your site and recipes πŸ™‚

6. OH.MY.GOODNESS! I’m freaking out of your glorious flavor combos. ;-} I already love overnight oatmeal cups…and you pushed that idea to the max with these flavors. Gotta make some soon. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck!!!

Thanks so much, Marsha! I think I’m probably the last one on the Overnight Oats train…but now that I’ve tried them, I’m definitely a fan. πŸ™‚ Hope you enjoy these new flavor combos, and hope you’re having a great week!

7. I really enjoy your blog. I just found you recently and I love your recipes. I have tried OO and I like them. Can I make a “batch” and have them for several days or do they not hold up well for more than one night in the frig?

I also love that you put them in mason jars – cute idea!! Your flavor combinations look good too, I can’t wait to try them.

Hi Beth! Thanks so much for your sweet words about my blog! Personally, I still enjoy overnight oats after they’ve been in the fridge for more than one night. They do get softer with time, so I think it’s just a matter of personal preference. But I’ve made a big batch and eaten on it for three days or so…it just depends on your preferred texture, as the texture does change a bit with time. πŸ™‚ Hope you enjoy these OOs when you give them a try!

8. Hi! Awesome idea. Just a quick question. Are you required to cook the oatmeal first? Thanks!

Hi Kenny! I apologize for my delayed reply…I’ve been out of the country. Hopefully you already figured it out, but no, you do not need to cook the oats first. You just combine them raw with the other ingredients and they soften overnight. Hope you enjoy(ed) these if you have(had) a chance to try them!

9. I tried these 3 recipes the past three days and I am in love with overnight oats! The raspberry Nutella is my fav – but all 3 are awesome. Thanks so much for sharing! Have a happy day!

You’re very welcome, Linda! I’m so glad that you discovered overnight oats and enjoyed these variations! I have a special place in my heart for that Raspberry Nutella one, too… πŸ˜‰ Thanks for taking the time to comment and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

10. Daybelis C. says:

Hi! I love the idea of these recipes, can’t wait to try them out. I wanted to ask if you can also warm or heat them up in the morning?

Hi Daybelis! I think most people eat Overnight Oats straight out of the fridge, but I don’t see why you couldn’t warm them up if you like. Try it both ways and see which one you prefer…enjoy! πŸ™‚

11. I cannot stop making the peanut butter version of this. I use 1/2 cup of oats and the same measurements for everything else. So good!!! And my kids love it too. I love that I can fix it while I’m also making dinner and breakfast is covered.

I’m so happy to hear that this recipe is a hit at your house, Stacy! And I totally agree…the peanut butter version is definitely addictive, and it’s so nice having breakfast already made when you wake up. πŸ™‚ Thanks for taking the time to comment and I hope you have a great weekend!

• I just made the nutella but substituted with strawberries because I didn’t have raspberries. Has anyone asked you what the 21 Day Fix container breakdown would be on this?? Thank you!

Oooo, I bet strawberries + Nutella was just as yummy as raspberries, Carolyn! I’m sorry that I don’t know anything about the 21 Day Fix…hopefully somebody else can help you with the info you need. πŸ™‚ Hope your 2106 is off to a great start!

1. […] Overnight Oats, 3 Ways […]