Ultimate Mexican Street Corn Dip is warm, creamy, and loaded with a mouthwatering combo of ingredients…corn, cotija cheese, avocado, bacon, jalapeños, cilantro, and chipotle chile powder for the perfect amount of smoky heat!
If you’ve been yearning for that perfect dip recipe for your Super Bowl-watching festivities, your search has now ended. Seriously. This Ultimate Mexican Street Corn Dip is everything you could possibly want in a dip and more. Warm and creamy. Salty and smoky and spicy. Absolutely amazing.
This recipe is — obviously — inspired by ever-so-delicious Mexican Street Corn, which typically involves some incarnation of coating grilled corn in a creamy, cayenne-specked sauce and then rolling the whole shebang in crumbled cotija cheese. So I decided to take the concept up a notch (or twelve) by adding chunks of avocado, crispy chopped bacon, minced jalapeño, and fresh cilantro…AKA, some of my favorite ingredients on earth. And instead of cayenne, I decided to swap in chipotle chile powder, which lends a smoky undertone along with its heat.
There are two occasions per year that my little family o’ five has a tradition of sitting in front of the TV while enjoying a dinner composed entirely of appetizers: New Year’s Eve (yep, we’re wild and crazy like that), and Super Bowl Sunday. And let me just tell you…we all look forward to these biannual meals of dips and spreads and little snacks. I typically make a few old favorites while also trying out a few new recipes, and it’s always fun to load our plates and compare and critique all of the different yummy bites.
The idea for this Ultimate Mexican Street Corn Dip actually came to me a few weeks ago when some friends invited us over to watch our college alma mater’s football bowl game. Our hosts were grilling and I was instructed not to bring anything. But since I’m not physically capable of showing up to a get-together empty-handed, I threw my always-popular Slow Cooker Creamy Cheesy Corn in the crock pot as a quick and easy side dish to accompany the grilled chicken and ribs.
However, with the game on and the adults grazing and the kids ransacking the spread of food, nobody was really fixing themselves a formal “plate.” So instead of eating it as a side dish, someone started dipping up scoops of Creamy Cheesy Corn with tortilla chips. And then the idea caught on. Man, was it a good dip! In fact, I commented that night that I should convert it into an appetizer recipe for my blog. And so — having jazzed it up in my brain about 1000% since I first got the idea — here we are. 😉
I’ve seen other variations of Mexican Street Corn Dip over the years, but I decided to coin this one ULTIMATE because — hello! — avocado and bacon. I ask you…what on earth couldn’t be improved by the addition of avocado and bacon?! The chunks of avocado add creamy richness and the bacon adds decadence. Then there’s the salty cotija cheese…and the zippy jalapenos…and the punchy fresh cilantro…all enveloped in sweet corn and a warm chipotle-spiked cream cheese sauce.
The addition of chipotle chile pepper powder is perhaps my favorite aspect of this dip. Since chipotles are smoked hot chile peppers, the ground spice by the same name lends yet another layer of flavor to this Ultimate Mexican Street Corn Dip in the form of smoky heat. You can control exactly how much heat by tweaking the amount. I found 1 teaspoon to be the perfect ratio in this dip for a medium level of spiciness. But if you like things milder, you can cut that amount in half…or if you prefer no heat at all, you could swap out the chipotle chile powder for regular ol’ chili powder, plus 1/4 teaspoon or so of smoked paprika so that you don’t lose the smokiness.
So do you watch the Super Bowl? And if so, are you in it for the football or the commercials or the food? If the latter is the case, I highly recommend adding Ultimate Mexican Street Corn Dip to your spread this year…and every year after that! I can assure you that, two weeks before game day has even arrived, it’s already secured a permanent spot on our annual Super Bowl appetizers roster. 😉
Ultimate Mexican Street Corn Dip Recipe
Ultimate Mexican Street Corn Dip
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cubed and at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper powder, more or less, to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (24-ounce) bag frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 large ripe avocado, diced
- 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese, divided
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 jalapeno, seeds & membranes removed, minced
- In a large pot set over low heat, melt cream cheese and butter. Mix in milk until mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in chipotle chile pepper powder, salt, cumin, and pepper. Stir in corn, all but a handful of the avocado, 3/4 cup crumbled cotija, all but a handful of the bacon, cilantro, and jalapeno. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until all ingredients are heated through.
- Transfer to a large bowl (or a small slow cooker set to WARM). Garnish with reserved avocado, cotija cheese, and bacon, as well as additional chopped cilantro and a sprinkle of chipotle chile powder. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
- The melted butter and cream cheese may seem lumpy as you try to stir them together, but once you stir in the milk, the mixture should become smooth.
- Chipotle Chile Pepper Powder is different than regular Chili Powder. Chipotle Chile Pepper Powder is smoked hot chile peppers ground into a powder. Chili Powder is a spice blend that's milder in its heat level. The two should not be used interchangeably in equal amounts because Chipotle Chile Pepper Powder is much spicer.
- If not serving the dip immediately, stir in the avocado chunks just before serving...otherwise, they'll turn brown.
Adapted from Creamy Cheesy Corn Casserole